• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would be more than happy to help you put together fire-forming loads, if you win that auction. I can't say if the 120gr TSX will reach 2500fps from a 14" 7-30 Waters barrel, but I'm sure it will come close. As the picture shows, I shoot the 120gr BT. More so than with most rifle cartridges, it is important to match the velocity you get from a specialty pistol cartridge to the bullet and the size of game you'll be hunting. What some might call a "varmint" bullet in a 7RM would probably be just right for deer, out of a 7-30W.

Also, if you haven't shot a big handgun with an LER scope, it can take a little getting used to. I prefer front and rear bags when working up loads, but then practice with only a front rest, to simulate field conditions. The 7-30 can be a bit of a handful, in a 14" Contender, but if you've shot full-house 44RM loads, from a revolver, you'll be just fine.

As far as recoil goes, I kinda used to it a little. I have a m&p 340 and let's just say recoil is noticeable with Remington 125grain 357mags, lol. I'll send you a pm if I win that barrel. I'll know in 2days and 4hours, lol. I may end up over paying because now I want that barrel, lol.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    200 m steel rams, .357 pretty common tool.

Steel isn't meat though.

I feel a little more comfy in the deer woods toting a .44 mag vs a .357 (and there's not much room for error with a .44 mag).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I hope I can getting without paying out the wazoo, lol. I not then I might need to settle with a 45/70 or 30 herrett.

I've got a 10" 30 Herrett barrel and it's fun to shoot, but I really like the 7-30 Waters better. For one thing, the Herrett has always been too fussy about how cases are resized and the accuracy just isn't as good as the Super 14 barrel. Even my 44RM is more accurate than the 30 Herrett. :dunno:

Recoil from big, heavy handguns is a different feel than a small, light semi-auto or revolver. It's not a big deal, just takes a little getting used to, is all. I mean, it's not like you're looking at a 375JDJ.

Now, a 45/70 Contender barrel is no joke when it comes to recoil. I will come right out and tell you that more than one would-be handgun hunter has bought one, shot 2 or 3 rounds, and put that bad boy back up for sale! The words Sierra uses are something along the lines of, "...at no point in this load data was recoil not objectionable". A 7-30 Waters has snappy recoil, but far less than a 45/70 and you still get excellent useful range out of it.

Here's hoping you win the auction, and for a fair price! :draw:

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Funny you mention "fair price", my bid is already up to 200 plus shipping and I saw a the 12" barrel with a muzzle break for $220 at the gun show lol. Are those extra 2" worth it? Or if I get out bidded, Should I just get the 12" hunter with muzzle break. I just would hate to loose about 100 ftps because a may needed at longer distances.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cartridges the rest on the rim are better suited to contender actions. If you watch the cartridge go into the action the extractor will push the non rimmed round at an angle. It is still much more accurate than most actions but not the ultimate for the action. 7mmtcu is not a rimmed round it rests on the shoulder and the extractor is going to play a roll in how it set in the chamber. So remove the extractor in these rounds . We are talking .2 inches difference at 100 yards so not a real big deal breaker for deer hunting.

In a contender the best rounds from my experance for deer at the 7-30 waters, the 30-30 and the 357 max. Second teir are the 35 rem (A personal favorite) 45 supermag and 44 mag/357. Some who like to push extremes are 444 marlin (Can strech the frame is loaded ver hot) and 45-70.

The 7mmtcu is a 223 round necked up to 7mm and was mainly a round for SILLYWET shooting. I have used my cousins for groundhogs and it is an accurate little sucker for sure.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Funny you mention "fair price", my bid is already up to 200 plus shipping and I saw a the 12" barrel with a muzzle break for $220 at the gun show lol. Are those extra 2" worth it? Or if I get out bidded, Should I just get the 12" hunter with muzzle break. I just would hate to loose about 100 ftps because a may needed at longer distances.

I dislike the looks of the Hunter bbls, the brake is slightly larger in OD than the bbl.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

In my opinion, ~$225 is about the right price for a 7-30 Waters Super 14" barrel, if it's in good to excellent condition. If it comes with a scope that you LIKE, add another hundred, maybe. Add ~$20 for rings and/or base.

Some of the hand-cannons really benefit from a muzzle brake, but unless it NEEDS one, I don't recommend them. The muzzle blast on a big-boy pistol round, like the 7-30 Waters is severe enough. Unless you plan to hunt with hearing protection/augmentation, I'd stay away from barrels with a muzzle brake. I use Walker's muffs due to hearing loss in both ears that I don't want to make worse.

If you win the auction for $200 + shipping, that's a fair price. I wouldn't go much higher than that.

45lcrevolver

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well Im not going to win the barrel. The auction price has gone over what I think is fair for a used barrel. I might as well just order a bull berry barrel for $80 more in a 7mm brb lol. Well I'm just going to rent a chrono and work up some loads that will give me 2100ftps with a 357mag 125 Barnes xpb. Let's see what I can accomplish, lol.

rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I have used a .308 and .35 rem as well as a 44mag all work very, very well for deer. I think there is a tendancy to go over gunned with deer. Hit them right and a .357 will certainly work. I have used the .44 at 125yds and knocked them flat.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I have the 627 in a 6 1/2, no scope. I don't shoot much with it. It is fun but I cannot imagine me being very lethal with it beyond 30 yards. Beyond that, it would be good for more people to understand that range accuracy doesn't translate in to field accuracy. I do want to improve my shooting and take one with my 357.

Top Bottom