• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Don't let you failure at championing the silly system of biannual schedule changes stop you from participating.

Have you tried ridiculing the changes? Give it a try!

It's far easier, since even those who claim to enjoy changing their schedules back and forth must still generally admit that it doesn't make any sense. ;)

It makes perfect sense to those who prefer more daylight after the typical workday. Similar results could be obtained of employers were to change working hours in the summer, but, that would be more cumbersome than just changing clocks and DST is universal.

What doesn't make sense is the big deal made of changing clocks twice per year...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It makes perfect sense to those who prefer more daylight after the typical workday. Similar results could be obtained of employers were to change working hours in the summer, but, that would be more cumbersome than just changing clocks and DST is universal.

What doesn't make sense is the big deal made of changing clocks twice per year...

Why is it more cumbersome?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This whole "I want more daylight at the end of the work day" sounds silly to me.
    But then I work shift work, weekends, and holidays. So these arbitrary times seem silly to me.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It seems cumbersome for me to remember what time to wake up also.
    So, let's just change the clocks every 7 days.
    Except, every 3rd week shift them on the 6th day, because that's when my work days shift back a day.

After all, if shifting twice a year is good, then shifting 54 times a year will be better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I say this every year too but as a morning person, I don't like DST. Soon (just before we switch back to EST), it won't even be daylight until almost 9 a.m.. Even now, it's almost 8 a.m. before sunrise. If we're gonna do this clock switching, I'd rather it be the opposite. I want more daylight hours in the morning. I'm still going to go to bed around 8 p.m., so I don't care if it's light or not then.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I say this every year too but as a morning person, I don't like DST. Soon (just before we switch back to EST), it won't even be daylight until almost 9 a.m.. Even now, it's almost 8 a.m. before sunrise. If we're gonna do this clock switching, I'd rather it be the opposite. I want more daylight hours in the morning. I'm still going to go to bed around 8 p.m., so I don't care if it's light or not then.

See a leading contributor to the angst is that most of Indiana is in the wrong time zone.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ah yes, an early morning type living on the wrong side of a time zone. If one is an early riser the eastern side is where you want to be, as the natural and normal sun rise is almost an hour earlier. Move to Illinois and you get you hour in the morning. Look on the bright side, you live on the freedom loving side of of the time zones...

As for going to bed at 8pm, you are missing a lot of life. Mother used to say nothing good ever happens after midnight, but she was wrong it is fun. Well maybe we should see what the 4 judges say before making a final decision... LOL

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    See a leading contributor to the angst is that most of Indiana is in the wrong time zone.

And what on what authority do you state such a claim?

There is only three general positions an area can have in a time zone, leading edge and early sunrise, middle with a middle sunrise of the zone, and trailing edge with late sunrises. The people of the area, through their legislatures get to pick which zone they want to be in. Indiana can only be the leading edge of eastern or trailing edge of central. I will count you as a vote for central time zone.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This thread is hysterical, literally. LOL. A collection of whining about changing clocks twice per year, talk about first world problems.
    Well. This thread is a 5-1/2 year written history of INGO’s opinion of switching time twice a year. As you can see, usually about 3 weeks before the time change someone resurrects the thread. Maybe you get a few debates that heat and cool during the time changing season. And then within a week or less of the time change, it’s over until the next.

I don’t know if I’d call it hysterical. It’s just opinionated people being opinionated. Some people don’t like changing their clocks or shifting their sleeping schedules. I don’t like it either. But it doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers, say, ATM.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As long as we end up on EST I don’t care what happens. I don’t want to math to watch my favorite shows! Math is hard.
    The age of programmed shows on network schedules is all but over. Within a generation I think most people will stream pretty much everything when they feel like it. Your shows come on when you decide to tap the play button.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The only TV schedules I give a **** about these days is sports programming. All my other “shows” are on YouTube, Netflix, and Prime. May give Disney a try. They have the rights to all the 20th Century Fox movies. Plus Marvel. Plus Star Wars. Anyway, on demand streaming means less reliance on clocks. Actually, the clock’s main importance to me these days are appointments, and scheduled meetings at work. There’s almost no other reason I have to care about what time it is.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The only TV schedules I give a **** about these days is sports programming. All my other “shows” are on YouTube, Netflix, and Prime. May give Disney a try. They have the rights to all the 20th Century Fox movies. Plus Marvel. Plus Star Wars. Anyway, on demand streaming means less reliance on clocks. Actually, the clock’s main importance to me these days are appointments, and scheduled meetings at work. There’s almost no other reason I have to care about what time it is.
    How do you know when it’s beer thirty?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Well. This thread is a 5-1/2 year written history of INGO’s opinion of switching time twice a year. As you can see, usually about 3 weeks before the time change someone resurrects the thread. Maybe you get a few debates that heat and cool during the time changing season. And then within a week or less of the time change, it’s over until the next.

I don’t know if I’d call it hysterical. It’s just opinionated people being opinionated. Some people don’t like changing their clocks or shifting their sleeping schedules. I don’t like it either. But it doesn’t bother me as much as it bothers, say, ATM.
    Still working on my first 50 post. At two post a year how many more years till I reach my 50 post?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It makes perfect sense to those who prefer more daylight after the typical workday.

No, changing schedules back for 4 months does not make sense to those who prefer more daylight after the typical workday. It causes them to have less for 4 months. We've covered this. Try again.

Similar results could be obtained of employers were to change working hours in the summer,

No need, we'd be on that same schedule for the whole year. We've covered this. You agreed. Now you've forgotten.

but, that would be more cumbersome than just changing clocks and DST is universal.

The schedule change is what's cumbersome, changing clocks is just to pretend we aren't doing something as stupid as changing schedules back and forth twice per year. The lie is never the hard part, it was just a simple trick to gain more support from the simple minded back in the day.

It's not universal and other countries who once participated are now dropping it. USA will follow suit once it becomes internationally trendy to do so.

The clocks are the joke part of the discussion, the silly schedule changes are the actual point. We've covered all this. Try something fresh.

I'm here to help. :yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom