• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's not "just about changing the clock"

I'm not saying we do it for power savings.

The other links are just fear mongering,

All the items listed would seem to me to consistent with increased activity due to daylight at that time providing opportunity to engage in productive pursuits. If that daylight were all 5AM there would definitely be less activity in that hour of daylight.

Actually, that makes my point, the people use that hour in the evening to be more productive by clearly doing more than they would at 5AM...

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    The only bad part is that the kids will be getting on the school bus in the dark again. Ours get on at 6:45. It is just now getting light out. Spring ahead and it won't be light for an hour.
    The kids in the eastern part of our time zone are going to school at the same time. However it has been light out for an hour in NYC. If we must have DLST put us in the time zone we belong.
    Everyone with bus riders in an area that is in the western part of their time zone puts the kids on the side of the road in the dark.

And just so everyone knows I am a farmer. The cows don't know how to tell time. I don't care what the clock says.
    When it gets light I go to work, when I get hungry I come in for lunch, when it gets dark I start to the house.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    I absolutely love being on eastern DLST. It is the best thing our local government representatives have ever done, IMO. Most of my customers are on the east coast, so I like being on the same time as them...even though I typically start work an hour before them and finish an hour later.

After a long day at work in the summer months, I get home, get a bite to eat, get on my bicycle at 7pm and go ride for two hours to de-stress. And when I get home, it is still light out! Awesome! Or, I get home from work and have Lenny of time to mow grass or do other maintenance on the house before it is dark. I love it.

Being on eastern DLST is awesome. I will vote against and actively oppose and politic against any politician who tries to change it!

The only argument I ever see from those who don't like our DLST situation is "....the kids at the bus stop..." Argument. Most of the kids I see getting on a bus get picked up from the end of thier driveway or they are sitting in moms car at the bus stop. Or...they know when the bus is coming...because they get a text on thier phone when the bus is around the corner, and they dart out to the bus stop about one minute before the bus comes. For the kids that do stand on the corner...how long do they actually stand there? Ten minutes? They are on their phones the whole time anyway. Who cares. The bus stop argument is not valid in my opinion. Even so....there would still be times of the year when the bus stop would be dark...regardless of what time zone we were in. Just like the stupid two hour delay that schools have when it's really cold out...guess what...it's still cold two hours later.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only bad part is that the kids will be getting on the school bus in the dark again. Ours get on at 6:45. It is just now getting light out. Spring ahead and it won't be light for an hour.
    The kids in the eastern part of our time zone are going to school at the same time. However it has been light out for an hour in NYC. If we must have DLST put us in the time zone we belong.
    Everyone with bus riders in an area that is in the western part of their time zone puts the kids on the side of the road in the dark.

And just so everyone knows I am a farmer. The cows don't know how to tell time. I don't care what the clock says.
    When it gets light I go to work, when I get hungry I come in for lunch, when it gets dark I start to the house.

I used to walk to school in the dark. Waited on the city bus my freshman year. On the corner in the dark. In the rain. In the snow. Regardless. Nobody perished to my knowledge.
    Granted I take the G-kids to school as I am retired and choose to do so. But I never see any kids standing in wait. The bus stops and they come streaming out of cars and houses.
    I for one like the time change.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just heard that the Ohio legislature has started something to petition the U.S. government to put the entire U.S. on DST year round. Don't have a link... just happened to hear it on WTHR.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I used to walk to school in the dark. Waited on the city bus my freshman year. On the corner in the dark. In the rain. In the snow. Regardless. Nobody perished to my knowledge.
    Granted I take the G-kids to school as I am retired and choose to do so. But I never see any kids standing in wait. The bus stops and they come streaming out of cars and houses.
    I for one like the time change.

Must...resist...commenting... about what powered the bus...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Must...resist...commenting... about what powered the bus...

Probably the same as the family car...

iu

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Just heard that the Ohio legislature has started something to petition the U.S. government to put the entire U.S. on DST year round. Don't have a link... just happened to hear it on WTHR.
    That’s retarded.

The part that’s retarded isn’t shifting the hours for the whole country, it’s saying the whole country would then be on DST year round. Yes. Please do readjust the time zones so they shift the waking hours such that it optimizes the waking daylight hours for the most people. And that would become the new standard time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s retarded.

