• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Wait wait wait. So let me get this right. In the winter, when there are less daylight hours available, we want daylight for our work hours, but in the summer, where we could have light for the work hours and the evening, we want daylight in the evenings. Is that really the argument you're using? The primary argument for switching between EST and EDT in this thread has been "we want more light in the evenings". Why does this desire for more evening light change in the winter time?

Yep, seems like Ingomike's whole defense distills down to a non sequitur, he's painted his position right into a logical corner. :eek:

I wonder what he'll try next to recover.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    The Heck with all of you that want argue about it, move to Dildo, Newfoundland Canada and set your darn clocks to a half hour setting, so when eastern time is 7pm, it'll actually be 6:30pm there, now you really think you have something to biotch about when it comes down to DST, live with that :poop:, the time zone and the town name.:cool:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yep, seems like Ingomike's whole defense distills down to a non sequitur, he's painted his position right into a logical corner. :eek:

I wonder what he'll try next to recover.

LOL! My whole defense of DST is actually that I like it! That and coupled with other indisputable facts.

1) There apparently is enough satisfaction with it to extend it a few years ago.

2) There is no significant organized effort to change it at the national level.

3) If it really was a big deal the whiners would whine all year, not, predictably, the two weeks before the clock change.

It is hard to convey in a text posts on the internet, but I truly love this thread and have a fun time sparing with the members that participate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    LOL! My whole defense of DST is actually that I like it! That and coupled with other indisputable facts.

1) There apparently is enough satisfaction with it to extend it a few years ago.

3) If it really was a big deal the whiners would whine all year, not, predictably, the two weeks before the clock change.

It is hard to convey in a text posts on the internet, but I truly love this thread and have a fun time sparing with the members that participate.

Okay, here's my proposal. Since most people work during the week (M-F), we'll observe EDT M-F, then go back to EST from midnight Friday night thru midnight Sunday night. That way it'll be light in the evening for you 9 to 5ers, and I don't have to wait until almost lunch time before it's light enough to go out and work in the yard on the weekends. Deal? ;)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Okay, here's my proposal. Since most people work during the week (M-F), we'll observe EDT M-F, then go back to EST from midnight Friday night thru midnight Sunday night. That way it'll be light in the evening for you 9 to 5ers, and I don't have to wait until almost lunch time before it's light enough to go out and work in the yard on the weekends. Deal? ;)

Wow! Changing clocks twice a week, now that's progressive.

But, if doing that I vote for the 1 minute change per day for 60 days, you know, for the children and dogs...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So, you fail to come up with any benefit but just keep describing a "recentering of the daylight" as if that's somehow important (but only in the winter, because muh summertime evenin' light.)

Do any of the folks at these other sites where you discuss this topic have anything more to consider? Some actual benefit to changing all the schedules twice per year?

All I hear is yammering about summer schedule preferences here which doesn't even begin to address the biannual change silliness. If people like more daylight after work, it shouldn't matter what season it is or that it never really needs to be "centered" on anything.

BTW, PM me and we will meet in person and I'll buy sammich's for us to argue over...

But it must be on DST. LOL

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The Heck with all of you that want argue about it, move to Dildo, Newfoundland Canada and set your darn clocks to a half hour setting, so when eastern time is 7pm, it'll actually be 6:30pm there, now you really think you have something to biotch about when it comes down to DST, live with that :poop:, the time zone and the town name.:cool:

(Smirk) He said "Dildo" (Smirk)

intro-1572986014.jpg

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    LOL! My whole defense of DST is actually that I like it!

That's the non sequitur. You claim to like changing your schedule in March so that you'll have more evening daylight.
    Then, you claim to like changing your schedule in November so that you'll have less evening daylight.

That doesn't even make sense as an emotional appeal to preference, I'm unclear as to how you manage to feign excitement and celebration for both changes.

...and, you still haven't offered any actual benefit of these perpetual schedule changes for us to logically consider if it's worth the cost of maintaining such an antiquated practice, especially as the rest of the world moves to abandon it.

That and coupled with other indisputable facts.

I'd say the government counts on the general apathy of the public, their susceptibility to propaganda and to incremental conditioning. You seem to believe at this point that the public had some part in implementing DST or that we could just change it by referendum if enough people changed their minds! :):

I get no enjoyment from this public service.

OK, maybe a little. :cool:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, you fail to come up with any benefit but just keep describing a "recentering of the daylight" as if that's somehow important (but only in the winter, because muh summertime evenin' light.)

Do any of the folks at these other sites where you discuss this topic have anything more to consider? Some actual benefit to changing all the schedules twice per year?

All I hear is yammering about summer schedule preferences here which doesn't even begin to address the biannual change silliness. If people like more daylight after work, it shouldn't matter what season it is or that it never really needs to be "centered" on anything.

C'mon. Let's it in the realm of logic. If "recentering" is desirable, and adjusting the clock time within time zones accomplishes that, then it's logical to do it, and furthermore, it would be logical to have the rest of the world on the same timekeeping system, for the sake of schedule.

If you're going to argue against changing the clocks, a logical argument would need to challenge the points made. Does changing the clocks actually "center" the daylight in the way that Mike claims it does? If it does, then is there really a benefit to it? If there is a benefit to it, is the benefit great enough and applicable to enough people in society that it's justifiable to have society change its clocks twice per year? Just claiming victory before you've made any actual, logical, counterpoint, isn't a logical argument.

It sounds more like the basis of your argument is, "I don't like it, some other people don't like it, therefore I win." But you didn't win. Society, with a very few exceptions, still change the clocks. And what's important to me, having my work schedule, coincide with my employer's, and the rest of society, is better served to me personally by changing my clock too. I've said before, I'm fine with leaving the clocks alone, though I do prefer to have more daylight at the end of my day than the beginning. But I'd like society to follow that too so that we are all on predictable schedules. I'm even better with going to UTC. No matter what people's work schedule is, if I have a meeting at 5AM UTC, then participant knows what time that meeting is no matter where the sun is at that time. Consistency in timekeeping is more important to me than the position of the sun.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    This.
    I don't care when they make the sun rise/set.
    Just pick a time, and leave it.

Absolutely....

Man trying to manipulate time and nature. You cannot have it both ways, although other nature benders would argue that point. BUT why not follow what the liberals say about others who try to manipulate nature. You can call it whatever you want and follow whichever you wish. It's YOUR time and YOUR sunrise/sunset to do what you wish. The government cannot tell me if my body better with DST or not; only I can determine that.

My body tells me I AM a DST with Central Time feelings.....regardless where I live; and you HAVE to accommodate me and NOT discriminate. TransTimeNatureGenders (TTNG) matter too!

If you show up late for work, they cannot discriminate against you and fire you for YOUR choice. It's who you are as person.

Top Bottom