• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I just acquired a t/c contender. I have a 10" 357mag barrel. Now my questions is: does the 357 mag perform well out to 150yards or should I go with a 7mm tcu in a 10" barrel? I have talked to some barrel makers and they claim that the 7mm tcu is deadly out to 225-250 yards from the 10 inch barrel. So those any one have info on the 7mm tcu and is it a better choice over the 357mag.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The .357 Mag will perform fine for any large game in Indiana. 158 grain XTP and you will get it done.

7mm is a more powerful and flatter shooting round. That doesn't make it "better" by it self. .357 is going to be cheaper to shoot to be proficient with the firearm. And unless you are making shots across farm fields, well within the normal deer ranges in Indiana.

I don't know that I would go much past 150 yards. With a hot .357, you are dropping to just over 1000 fps and starting to worry about the HP expansion.

If you are getting an additional barrel, also consider .357 Maximum. I really like the ballistics of my Handi-Rifle in that clambering. Getting real close to .35 Remington with simpler reloading brass.

nikolai

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    I have a t/c contender i use to hunt with but i use a 35 rem. I would never switch it out I can take long shoot. The barrel i have is a super 14 stainless as well as the rest of the gun with black grip. you will have a blast hunting with yours for sure...

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have used a 6.5in Blackhawk and a Marlin, 150yrds max for me. (with the Marlin, 75yrds with the Blackhawk)

I use hot loaded handloads, the factory stuff usually doesn't reach the true potential of the 357.

Buffalo Bore is about the only factory ammo i would use for hunting.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Interesting topic. I have been educated that a 357 range is 50yards and less. I will hunt with it one of these years I suppose.

It boils down to this.

1 - What distance will the velocity of the bullet still perform reliably for a humane kill. For a good hot .357 round, this is about 150 yards or less.

2 - What distance is the load accurate enough for 100% reliable hits in animal's vital zone?

3 - What distance is the shooter and sighting system accurate enough for 100% reliable hits in animal's vital zone?

The maximum effective range of a firearm for hunting is the minimum of all of those. If ever in doubt, don't fire. Ethical hunting is really that simple.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    What I was trying to find out is, Which caliber will give me a better performance to be able to kill a deer fast and humane at the stated distance. I under stand shot placement is key and all that good stuff, but if I am able to have an edge between the two calibers, which one will give it to me?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    What I was trying to find out is, Which caliber will give me a better performance to be able to kill a deer fast and humane at the stated distance. I under stand shot placement is key and all that good stuff, but if I am able to have an edge between the two calibers, which one will give it to me?

To put it bluntly: Neither the 357 Magnum, or the 7 TC/U is suitable for 250 yard shots on deer. It's really pushing it to get even 150 yards from a 357 Magnum and if I had to choose between the two, at that distance, I'd go with the 7 TC/U.

To qualify the above, I have TC Contender barrels in 44RM, 30 Herrett, 6.5JDJ and 7-30 Waters. All four are considerably more powerful than either of the rounds you mention. My personal advice would be to limit yourself to ~100 yards with the 357 Mag barrel and if you want a really effective 7mm barrel for Indiana deer hunting, skip the rather anemic 7 TC/U and go for the 7-30 Waters. It's a much better choice, particularly if you are willing to practice a LOT and hope to take shots at 200 yards, or more.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a >357 Herrett in a 10" bull barrel. Anyone have any favorite loads for that? How about bullet choices?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    It boils down to this.

1 - What distance will the velocity of the bullet still perform reliably for a humane kill. For a good hot .357 round, this is about 150 yards or less.

2 - What distance is the load accurate enough for 100% reliable hits in animal's vital zone?

3 - What distance is the shooter and sighting system accurate enough for 100% reliable hits in animal's vital zone?

The maximum effective range of a firearm for hunting is the minimum of all of those. If ever in doubt, don't fire. Ethical hunting is really that simple.

That is a great post!!

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To put it bluntly: Neither the 357 Magnum, or the 7 TC/U is suitable for 250 yard shots on deer. It's really pushing it to get even 150 yards from a 357 Magnum and if I had to choose between the two, at that distance, I'd go with the 7 TC/U.

