• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    No, No. I am borrowing a 10/22 from my father-in-law until I can purchase one myself. I will be using the 10/22 to Appleseed with. I've seen the strap used in this manner before and also on the appleseed website.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everyone is different and everyone deals with felt recoil differently. I don't think the 91/30 is that bad and I enjoy shooting mine. I would just suggest more practice and maybe not as many rounds per range trip and see how it goes. It takes about 20 rounds through a 91/30 and I will notice a little redness maybe a slight bruise on the shoulder, but not really and pain or discomfort.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A lot goes into how we both feel and handle recoil...

Stance, grip, position of the stock on the shoulder, position of head/face on the stock, etc etc.

If you want, go for it, but to me, shooting a M/N off a rest or prone is the easiest way to get beaten up by the recoil.

A good standing stance + bayonet extended (Yes...try it) = much more pleasurable experience with a M/N. I don't have much experience with them, but I found a M44 to be "not bad" when fired standing. Granted, I'm almost 6'4" and, at that time, weighed 250+ lbs.

Conversely, I HATE shooting the .308 or .30-06 while prone. Hate it.

-J-

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well snug it up and keep practicing is my answer. If you can tame the Mosin recoil you will learn to easily manage others.
    I use a recoil pad but also learned quick how to not sholder a rifle. I fired a ar50 50bmg into my collar bone as my second gun ever fired it left a bruise but figured after that experience nothing will ever be that bad.
    A lot goes into how we both feel and handle recoil...

Stance, grip, position of the stock on the shoulder, position of head/face on the stock, etc etc.

If you want, go for it, but to me, shooting a M/N off a rest or prone is the easiest way to get beaten up by the recoil.

A good standing stance + bayonet extended (Yes...try it) = much more pleasurable experience with a M/N. I don't have much experience with them, but I found a M44 to be "not bad" when fired standing. Granted, I'm almost 6'4" and, at that time, weighed 250+ lbs.

Conversely, I HATE shooting the .308 or .30-06 while prone. Hate it.

-J-
    I dont think weight or height can really play any factor as I like the recoil off a m91/30 w/o bayonet and am only 135lbs and 5'5". I do prefer standing as your body moves with the gun and isnt getting pounded by a hammer.

as a side note to my size doesnt matter

this is zephri whos 6'3" and 130lbs firing a m38(no that is in real time and not sped up I have seen him do it)

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/zephri/Range pictures/?action=view&current=3f1aed08.mp4

Last edited:

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I was shooting off of bags on a bench trying to sight it in for the first time. I don't think it is so much about pain threshold, because I kept shooting knowing it was going to hurt later. I know what it can do now and can work around it. I"ll fire it and rotate it with other things. Next time I will try standing to see the difference.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I was shooting off of bags on a bench trying to sight it in for the first time. I don't think it is so much about pain threshold, because I kept shooting knowing it was going to hurt later. I know what it can do now and can work around it. I"ll fire it and rotate it with other things. Next time I will try standing to see the difference.

Standing is a big difference. As was posted above, when you stand, the whole body moves easier to absorb recoil, when on a benchrest, it all comes straight back at the shoulder...
    I just shoot more consistent from a rest and was testing to see which Mosin held the better groups.

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Lol, yeah. Gunnit and INGO are two amazing resources and communities. Cool to see two other slaves to these information giants. It is also nice to talk to so many informative and friendly people. The Mosin is coming out again this weekend and will be all off-hand shooting. I know what to expect now and had it confirmed by two communities. I think I'm good now lol. I can't wait to get back up to J/P though. I was really struck by how nice the range was.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Get a pachmayr decelerator slip on recoil pad. The small size fits perfectly and the longer pull is better for tall and gangly capitalist. The Mosin was made for malnourished Russians with stunted growth.

I have one and can shoot all day from bags with it. Without - I'm bruised and sore because I'm a wuss. Plus, those pads you wear on shoulder makes you look lame.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I think the Ruskies solved the heavy recoil problem with vodka.
    If your problem persists PM me. I have a half gallon of Absolut stashed that I will send you.
    I hate to see a fellow rifleman suffer so.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Lol, yeah. Gunnit and INGO are two amazing resources and communities. Cool to see two other slaves to these information giants. It is also nice to talk to so many informative and friendly people. The Mosin is coming out again this weekend and will be all off-hand shooting. I know what to expect now and had it confirmed by two communities. I think I'm good now lol. I can't wait to get back up to J/P though. I was really struck by how nice the range was.

Absolutely, INGO and Reddit are both great sources of info. I like that they have sub-reddits like /ar15, /reloading and /gundeals too. About the info you can't obtain is tactile, the feel of the gun in your hands.

JP is a dump compared to Winamac, at least in my opinion. Winamac has covered stations, plywood vs chicken wire, and nicer benches. Not to mention bathrooms.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Absolutely, INGO and Reddit are both great sources of info. I like that they have sub-reddits like /ar15, /reloading and /gundeals too. About the info you can't obtain is tactile, the feel of the gun in your hands.

JP is a dump compared to Winamac, at least in my opinion. Winamac has covered stations, plywood vs chicken wire, and nicer benches. Not to mention bathrooms.
    I went to a park up there with some buddies years ago in the dead of winter... don't recall the name (Winamac?), but they rented out groups of cabins. We only used one (it was huge with a big woodburner). I wonder if it's close to the range. It'd be a good place for a winter Mosin shoot, if the range is open in the winter that is...

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I just shoot mine and it's no big deal, however I have a 91/59 carbine which I think has more recoil. I can shoot it with no problem, but there are always other people with me that want to shoot the Mosins, sometimes women, so I just slip on a Limbsaver recoil pad, and it helps a lot.

Dave

Mosin-Me-Nagant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    If your problem persists PM me. I have a half gallon of Absolut stashed that I will send you.

Maybe we can hit J/P or Winamac and shoot our shoulders out. Later, we can dip into the vodka to fortify our healing process.

Winamac is just down the road from J/P too. I will def have to check that out in a few weekends. I really wish there was a place I could shoot tannerite and metal targets. I need to get with people I work with to find someone who has land. That would be great. I would like to setup a small Hickok45 diet coke rampage range.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

No, no, no. You don't use Absolut on a cheap rifle.

My friend left half a fifth of Dark Eyes in my freezer that I won't hardly consider touching...

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Winamac is just down the road from J/P too. I will def have to check that out in a few weekends. I really wish there was a place I could shoot tannerite and metal targets. I need to get with people I work with to find someone who has land. That would be great. I would like to setup a small Hickok45 diet coke rampage range.

I would be in on that in a heartbeat. I love Hickok's range.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Manage the Mosin recoil you say? Simple, just put a little M.A.N. behind the gun.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just keep shooting it, keep it tucked tightly in the pocket of your shoulder, and you'll build a tolerance. There have been a lot of other good tips, the Past Recoil Pad and Pachmayr Deceleratorslip on recoil pad are both great ideas. Mosins are great fun to shoot, even with the recoil!

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Best way to manage recoil is shoot an M95 Steyr-Mannlicher for a few days. You'll never complain about a Mosin again. LOL

Top Bottom