• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Honestly I don't get why people get so hung up on the barrel twist between a 1-9 or a 1-7. .

I don't get why folks get hung up on "mil-spec" parts .

My guess is that they feel that a "mil-spec" AR is more reliable than an AR that isn't mil-spec .

To those folks I'd ask , if reliability is an issue have you considered a Galil ?

A simple , rugged Israeli / Russian design using the same .223/5.56 round delivering AR accuracy while maintaining AK reliability .

PSA (and others) sell an adapter that will allow you to use all your AR mags and if lights and lasers are your thing , you can get front rails for them .

Seems to me a good compromise if your "stuck" on using the .223 cartridge . :dunno:

Palmettos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    I tried to do this and there was not an option to add anything else. Is this option when ordering just an M4 upper?

Different uppers do have different options. Most will allow MOE upgrade options (you can also specify color when ordering using the special order instructions). Which upper/kit were you interested in?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I can't complain about the customer service I got from Palmetto. I misunderstood their shipping information and they quickly and politely clarified it for me. If there is some set up I really want and don't see it on a website, I don't ever hesitate to call or email. Besides, it helps me determine if I want to spend my money with them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Different uppers do have different options. Most will allow MOE upgrade options (you can also specify color when ordering using the special order instructions). Which upper/kit were you interested in?

Looks like you're the person to talk to on this. What do you think are the major differences between your AR kits and Del-ton's kits? I'm not trying to put you on the hot seat to bash a competitor, but surely there are some process, material and spec differences that you'd know more about than the rest of us would. In particular I'm looking to build a dissipator.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

My guess is that they feel that a "mil-spec" AR is more reliable than an AR that isn't mil-spec .

I think the majority of people value the mil-spec because those specs have been refined over many years or trial in combat to give the end user the best odds of a durable, accurate, and functioning weapon. It's not ever going to be perfect, the spec has been changed over the years in order to give people the best odds they can of not having a failure when the time counts.

It all depends on what we want our rifles for. There's nothing wrong with mil-spec, and there's nothing wrong with other specs.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010

So we can specify the moe handguard color? I have been looking at one of your uppers but didn't want to get a black handguard then have to change it to fde.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I think the majority of people value the mil-spec because those specs have been refined over many years or trial in combat to give the end user the best odds of a durable, accurate, and functioning weapon. It's not ever going to be perfect, the spec has been changed over the years in order to give people the best odds they can of not having a failure when the time counts.

It all depends on what we want our rifles for. There's nothing wrong with mil-spec, and there's nothing wrong with other specs.

I agree and well put.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Looks like you're the person to talk to on this. What do you think are the major differences between your AR kits and Del-ton's kits? I'm not trying to put you on the hot seat to bash a competitor, but surely there are some process, material and spec differences that you'd know more about than the rest of us would. In particular I'm looking to build a dissipator.

I second this question. I also don't want competitors bashing each other. I will have to say that I was set on Del-ton but I am being pulled more and more to Palmetto.

Palmettos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    So we can specify the moe handguard color? I have been looking at one of your uppers but didn't want to get a black handguard then have to change it to fde.

Yes, you can choose them in BLK, OD, FG, or FDE. Just list what color you would like your Magpul furniture, sights, etc using the special order instructions when ordering.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Yes, you can choose them in BLK, OD, FG, or FDE. Just list what color you would like your Magpul furniture, sights, etc using the special order instructions when ordering.

nice to see you guys show up here again. i admit i was initially frustrated when i ordered my SS middy, but even then how can i be mad when you guys made me a rifle that can put 5 bullets in a quarter-sized hole? :laugh::laugh:

Palmettos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Columbia, SC

I don't have any real experience with Del-Ton, so I cannot make any accurate statements on their product.

However, I can answer questions about our own product if you had any questions.

nice to see you guys show up here again. i admit i was initially frustrated when i ordered my SS middy, but even then how can i be mad when you guys made me a rifle that can put 5 bullets in a quarter-sized hole? :laugh::laugh:

That is some nice shooting..I'm glad that you are happy with your upper. Thanks again for your business.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

To those folks I'd ask , if reliability is an issue have you considered a Galil ?

A simple , rugged Israeli / Russian design using the same .223/5.56 round delivering AR accuracy while maintaining AK reliability .

PSA (and others) sell an adapter that will allow you to use all your AR mags and if lights and lasers are your thing , you can get front rails for them .

Seems to me a good compromise if your "stuck" on using the .223 cartridge . :dunno:

Do you really not understand? If the Galil was so good why has the IDF for the most part gone with the AR design over thei own AK variant? If I want an AK I'll just grab one of my 6.

Many that want milspec want things that way because that is how any honest company should be building the AR, and the issue rifles seem to have less issues, than the civy models that don't.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Honestly I don't get why people get so hung up on the barrel twist between a 1-9 or a 1-7. I've used many savage 223's with 1-9 twist barrels out to 800 yards using 69gr bullets. I'm not going to say a faster twist isn't nice, but a 1-9 barrel is nothing to run away from. I would however, run from a 1-12 twist barrel or something that slow, but I've just had way too many outstanding days at the range running 1-9 twist barrels.

there is simply no reason to continue to mass manufacture to the extent it is today, the 1/9, why settle for less?

also 1/7 can use a .55gn just fine

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Many that want milspec want things that way because that is how any honest company should be building the AR, and the issue rifles seem to have less issues, than the civy models that don't.

But But...my 1/9 chromemoly with comm. buffertube can shoot Wolf ammo just fine and I saved $35...

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Hey Palmetto State Armory, I KNOW you guys must offer one incredible Citadel discount. I need more parts and i'm still about 24 hours away from my first AR arriving at my doorstep.

2002 Grad.

benjy58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    AR 15 kits

I have bought a few from SARCO and always have been satisfied. I usually build them to early carbine and rifle specs. My receivers usually are from either Superior Arms because I like the trigger adjustment or from Bushmaster.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I don't want to hi jack my threat. That has nothing much related to this thread but it looks like my AR build is going to be a baby gift to myself. I am at the hospital now with my wife and we are waiting to meet our little girl.

Top Bottom