To qualify the above, I have TC Contender barrels in 44RM, 30 Herrett, 6.5JDJ and 7-30 Waters. All four are considerably more powerful than either of the rounds you mention. My personal advice would be to limit yourself to ~100 yards with the 357 Mag barrel and if you want a really effective 7mm barrel for Indiana deer hunting, skip the rather anemic 7 TC/U and go for the 7-30 Waters. It's a much better choice, particularly if you are willing to practice a LOT and hope to take shots at 200 yards, or more.

As far a I can tell from ballistic charts, the 7mm tcu, 7-30 waters, and the 30 herrett shot about the same weight bullet at about the same speeds( about 2100fps). Except the 30 herrett is a .308 cal vs .284 cal. Am I missing something? This is coming from the hornady load site.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I am going to try my Henry .357 this year for deer with leverevolution bullets. I can hit a 6" target with open sights at 100 yards free hand.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    As far a I can tell from ballistic charts, the 7mm tcu, 7-30 waters, and the 30 herrett shot about the same weight bullet at about the same speeds( about 2100fps). Except the 30 herrett is a .308 cal vs .284 cal. Am I missing something? This is coming from the hornady load site.

The 30 Herrett will drive a 125gr BT at roughly the same speed as a 7 TC/U will drive a 120gr bullet, making these two fairly similar at realistic ranges. The 6.5JDJ and 7-30 Waters will both drive a 120gr bullet ~200fps faster than either the Herrett or TC/U. The 357 Magnum simply isn't in the same class with any of these cartridges, with what amounts to half the effective range.

With all of the above, choosing the right bullet, and placing it properly, are both paramount for success. Hunting with a handgun requires a different level of discipline than using a rifle or long gun. Being positive you can place your shot where you want it to go, given the conditions and rest you're using, has a lot more to do with effective handgun range than the cartridge in the chamber.

155%2520A-Max%2520048.jpg

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the info. I already placed a bid on a 7-30 waters super 14 barrel. Hey if a get the barrel could you possible help me make some brass for it? I was reading that I can get that bad boy to hit 2500ftps with a 120 Barnes tsx bullet, think its true?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. I already placed a bid on a 7-30 waters super 14 barrel. Hey if a get the barrel could you possible help me make some brass for it? I was reading that I can get that bad boy to hit 2500ftps with a 120 Barnes tsx bullet, think its true?

I would be more than happy to help you put together fire-forming loads, if you win that auction. I can't say if the 120gr TSX will reach 2500fps from a 14" 7-30 Waters barrel, but I'm sure it will come close. As the picture shows, I shoot the 120gr BT. More so than with most rifle cartridges, it is important to match the velocity you get from a specialty pistol cartridge to the bullet and the size of game you'll be hunting. What some might call a "varmint" bullet in a 7RM would probably be just right for deer, out of a 7-30W.

Also, if you haven't shot a big handgun with an LER scope, it can take a little getting used to. I prefer front and rear bags when working up loads, but then practice with only a front rest, to simulate field conditions. The 7-30 can be a bit of a handful, in a 14" Contender, but if you've shot full-house 44RM loads, from a revolver, you'll be just fine.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Really, 150 yards you would have to be an expert marksman to get even 100 yards from a 357 out of a handgun. If you were very good you could get 50 consistently. You probly ought to just figure "Bow Range" when thinking 357 unless you are exceptional. If you have to ask you are likely not. Chime in average handgun shooters.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Killed a deer a few years ago with my 25-06 encore pistol. It was a blast but in all seriousness I wish I had gotten the 308 or 7mm-08. The 25-06 is excellent for deer but in a pistol the recoil is getting a little rough not bad but I would imagine the 7mm-08 or 308 would be Ideal if a rifle caliber barrel is what you are looking for.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Really, 150 yards you would have to be an expert marksman to get even 100 yards from a 357 out of a handgun. If you were very good you could get 50 consistently. You probly ought to just figure "Bow Range" when thinking 357 unless you are exceptional. If you have to ask you are likely not. Chime in average handgun shooters.

I consider "deer" accuracy to be a consistent 6" group. I don't have a problem with this out to 100 yards with a 2x scope on my 8" 629. I would do that same I do in the field, rest up against a small tree or use a shooting stick. This is easier with a non-revolver where you can get a hand out in front more.

You do have to practice and know what you are doing, but it isn't too hard. A good single action trigger is all I need. But I would not take a shot past 100 yards. Probably not even 100 on a live deer.

Top Bottom