The part that’s retarded isn’t shifting the hours for the whole country, it’s saying the whole country would then be on DST year round. Yes. Please do readjust the time zones so they shift the waking hours such that it optimizes the waking daylight hours for the most people. And that would become the new standard time.

Changing standard time likely involves world treaties as the zones are fairly evenly divided. Each time zone has three sections, in my thinking, perfect time, which is what I believe you want to achieve, and compromise leading and trailing sections. Perfect time is found in Pennsylvania/Ohio line or West Virginia area in the eastern time zone. New York is the leading compromise zone and our own Indiana is the trailing compromise zone.

What we have in Indiana is just that, a compromise, we can be eastern trailing or central leading. I believe it makes economic sense to align with the NY business markets

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Changing standard time likely involves world treaties as the zones are fairly evenly divided. Each time zone has three sections, in my thinking, perfect time, which is what I believe you want to achieve, and compromise leading and trailing sections. Perfect time is found in Pennsylvania/Ohio line or West Virginia area in the eastern time zone. New York is the leading compromise zone and our own Indiana is the trailing compromise zone.

What we have in Indiana is just that, a compromise, we can be eastern trailing or central leading. I believe it makes economic sense to align with the NY business markets

Nah. What world treaty did Medvedev sign when Russia changed from 11 time zones to 9? My point was that going to DST full time is essentially the same thing as saying, okay, **** the time zone offsets we have now. We're just going to push them all forward. That's then the standard time. But if we can do that. We might as well go for it and re-adjust. It wouldn't make everyone happy. Probably this thread would die though. Undoubtedly a new thread would spring up complaining about whatever the new way is. Because the cows don't give a **** about the time on the wall clock. Or some **** that doesn't affect 99% of the people.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Nah. What world treaty did Medvedev sign when Russia changed from 11 time zones to 9? My point was that going to DST full time is essentially the same thing as saying, okay, **** the time zone offsets we have now. We're just going to push them all forward. That's then the standard time. But if we can do that. We might as well go for it and re-adjust. It wouldn't make everyone happy. Probably this thread would die though. Undoubtedly a new thread would spring up complaining about whatever the new way is. Because the cows don't give a **** about the time on the wall clock. Or some **** that doesn't affect 99% of the people.

You expect communists to honor treaties? Oops, wrong thread... LOL

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I absolutely love being on eastern DLST. It is the best thing our local government representatives have ever done, IMO. Most of my customers are on the east coast, so I like being on the same time as them...even though I typically start work an hour before them and finish an hour later.

After a long day at work in the summer months, I get home, get a bite to eat, get on my bicycle at 7pm and go ride for two hours to de-stress. And when I get home, it is still light out! Awesome! Or, I get home from work and have Lenny of time to mow grass or do other maintenance on the house before it is dark. I love it.

Being on eastern DLST is awesome. I will vote against and actively oppose and politic against any politician who tries to change it!

The only argument I ever see from those who don't like our DLST situation is "....the kids at the bus stop..." Argument. Most of the kids I see getting on a bus get picked up from the end of thier driveway or they are sitting in moms car at the bus stop. Or...they know when the bus is coming...because they get a text on thier phone when the bus is around the corner, and they dart out to the bus stop about one minute before the bus comes. For the kids that do stand on the corner...how long do they actually stand there? Ten minutes? They are on their phones the whole time anyway. Who cares. The bus stop argument is not valid in my opinion. Even so....there would still be times of the year when the bus stop would be dark...regardless of what time zone we were in. Just like the stupid two hour delay that schools have when it's really cold out...guess what...it's still cold two hours later.

Just another "I love more daylight after work" proponent? :rolleyes:

You'd still have it ...even if we stopped the absurd practice of switching everything back and forth by an hour for 4 winter months.

You'd still have it, that thing you like. It wouldn't go away. You'd have it year-round. You act like you believe we need to keep reverting to a different winter schedule in order to keep the summer schedule (which, we get it, you absolutely love).

We don't need to do that. You'd simply have that extra hour of daylight after work through the winter as well. You'd get used to still having it available, I promise. :yesway:

Also, if we don't want kids going to school when it's dark outside, starting school later (you know, when it's light outside) seems the more logical solution.

Now, if you have any real reasoning to continue the absurd practice of switching everything back and forth by an hour for those 4 winter months, please do share. I'd love to hear it. :cool:

:popcorn:

Top Bottom