• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Am I the only one who thinks we should just split the difference and keep our clocks fixed rather than changing every 6 months?
    Well, that's just it. We don't change them every 6 months. It's November and March so 8 months DST and 4 "standard". More or less.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Your schedule is jacked up enough without the time change! Hopefully you can settle in to a more consistent one eventually. I was going to say "normal", but I'm not even sure what that would be for you. Don't know how you do it act!

After high school, I NEVER worked a "day job".

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After high school, I NEVER worked a "day job".
    I started in retail, so my hours would vary, but never later than 9 p.m.. Then I went to restaurants, so I would work days and nights (sometimes until 1 a.m. when the kitchen closed, and sometimes until 2 or 3 a.m. when the bar closed, occasionally a double shift which would be 7 a.m. until midnight or 1 a.m.). Even when I worked the night shifts I still couldn't really sleep in past 8 or 9 a.m.. I was glad to finally settle in to a day job.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Well, that's just it. We don't change them every 6 months. Its November and March so 8 months DST and 4 "standard". More or less.
    Average of those is 6 months. :dunno:

:stickpoke:

:):

(Assuming that the claim that four months is the non-corrected time) The fact that only four months is standard is also dumb and should suggest the need for a new standard, IMO. (I'm in a working evening and don't have time to look into it at the moment.

Well, on the plus side.... Starting next week my counterparts in India can end their day a little earlier and still overlap a bit with those of us in USA-East. My 7AM will be their 4:30PM starting next week.

Yeah, India is on the 1/2 hour, and does not observe DST. Maybe they are on to something... Indiana should move to -4.5, or -4.75 just to be contrary.
    Hey now, I struggle enough with the conversion to Indian Standard Time when our time is jumping around every 4 or 8 months (some folks get real upset if you say 6 months).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We in Indiana have tried most of the possible options. To me this seems best. If people did not beef about changing clocks they would be complaining about how the TV schedule is messed up, or their zoom meeting times are screwed up vs those that do change. Then there is the whole computer time issue, the Indiana non uniformity would need to be programed into every software with a time feature.
    At least in Windows, Indiana East still exists as a time zone that could be used, separate from US Eastern.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I really cannot help those that have nothing in their lives they want to do outdoors after normal work hours. They can stay inside and tend to the virtual life they manage online…
    Actually, when I was working and not TDY, I usually worked about 0700 to around 1500, still left me plenty of time to do things after work that required light, and if I needed more time I took it

Maybe you need to get a job that doesn't require a time clock

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    I'm RETIRED! :woot:

Now if I could get my body to sleep 8 hours at night, and be awake in the day, that would be great.
    Trust me it will come, been retired five years now. My shift began early was always up by four am. First year probably always woke up at 4 and tossed, turned and tried to stay in bed but couldn’t. This month I have been thinking about setting an alarm because I sleep now until 7:30 and feel like I am getting lazy.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Trust me it will come, been retired five years now. My shift began early was always up by four am. First year probably always woke up at 4 and tossed, turned and tried to stay in bed but couldn’t. This month I have been thinking about setting an alarm because I sleep now until 7:30 and feel like I am getting lazy.
    Much truth to this. Although we're still a few years from retirement I can see this being a problem.

On the weekends I usually get up around 0630, internal clock does a pretty good job of it. The wife on the other hand usually tries to get up somewhere around the crack of noon. She is constantly awed by how much we accomplish before noon on those days she gets up with me versus how little we get done when I let her sleep in. (Although admittedly I get a LOT done in those hours that it's just me and the labs!) :lmfao:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I somehow doubt that the majority would want 9:00am sunrise in December and a 6:30 sunset. I wouldn’t care but I bet others do. The time change is to balance the daylight as best we can to the normal work day…

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What does a light in the house have to do with daylight for working, shooting, fishing? If one is not active and just watches TV all night I guess it does not matter…
    Seriously you can't figure out a way to do those things without DST? It's one hour difference not a big deal.

Street lights your job has lights unless you work in the Stone age. I've even set up light on my range at night to shoot... big deal.

Even my vehicles have light so I can drive in darkness to work and come home in darkness.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom