• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Also, on the Midway site, notice the m4 16" carbine kit is considerably cheaper than on Del-Tons site. I think its also Chrome or Chrome Moly which makes it even less expensive.

As to the not being able to customize it, Del-ton only offers like $10 bucks for the hand grip and $2 for the pistol grip. They MAKE you buy a more expensive hand grip if you want one of their options, plus its an additional $45 for chrome, which is included at Midway. I selected a carbine length UTG quad rail annodized aluminum 2 piece rail with rubber grips for like $69 bucks, and I will end up with the extra Del-Ton standard hand grip. It got good reviews.

PLUS- Midway offers a 10% discount or $50 off my $591 order for a complete kit with all kind of cool starter upgrades.

The Pmags are about $4 more expensive, but I think if that matters, they can be purchased elsewhere.

Just my .02... These weapons are so far advanced over what was original issue M16 that it would blow my mind to really see anything coming out of a shop any more that's sub par for what MOST of us civilians need or would ever is it for. I welcome input from someone who really knows what the big difference is between RRA, Bushmaster and the lower priced Del-Ton, DPMS etc... haven't heard anything conclusive yet!

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a close look at Midway. It might be cheaper for me to buy all of the add-ons and just have a spare. I know that Delton charges quite a bit for shipping.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    The MilSpec tobe is smaller in diameter, there are also different number of adjustment positions between the 2. And the last I read on the subject Delton BCGs are not MilSpec. It has to be an M16/M4 style bolt to be spec, as well as chrome lined.

I really want my AR to be Mil Spec. If some parts are not then it might be a deal breaker for me. I will be purchasing an M4 style so will that be mil spec from Delton?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    These black friday sales everyone is talking about...... How much did you save?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I really want my AR to be Mil Spec. If some parts are not then it might be a deal breaker for me. I will be purchasing an M4 style so will that be mil spec from Delton?

Honestly, if you want mil-spec go buy a colt. Then after you've got that, go build whatever you want. I'm 100% with you on that and I've already got a 6920. I'm looking for another AR because my colt is lonely.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i wanted a "milspec" rifle, so i also went with the Colt 6920.But it's important to understand what milspec actually is and what it means to practical applications. My PSA middy isn't milspec but it is still an accurate and (so far) reliable rifle.

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a close look at Midway. It might be cheaper for me to buy all of the add-ons and just have a spare. I know that Delton charges quite a bit for shipping.

Not sure what you mean, here. I remember my shipping charges being less than $20 and Del-Ton has this sort of 'rewards' thing per dollar you spend, so I ended up getting 2 p-mags free through that. At the very least that negates shipping.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Not sure what you mean, here. I remember my shipping charges being less than $20 and Del-Ton has this sort of 'rewards' thing per dollar you spend, so I ended up getting 2 p-mags free through that. At the very least that negates shipping.

I'll have to look at the rewards. I know that Delton's shipping rates are much higher than some of the other companies.

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    I'll have to look at the rewards. I know that Delton's shipping rates are much higher than some of the other companies.

I paid $16 for UPS ground from Midway. It was cheaper for me to do my own upgrades than it was to make substitutions from Del-Ton. They are actually a little less expensive on the options they offer... but there are just as well made and much less expensive other options that Del-Ton doesnt make. It was also available immediately, I have no patience to wait 4-6 weeks.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I built my first AR from a Del-Ton kit. Very happy with the results, and wouldn't hesitate to do another. Only beef I have about the kit was that the anodizing on the upper is a bit purple, but that isn't all that uncommon.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    MilSpec is merely a minimal specification set forth. To a good extent it has to do with conformity of parts but also reliability issues. That is why it calls for certain parts to be made of specific materials. Also certain parts are to be tested in certain ways and at what interval. The word MilSpec gets tossed around a lot, but we should probably be saying meets TDP. There is a slight snag to this, there are only 2 manufacturers that have the full TDP package AFAIK. Colt and FN, and only 1 of those do civilian sales. The GWAT has opened up the need for secondary soursing of parts, which has gone a long way towards improving the overall quality of the AR platform. Just a very few years ago the list of available ARs that were made to standards was very short, now the list is growing with even the lower tier makers improving their acts.

