• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again: how so? Please be specific.

At 40 degrees latitude (i.e. Indianapolis), where daylight varies by +/- 3 hours, how is the vast majority of people adversely impacted by the variation of available daylight AND meaningfully impacted beneficially by a one-hour shift of available daylight during the summer? I'm asking in the context of your suggestion that businesses shift business hours to accommodate people rather than shifting clocks to accommodate people.
    Very simple. The median sunset in Indy is 7:44 pm (based on the 9/21 date) with DST, it would be 6:44 without. That equates to an average of 2:44 minutes after 5 pm to do activities that require daylight vs. 1:44 total minutes after 5 pm. Obviously it will be less later in the fall and more at peak summer but that it what many want.

It is always the same vocal few that don’t like DST. For whatever reason INGO has the most that do not like DST anywhere I am around…

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Thanks, you are right - there are parts of western Spain that have Daylight at 10:00 PM for a while in the summer.
    This is because the powers-that-do-such-things decided to distort the time zone lines in order to keep the majority of continental Europe in the same time Zone.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    It is always the same vocal few that don’t like DST. For whatever reason INGO has the most that do not like DST anywhere I am around…
    I include myself in that 'few' you mentioned. DST is ridiculous. The sun doesn't care what time my clock is set at. Humans cannot save daylight. It is, or it is not, daylight oustside. I suppose the jobs Mitchy D. said would come with DST might still show up, so there's that. If I must continue living with DST, might Indiana at least move to the central time zone? It's daylight darn near to 10pm during the peak of summer (or at least bright enough to play frisbee).

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The sun doesn't care what time my clock is set at.
    People care. They want daylight after work.

Humans cannot save daylight. It is, or it is not, daylight oustside.
    Daylight can be shifted from before work to after work. It was a bad choice of name but it could have meant they were saving the daylight relative to after work.
    If I must continue living with DST, might Indiana at least move to the central time zone?

Great, we can have 5:44 sunsets in September. Ridiculous!

I suppose the jobs Mitchy D. said would come with DST might still show up, so there's that.
    I believe since That time Indiana has experienced job growth.

It's daylight darn near to 10pm during the peak of summer (or at least bright enough to play frisbee).

Most active folks like this. Like I said the most opposition I see to this is on INGO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Most active folks like this. Like I said the most opposition I see to this is on INGO.
    I spoke for myself when I stated DST is ridiculous. I hold my position. You seem to be speaking for "most folks", but then there is this:

from link:

"The 19 states that have called on action on the time regulations are not alone, a poll conducted by YouGov for The Economist found around 63 percent of Americans agree that a change is needed."

Ingomike, I'm not going to debate it. There is only so much available daylight on any given day. Changing clocks is silly. But if we must, Indiana should be central time.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's daylight darn near to 10pm during the peak of summer (or at least bright enough to play frisbee).
    This is the part I just love about DST. This is the time (after work and before dark) for playing softball, fishing, riding motorcycles, swimming, target shooting, etc., etc., etc. In other words this is the time for living. When these hours are cut shorter it reduces the time for living.
    That is how I always treated that time when I was younger. Now it is less activities but still enjoyment. I understand why some people would want to change that (they can't figure out their VCR ;) ) but there are a lot of people that don't want to change that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most people don't want to keep screwing with the clocks. I do not really care that much which side of "work" the daylight falls on. I hate having my internal clock messed with twice a year.

In that regard, I know very few people who are in favor of changing clocks. In fact, outside of the vocal few on INGO, I don't know anyone that is in favor of it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    This is the part I just love about DST. This is the time (after work and before dark) for playing softball, fishing, riding motorcycles, swimming, target shooting, etc., etc., etc. In other words this is the time for living. When these hours are cut shorter it reduces the time for living.
    That is how I always treated that time when I was younger. Now it is less activities but still enjoyment. I understand why some people would want to change that (they can't figure out their VCR ;) ) but there are a lot of people that don't want to change that.
    I still find it amusing that rather than start working an hour earlier, the answer is to change the clocks to achieve your goal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I think you're agreeing with my general premise. Pick a time and stick with it. If we want daylight after 5pm (human clock time) then set the clocks accordingly and go.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    For example - Terre Haute has one of the latest sunsets in the country. In 2022 the latest sunset there was 9:20 PM. That means it was never Daylight there at 10:00 PM and it was never even Civil Twilight there at 10:00 PM. However it was Nautical Twilight there at 10:00 PM for part of the summer so there was some light.
    Maybe it's different where you live but around these parts it's still light at "sunset" for quite some time. Sunset isn't instant darkness.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Most people don't want to keep screwing with the clocks. I do not really care that much which side of "work" the daylight falls on. I hate having my internal clock messed with twice a year.

In that regard, I know very few people who are in favor of changing clocks. In fact, outside of the vocal few on INGO, I don't know anyone that is in favor of it.
    Most people do not want to change clocks, but most want the benefit of doing so or there would be real momentum to change the laws not just complaining at time change…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I spoke for myself when I stated DST is ridiculous. I hold my position. You seem to be speaking for "most folks", but then there is this:

from link:

"The 19 states that have called on action on the time regulations are not alone, a poll conducted by YouGov for The Economist found around 63 percent of Americans agree that a change is needed."

Ingomike, I'm not going to debate it. There is only so much available daylight on any given day. Changing clocks is silly. But if we must, Indiana should be central time.
    I am here to debate...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    People care. They want daylight after work.

Daylight can be shifted from before work to after work. It was a bad choice of name but it could have meant they were saving the daylight relative to after work.

Great, we can have 5:44 sunsets in September. Ridiculous!

I believe since That time Indiana has experienced job growth.

Let business shift your work hours! Most folks have pretty flexible office hours. For those that don't let a decree go forth mandating the 8-5 shift is now 7-4!

Top Bottom