• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I can't even begin to imagine what seeing two of my children die before my very eyes at the hands of a drunk driver. If that doesn't constitute temporary insanity then I don't know what does. In my opinion he probably had about as much control over his actions as the drunk driver did. I could not vote to convict in this case.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    ??? What's the second tragedy??? Justifiable homicide, no crime committed, next.

That drunk driver was special to someone (hopefully). What a terrible existence it would be were that not the case.

The other tragedy is that this father/husband/son has affected the lives of the people he loves, and not for the best.

Just one man's opinion.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ??? What's the second tragedy??? Justifiable homicide, no crime committed, next.

I think I where youre going. The drunk driver was assaulting them with a deadly weapon. The driver is lucky the father found his handgun and not his hammer. The rage the father felt is something most of us will never know.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Meh. I don't completely buy into the theory that the State has sole authority there, this is why we have juries, so that it ISN'T just the State making the decision, but some randomly chosen (in theory if not actual practice) subset of the general public.

I DO think he should face a jury of his peers for his actions, but if a jury of his peers refuses to convict then that's where it ends.

Nor do I. I believe firmly in jury nullification. In this case I see no reason to nullify the penalty for killing a man merely because he was angry and distraught. If justice cannot wait until you can calmly and reasonably measure and mete it out then it is likely not justice.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    He should have waited for him to go home and shot some tear gas to burn the place down. That's how you off someone without a trial these days

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I would had done the same thing maybe not a gun probably my fist but it would had never made it to a jury. I wish him luck in his upcoming trial.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't think I could convict him either.

This is clearly a case of temporary insanity if I've ever seen one. It's not like he even thought about it. Dude's kids got plowed over, he goes home, gets a gun and shoots him.

I wonder if he knew he was drunk?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I can't imagine the grief and rage I would feel if I watched someone kill my children. I honestly can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing in this situation. I honestly can't say that I would have, either. Truth be told I have no idea what I would have done. I've never been a fan of taking the law into your own hands but yet this wasn't a situation where someone was robbed or beat up. This was a man who saw his kids die at the hands of an irresponsible person. I really have no idea which way I would sway on this simply because one half of me says one thing and the parental half says another. This is a perfect example of why I never drive after I've been drinking. Ever. I don't think I could live with myself if my actions hurt someone else.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I have NO problem whatsoever with this man's actions , I wouldn't have had to go home .

Justus was served much quicker and less expensive than our SORRY A** JUDICIAL system could've dealt it out .

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    I would like to say the politically correct thing and say let the justice system do its job but we all know how that would work out. So lets just say if someone every injured or killed one of my kids all I can say is the cops better get to them before me.

TravisJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Muncie/Ft. Wayne, IN
    I wouldn't vote to convict, even though what he did was wrong. I can't say for certain that I wouldn't do something regretful. After ending two children's lives, the least the drunk guy should get is life in prison. By going through the court system he probably would have gotten out sooner or later. If those were my children that would be unacceptable to me.

Top Bottom