• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Hey brother.. I am by no means saying I'm the smartest person registered on this forum. What I *am* saying is that this thread isn't a shining example of intellect and higher debate.

The irony of the quoted post is truly remarkable.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Best analogy of the state of things that I've heard so far. It also suggests the libertarian/third party answer:

"Which would you rather have? Broken bones and infection? Or an arterial bleed? Choose."

"Um, neither."

So, the Libertarians offer Bob Barr, so, "instead of treating any of the injuries, we'll just give you a case of pneumonia to go with 'em." The Libertarian label is not the panacea it is claimed to be.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    c) You also realize that even if you *did* make some kind of minor point regarding superfluous usage of a given logical fallacy, that 90% of the people reading this wouldn't have the capability of understanding why. They'd pretty much respond with "Just like a Democrat to say that!!" (read this page for veracity of that observation.)

Dude, I was with you up to a point... I'm not sure where that point was, but you were making some good arguments, and now you're just trying to make it personal. You scored some nice ones in observing that the Republicans accomplished only 2 things by being in power: jack and squat.

There are a few examples of Big Dog & Me Too around here, as well as a fair number of Furious Typers; there are on any board. I would even submit that we have a male version of the Cyber Sisters. We all have our foibles, and nobody is going to be Spock-perfect in every debate, not even you. Chill a little; folks tend to respond better to a respectful argument. It's a lesson I'm learning myself... very slowly.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Or maybe I should just attempt to insult you based on the number of books you have read, because when someone doesn't agree with you it means they are uneducated and/or ignorant. I bet I've read more than you. Nah nah nah-nah nah. I also have a nicer car, more guns and a larger penis.

WOOT! It's about time someone broke out the e-peen!!! :rockwoot:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ........ We all have our foibles, and nobody is going to be Spock-perfect in every debate, not even you. ............

orly_spock.jpg

Then you have your trouble making types........ :whistle:

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Stop the bleeding. Then worry about the broken bones and sepsis.

The metaphor is not saying the other things aren't bad. It's saying they can wait while we deal with more critical things now.

Your point is well taken, truly. I'm thinking the metaphor is starting to break apart, or perhaps even that the patient's death might be the merciful thing, but that's a discussion for another time.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    My grandmother, rest her soul, was a Quaker. One of her favorite sayings was"a dodging dog needs a lick" I think the rest is self explanatory.....

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Your point is well taken, truly. I'm thinking the metaphor is starting to break apart, or perhaps even that the patient's death might be the merciful thing, but that's a discussion for another time.

Since the "patient" in question in the metaphor isn't the government or even the nation, but liberty, are you really sure that letting it die is an acceptable option.

While I tend to agree pretty much with the Libertarian minarchist view (main disagreements on where the "min" line is drawn) my major point of contention is tactical.

It doesn't matter how great the gun you miss with is.
    It doesn't matter how great the ammunition you're out of is.
    And it doesn't matter how wonderful the politician who loses is.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    The argument was made that the vast majority of Republicans in power do not represent "conservative" interests in any way shape or form.

Your response was the "No True Scotsman" rubbish, which clearly does not apply here. The fact remains that the vast majority of Republicans in power do not represent "conservative" interests in any way shape or form.

Calling it a "no true scotsman" argument doesn't change its validity.

Also, a slippery slope is not a logical fallacy. It's a fact of physics and of life. How about a real response to the argument?

Or maybe I should just attempt to insult you based on the number of books you have read, because when someone doesn't agree with you it means they are uneducated and/or ignorant. I bet I've read more than you. Nah nah nah-nah nah. I also have a nicer car, more guns and a larger penis.

a) you just committed selection bias, go read the entire thread and my repeated explanation of the difference between the textbook definition and what we can plainly see demonstrated.
    b) i didn't call "slippery slope" a logical fallacy. it's an argument style.

Weren't you going to explain to me how entertaining my misuse of debate tactics was?

Once again... back to the OP. Please, by all means... if it helps you sleep at night to think that I love Obama and I buy Democratic propaganda, have at it. Go kill politicians and see how far it advances our national interests. Debate isn't your strong point, perhaps shooting a target is?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    a) you just committed selection bias, go read the entire thread and my repeated explanation of the difference between the textbook definition and what we can plainly see demonstrated.

Weren't you going to explain to me how entertaining my misuse of debate tactics was?

Once again... back to the OP. Please, by all means... if it helps you sleep at night to think that I love Obama and I buy Democratic propaganda, have at it. Go kill politicians and see how far it advances our national interests. Debate isn't your strong point, perhaps shooting a target is?

129137916565069328.jpg

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ..............Please, by all means... if it helps you sleep at night to think that I love Obama and I buy Democratic propaganda, have at it. Go kill politicians and see how far it advances our national interests. Debate isn't your strong point, perhaps shooting a target is?

Well, I have to give you props, at least you have not called us racists....... yet.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Perm,
    Why are you even in this thread?! You are continually derailing it away from the discussion with the personal attacks on board members. You continually refuse to either dodge members counterpoints.

Your entertainment value is starting to run short...

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Who said they wanted to kill someone? I read people saying they weren't that sad about vandalism.

Your argument is a Fallacious Red Strawman.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you stop throwing out red herrings, I'll stop trolling. :rolleyes:

Using the force of the government gun to make 1 person pay for the healthcare of another is SLAVERY! I'd ask your opinion of property rights but obviously you don't believe in them.

If you don't have the intelectual honesty to admit obamacare is slavery, then buh bye.

Top Bottom