Dad wants a new AR, something other than a 5.56.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which caliber for new AR build

• Total voters

EzShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    .450 bushmaster is 1.7in OAL so its deer legal for 2012. i would go with whatever ammo is more available since you dont reload. if you did reload the wildcat .35/25 WSSM is very tempting to me but it is harder to find a barrel for it.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    6.5 Grendel.
    .308 ballistics in a round that fits an AR-15 lower and is hunting legal. Ammo was just accepted as a standard SAAMI round so more companies will be producing it (thus lowering cost). Unbelievably accurate out to 1,000 yds, it can be configured with a 16" barrel to make a lightweight packin' rifle with a lot of punch. 20" are popular as well.
    Lapua Scenar bullets have one of the highest ballistic co-efficients you'll ever see.

Besides, someday maybe you'll want to try a little open country deer hunting or long range target shooting and the Grendel gets it done.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    The spikes tactical suppressed sbr chambered in 300blk makes me drool...

But the price (even before the stamps) makes me cringe....

STR3100-CMP.jpg

Since he already has a lower, and it sounds like he does not want an sbr - I think any of the rounds you have mentioned would make for a fun gun :)

Last edited:

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    I voted 3oo blackout, but real depends on what he likes to do plinker, hunter, long ranger. I have a 458 and fire big game its the cats meow, but ammo is expensive. The 450/Beowulf seem to be more readily available and more inexpensive. I just purchased an Ak74 to plink, I would like to shoot in am AR15 to compare. Long range go Grendel...just my2.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a 458 and a 5.56 so I voted for the 300(BLK) Yeah, 458 ammo is expensive but I do reload, so it's not a issue for me. But it still a fun gun to shoot and you could go up to 500 gr bullets to take care of some very big games if needed, even bigfoot would go down if got shot by one.

Top Bottom