• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Well, we all see things from a different perspective I guess. I think his posts have a lot less drama (approaching zero) than some of the other "let's fight" posts I've seen.

So, are you in love with him, or are you both just more of ArmyMPs sock puppets?

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    LOL thanks for the advice. It means SOOOO much from you, because, as I'm certain you can tell, I find you so credible, such a valuable source of information.

You make a good Soviet mouthpiece... but you've yet to express a thought that was actually your own. Even your disdain for the poor, your willingness to see them die, isn't your own thought.

This isn't logic. It's just parroting,and it makes you boring. When you learn to think, let me know.

Joe, I've looked at your profile and scanned through your posts. While I appreciate that you're lavishing some attention on me, I'm certainly not offended by your observation that I can't "think."

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The math is fuzzy on the final cost. We're being led to believe that there will be massive cost savings, but no one can predict that. The truth is probably closer to breaking even.. but at the very least insurance companies can't deny pre-existing coverage, etc. Basic reforms that any common person can appreciate, unless I'm the only person in this forum that isn't independently wealthy.

If we want to halt the deficit, I submit we tone down the defense budget a tad.

country-distribution-2008.png

Providing healthcare to everyone for free would be a tiny fraction of our defense expenditure.

That pie chart is just a little inflated don't you think...
    Try again, please...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But there is little logic to his arguments. Just like the pretty graph he posts above. Somehow he is suggesting that our defense expenditures has something to do with the requirement that we owe everyone in the country (heck why stop there, let's help the world with free ObamaCare. It isn't fair that some are not born in this country. They shouldn't be penalized for it.) free health care. Let's give everyone a free home also. Is having shelter and the dignity of home ownership any less important than health care? Or free food, clothing? and good ones at that. Imagine the blow to the poor children's self-esteem when they have to go to school not dressed in the right clothes.

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    That pie chart is just a little inflated don't you think...
    Try again, please...

I could shrink the chart in photoshop to 50% of its original size and repost it I suppose. I'm not certain what that would accomplish.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe, I've looked at your profile and scanned through your posts. While I appreciate that you're lavishing some attention on me, I'm certainly not offended by your observation that I can't "think."

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come along and let you know that you should be, and then you can parrot it back to me.

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    But there is little logic to his arguments. Just like the pretty graph he posts above. Somehow he is suggesting that our defense expenditures has something to do with the requirement that we owe everyone in the country (heck why stop there, let's help the world with free ObamaCare. It isn't fair that some are not born in this country. They shouldn't be penalized for it.) free health care. Let's give everyone a free home also. Is having shelter and the dignity of home ownership any less important than health care? Or free food, clothing? and good ones at that. Imagine the blow to the poor children's self-esteem when they have to go to school not dressed in the right clothes.

Why do we have the right to education or roads or public utilities? Let's just go anarchy.. it was already suggested once in this thread.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You're forgetting that little part about enslaving the producing class to provide for the recipient class. If you are going to sit here and tell me that I should submit to the force of the gun and give my money to a welfare queen to buy her healthcare, you sir are a threat to my liberty and a proponent of slavery. If a person has a right to healthcare, where is the right of the person paying for it to keep what he earns?
    To be fair, we've been enslaved to the recipient class for some time now. Massa just wants some more of our labour with this one. Bush strengthened our chains and indentured our children with his drugs for the old scheme and Obama has just tightened the chains. Perm is correct that we must get the military industrial complex under control. When the majority of our wealth is being diverted to entitlements and war we are truly enslaved.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison

Do you think our founders would say that people have a right to healthcare?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To be fair, we've been enslaved to the recipient class for some time now. Massa just wants some more of our labour with this one. Bush strengthened our chains and indentured our children with his drugs for the old scheme and Obama has just tightened the chains. Perm is correct that we must get the military industrial complex under control. When the majority of our wealth is being diverted to entitlements and war we are truly enslaved.

You're right. We've been enslaved to the recipients since the great depression and the new deal.