I still can't figure out why so many companies cling to the 1:9 barrels when the 1:7 offers much more. Wait until the 70-80 grainers gain popularity and watch the complaining start.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

From what I've seen from Del-Ton in the past few years very few parts would be considered 'milspec'. This could have changed since then.

If you're wanting milspec stick to Colt, BCM, or Spike's. The PSA stuff appears to be mostly milspec as well, and budget priced.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    MilSpec is merely a minimal specification set forth. To a good extent it has to do with conformity of parts but also reliability issues. That is why it calls for certain parts to be made of specific materials. Also certain parts are to be tested in certain ways and at what interval. The word MilSpec gets tossed around a lot, but we should probably be saying meets TDP. There is a slight snag to this, there are only 2 manufacturers that have the full TDP package AFAIK. Colt and FN, and only 1 of those do civilian sales. The GWAT has opened up the need for secondary soursing of parts, which has gone a long way towards improving the overall quality of the AR platform. Just a very few years ago the list of available ARs that were made to standards was very short, now the list is growing with even the lower tier makers improving their acts.

I still can't figure out why so many companies cling to the 1:9 barrels when the 1:7 offers much more. Wait until the 70-80 grainers gain popularity and watch the complaining start.

Good point. I think the 1:9 is popular for a general purpose carbine as it seems to be a good "compromise" twist. Works well for the lighter and shorter 55 gr rounds that are easily available, and many will also handle up to 75's pretty well also.

For folks looking to build a rifle knowing that they'll be shooting certain projectiles, such as 62gr SS109's and other longer rounds, the 1:8's and "milspec" 1:7 are much more popular.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    My all Palmetto build runs great, shipping only took 3 days, and only costs $15. Also like someone else said you can ad a moe hand guard, and BUIS before adding to the cart.

I ordered the moe lower build kit, which comes with moe grip, stock, and trigger guard.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I paid $16 for UPS ground from Midway. It was cheaper for me to do my own upgrades than it was to make substitutions from Del-Ton. They are actually a little less expensive on the options they offer... but there are just as well made and much less expensive other options that Del-Ton doesnt make. It was also available immediately, I have no patience to wait 4-6 weeks.

That's what I found too. I am still up in the air on who I will buy from.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Good point. I think the 1:9 is popular for a general purpose carbine as it seems to be a good "compromise" twist. Works well for the lighter and shorter 55 gr rounds that are easily available, and many will also handle up to 75's pretty well also.

For folks looking to build a rifle knowing that they'll be shooting certain projectiles, such as 62gr SS109's and other longer rounds, the 1:8's and "milspec" 1:7 are much more popular.

Great point! I will only buy a 1:7 for this reason. So many of the kits only offer 1:9. Palmetto is one of the "budget" kits that offer the 1:7. Midway is selling the Del-ton kits cheap but only offer 1:9.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    My all Palmetto build runs great, shipping only took 3 days, and only costs $15. Also like someone else said you can ad a moe hand guard, and BUIS before adding to the cart.

I ordered the moe lower build kit, which comes with moe grip, stock, and trigger guard.

I tried to do this and there was not an option to add anything else. Is this option when ordering just an M4 upper?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Honestly I don't get why people get so hung up on the barrel twist between a 1-9 or a 1-7. I've used many savage 223's with 1-9 twist barrels out to 800 yards using 69gr bullets. I'm not going to say a faster twist isn't nice, but a 1-9 barrel is nothing to run away from. I would however, run from a 1-12 twist barrel or something that slow, but I've just had way too many outstanding days at the range running 1-9 twist barrels.

Top Bottom