Stop being a WUSSY

images

:D

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Hey, I have shot my dad's and I am a weenie! I may also not be shouldering the rifle properly. Can anyone point me to a video or picture description of how to do it right? It feels right on my shoulder, but it does not feel right after shooting. Thanks Yeah, go ahead make fun, I can tough that out at least!

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Lol, I love all of the "Man Up!" posts. It isn't about being a man. It becomes no fun to shoot after a while, but all of this taken in good humor. 5 pages in now and a lot of great information has surfaced from my bruised ego and shoulder.

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    Just keep at it and you'll find that comfort zone and your muscles will remember it, there's nothing wrong with the rubber butt pad either. Before I sold my mosin it was all second nature and I could go through a 100 yards and still be comfy, of course I felt it a little later on lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never had any problem with the recoil from my Mosins. A buddy and I went shooting a couple of weeks ago and I probably put 150 rounds (combined) through a 91/30, Yugo Mauser and Garand with no problems. Then we switched to shooting clays and 25 rounds through my Ithaca Featherlight 12 ga. put more of a hurt on me than the rifles. Went and bought a Limbsaver slip-on for the Ithaca a few days later!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    The stock I'm refinishing now I believe will get cut (just enough to be flat) and probably a grind-to-fit recoil pad added, after reading horrible reviews of those $10-$15 cheapie Mosin pads...

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Lol, I love all of the "Man Up!" posts. It isn't about being a man. It becomes no fun to shoot after a while, but all of this taken in good humor. 5 pages in now and a lot of great information has surfaced from my bruised ego and shoulder.

I had a rubber recoil pad on mine before I ever fired the first round. Nothing wrong with being a smart man. Honestly though I don't think the recoil is bad. I feel it more after a round of clays with the 12GA.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    You should shoot in the middle of a blizzard, wear wool greatcoat, to experience full Russian rifle. Mosin Dr. recommends: Take 2 aspirins, shoot, return home for Vodka massage from inside. Pain goes away, sleep, reload for tommorow!
    Are we having fun yet?

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I found a Limb Saver slip on at Walmart that was branded Remington. It was $21. Dick's had the same thing but in a Limb Saver Package for $37. The Limb Saver website was $35ish + shipping. I don't know how Walmart did it, but it's like 1/2 the price.

I squeezed off 10 rounds at the range today and didn't notice any pains. And BOY! does that gun sound completely different in an enclosed, 25 yard range lol. That was fun. It shoots a nice group, for a newbie, but I am pulling to the right. I think that the groupings will get better when I get used to the gun. The most powerful rifle that I had shot before the Mosin was a .22 LOL. There is just a slight difference.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

That's the bad cheapie I've read reviews and warning about that's sold just about everywhere.

I've also read, with some modification, it can be made tolerable.
    - Trim all the mold lines/flash of with a knife to improve finish
    - Take a drill of the correct size and drill the holes all the way through. Apparently there is a sort of "rib" down the center making the holes not through holes, and drilling it out improves the performance greatly.
    - Even after being mounted for a while, with only the top and bottom screw, the base of the pad doesn't usually conform to the curve of the buttstock.

If I'm going to this much trouble (though not much expense) to re-finish a stock, I'll go ahead and spend a bit more to get a little nicer recoil pad. Maybe that's just me, but even on a cheapie rifle, I can be picky, lol.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    It was cheap, came with 10 stripper clips, and if I remember right, I got free shipping on the deal too. Works just fine for me. .

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    That's the bad cheapie I've read reviews and warning about that's sold just about everywhere.

I've also read, with some modification, it can be made tolerable.
    - Trim all the mold lines/flash of with a knife to improve finish
    - Take a drill of the correct size and drill the holes all the way through. Apparently there is a sort of "rib" down the center making the holes not through holes, and drilling it out improves the performance greatly.
    - Even after being mounted for a while, with only the top and bottom screw, the base of the pad doesn't usually conform to the curve of the buttstock.

If I'm going to this much trouble (though not much expense) to re-finish a stock, I'll go ahead and spend a bit more to get a little nicer recoil pad. Maybe that's just me, but even on a cheapie rifle, I can be picky, lol.

My brother in law has this pad installed on his Mosin. It's made out of pretty hard rubber, doesn't offer much in the way of softening the recoil.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Whatever. It was cheap, came with 10 stripper clips, and if I remember right, I got free shipping on the deal too. Works just fine for me, I guess if you start with a ***** shoulder, then you must spend more then $10-$15 to protect it. Sorry for trying to help. **** off and have a nice life.

Ouch man.
    I never said I have used it personally, I was just saying I have read a lot of negatives about it in lots of different places and based on those, it appeared to me to be a bad value.
    I also was also sharing the info I've read on how to improve what appears (to me, and apparently others) to be a poorly designed, mass produced product. As it is, in my searches, it's the only recoil pad I've seen designed specifically for the Mosin, so "drop-in" choices are limited to that pad.
    I would love to see a company come out with something similar with perhaps a hard plastic base identical in dimension to the stock buttplate, but with a better recoil pad attached/bonded.

Hmmm... I wonder what one could do with some thick kydex and epoxy...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Whatever. It was cheap, came with 10 stripper clips, and if I remember right, I got free shipping on the deal too. Works just fine for me, I guess if you start with a ***** shoulder, then you must spend more then $10-$15 to protect it. Sorry for trying to help. **** off and have a nice life.

:noway: Not cool.

DarkRose was only commenting on it, not a personal attack on you. And from the other post about this pad, it looks like you're in the minority. Which is fine. If you like the pad then that's cool and thanks for recommending it to others. If others don't like then that's cool too and you should attack them personally with implied profanity.

PS - Spend much time in the rep pyramid? Because you sure didn't get rep from posts like this. :n00b:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    My brother in law has this pad installed on his Mosin. It's made out of pretty hard rubber, doesn't offer much in the way of softening the recoil.

Thank you for your comment, and it was said in such a nice way too, didn't make me feel put down or anything, just stating the fact without making me feel like a dweeb for daring to suggest a product to someone in their thread.

I went with this one because, like the gun it was cheap, I didn't want to put much money into it, and it also came with some stripper clips, for which I was also looking at the time. I especially like the fact that it is made for the rifle and fits just where the metal but plate was with the same screws.

I doubt that I will search for a "Limbsaver" but if I ever come across one, I may try it.

I see how others would not feel the same way, but I did feel attacked for taking my time to go look up the link and then coming back to this thread and suggesting one that I have personally purchased and used. My post did not have "implied profanity", it had real profanity, but the site changed it. I also was not "trolling" him, I was responding to the rudeness in his reply.

Yes, I realize now that I was being a little over sensitive, and I apologize to those who I offended with my rash typing.

Top Bottom