Perm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." James Madison

Do you think our founders would say that people have a right to healthcare?

I think our founders were brilliant and wise beyond their time, and certainly well beyond your understanding of a quote that barely applies to this particular legislation. They took education very seriously and would probably be appalled at half the **** posted on this forum. They were the educated "elitists" that this forum disparages in this very thread. They understood basic freedom and liberty in a way you nor I will never fully comprehend.

Do you understand the difference between infrastructure and discretionary expense?

If yes, then proceed to the next question.

Does having a national interstate system of roads support an efficient and solid national infrastructure?

Does an educated population that can conduct itself with civility, carry out research and develop ideas that are useful to all support a solid infrastructure?

Does a healthy population contribute to individual/family unit happiness and support the most productive workforce possible? Is that an integral part of infrastructure?

If you answer no to any of these, I'd be interested to hear why.

Last edited by a moderator:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    "THEY ARE WINNING!" /cue ominous music.

I fail to understand what your complaint is. I see it oft-repeated in this (and other) threads that (paraphrased) we're just one step away from doom, and all we need to do is elect more conservative Repubs and we can turn this thing around!

I've heard of short memory spans, but this is ridiculous. In the last 30 years:

Republican President: 20 years
    Democratic President: 10 years

Republican Senate Majority: 16 years
    Democratic Senate Majority: 12 years

Republican House Majority: 12
    Democratic House Majority: 18

Number of current Supreme Court Justices appointed by Republican presidents: 6
    Number of current Supreme Court Justices appointed by Democratic presidents: 3

By nearly any measure, the "Right Wing" has had total and complete control of the political process in recent history, including recent history where the GOP had control of every legislative branch in America. How did that turn out for everyone? I'd ask you to read "Lehman Brothers: 'A Colossal Failure'" if I thought you could comprehend just how entrenched the government was in complying with (mostly by ignoring) the highly unethical and usually illegal security swaps that were going on. Do you even know what a securities swap is?

The hand you hold is the hand that is holding you down. Are Dems the answer? Probably not. Major internal reform needs to occur... electing more "conservative" Republicans is only an answer to a really bad question.

Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge. - Horace Mann

The "Right wing" (by which you apparently mean "Republicans") is only "right wing" by comparison to the Democrats. Both parties have been progressively moving to the Left for decades. The Republican party isn't quite as far to the left as the Democrats but they are gaining.

And that is how the left is winning.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Then doesn't that beg the question of why the vast majority of people on this forum are proud to be labeled right-wing extremists?

What % of people on this very thread voted for Dubya.. not once, but twice... and are *still* proud of it and believe he was leading us in a new/good/better direction?

I didn't vote for Dubya. I voted against Gore then against Kerry. BTW, in both elections I felt pretty sure that neither Gore nor Kerry (respectively) would take Indiana and so I voted Libertarian (hoping the Republican party would take the hint)--a fairly "safe" protest vote.

In 2008 right before the election there was considerable question. Thus, I voted for Palin and the old guy.

Don't confuse being unhappy with Obama with liking Bush. Don't confuse dislike for what the Democrats are doing with ardent support of the Republicans.

It's like dealing with a badly injured person (said person being metaphor for the Constitution). It's got multiple broken bones and infection (the Republicans) and arterial bleeding (the Democrats). The broken bones and infection are bad (and the infection, untreated, can kill) but neither of them matter if you don't stop the arterial bleeding. One has to keep the patient alive long enough to be able to deal with the infection and the fractures. Get the bleeding stopped, then worry about antibiotics.

When I had my first aid training, we were taught to slap whatever you had handy on a severe wound to stop the bleeding. Asepsis is nice but getting pressure on the wound and getting the bleeding stopped takes priority.

He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Ah yes, the No True Scotsman logical fallacy. Figured that was coming along at some point... didn't think it would be the first response, but I guess today is my lucky day.

No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um, no. Conservatives are those who follow and support conservative positions and values. That's not a fallacy that's a definition.

Just because the media calls them conservatives doesn't make them so.

Top Bottom