• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Which parts specifically do you usually order? I want to do some of the cajun upgrades, but am not sure which ones actually make a big difference. I can do the work myself, and would like to limit it to what is most cost effective. TIA!
    I suggest you look around this forum. You should find it very interesting.
    CZ GUNSMITHING

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I suggest you look around this forum. You should find it very interesting.
    CZ GUNSMITHING

Thanks! It looks like I am going to be polishing a LOT more parts than I anticipated! Fortunately, I have plenty of time before spring to get it all done.

I ended up purchasing one of the nicer looking Israeli surplus pistols from Mach 1. It was VERY dirty when I got it, but it has cleaned up nicely. Basically, a bit of holster wear and a couple of scratches on the outside, but like new on the inside. He described the bore as 70%, but 10 minutes with a bore brush and it looks new. I assume he was just being conservative since it was so dirty. It has an interesting finish. It looks like it was parkerized, and then something like a black cerakote finish was added to the outside surfaces. The inside just has the grey parkerizing, or whatever it is.

Assuming I do a decent job smoothing the action and with a handful of cajun parts I should end up with a pretty nice pistol for $450 total. Obviously, it helps that I like having winter projects.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Thanks! It looks like I am going to be polishing a LOT more parts than I anticipated! Fortunately, I have plenty of time before spring to get it all done.

I ended up purchasing one of the nicer looking Israeli surplus pistols from Mach 1. It was VERY dirty when I got it, but it has cleaned up nicely. Basically, a bit of holster wear and a couple of scratches on the outside, but like new on the inside. He described the bore as 70%, but 10 minutes with a bore brush and it looks new. I assume he was just being conservative since it was so dirty. It has an interesting finish. It looks like it was parkerized, and then something like a black cerakote finish was added to the outside surfaces. The inside just has the grey parkerizing, or whatever it is.

Assuming I do a decent job smoothing the action and with a handful of cajun parts I should end up with a pretty nice pistol for $450 total. Obviously, it helps that I like having winter projects.
    Cool. The good thing about those is you don't have to "shoot them in". If you get lucky those can be great guns. I have bought a few from CDI in Kentucky. He always underrates his guns.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Ever since BA posted the link to the ex-mil CZ 75Bs on GunBroker, I've been thinking I need to pick one of these up. I've been adding up the costs and with a refinish, fresh springs and CGW parts, I can add a top notch CZ to the collection for under $700. That's a hard thing to pass up.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ever since BA posted the link to the ex-mil CZ 75Bs on GunBroker, I've been thinking I need to pick one of these up. I've been adding up the costs and with a refinish, fresh springs and CGW parts, I can add a top notch CZ to the collection for under $700. That's a hard thing to pass up.

The only caution to that is if you would have to re-barrel. That cost would significantly impact the good deal. I bought an alloy frame milsurp compact that just would not shoot straight. The polygonal rifling was almost invisible.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Like BA said.....rolling the dice on a beat down Mil-Surp.
    Every Mil-Surp I have ever had needed a total re-fit. The run the living hell out of them.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Like BA said.....rolling the dice on a beat down Mil-Surp.
    Every Mil-Surp I have ever had needed a total re-fit. The run the living hell out of them.

It could be a fantastic deal. It could also be about a break even or slight loss compared to a new gun plus parts.

But I am tempted by it all the time. ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    As soon as I save a few nickels I am going to get one and leave it stock. That way people who want to try a CZ can get a better idea of what they will get from a new stock one. My guns are not a good representation of that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    churchmouse we need to hit the range together. I'll bring my CZ and all the 1911's and we willhave a blast.

I would truly enjoy that.
    Thanks to BA and his humanitarian mind set I will soon be a part of the CZickness. It is a .45 and a drastic change in platforms for me but I see myself weakening. There may well be a 9mm in the safe before long. Those crazy a$$ hot rod Rami's are pretty cool

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good points on the worn out barrels. I was not considering that in the cost. In the past, I had very good luck with ex-police CZs and was assuming these would be no different but there's a big difference in ex-mil and ex-police. Police guns get carried a lot but shot little and military guns tend to get carried little but shot a lot. I just ran the numbers and to do what I had in mind, it is actually north of $1000. That would be for the full CGW treatment, VZ grips, HD sights and sending it out for NibX. It got expensive quickly and it would be a waste to do that to a gun with a marginal barrel.

On the bright side, it looks like CZ is turning out a better Retro CZ 75 now: CZ-USA CZ75B RETRO 9mm 16RD *LTD $556.00 SHIPS FREE This one does not look like it's using a standard CZ 75B slide.

Cancel that. It's the same slide as the last 'almost' retro.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I would truly enjoy that.
    Thanks to BA and his humanitarian mind set I will soon be a part of the CZickness. It is a .45 and a drastic change in platforms for me but I see myself weakening. There may well be a 9mm in the safe before long. Those crazy a$$ hot rod Rami's are pretty cool

I'll bring my Dan Wesson PM9 9mm 1911 just for you. You'll fall in love and have a 9mm in your safe soon.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Good points on the worn out barrels. I was not considering that in the cost. In the past, I had very good luck with ex-police CZs and was assuming these would be no different but there's a big difference in ex-mil and ex-police. Police guns get carried a lot but shot little and military guns tend to get carried little but shot a lot. I just ran the numbers and to do what I had in mind, it is actually north of $1000. That would be for the full CGW treatment, VZ grips, HD sights and sending it out for NibX. It got expensive quickly and it would be a waste to do that to a gun with a marginal barrel.

On the bright side, it looks like CZ is turning out a better Retro CZ 75 now: CZ-USA CZ75B RETRO 9mm 16RD *LTD $556.00 SHIPS FREE This one does not look like it's using a standard CZ 75B slide.

Cancel that. It's the same slide as the last 'almost' retro.

Things add up quick. The problem with the rebarrel is that it has to be fitted by a gunsmith which means either CGW or the CZ Custom shop. That would not be cheap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Things add up quick. The problem with the rebarrel is that it has to be fitted by a gunsmith which means either CGW or the CZ Custom shop. That would not be cheap.

Is the barrel that difficult to fit up. I thought 1911 barrels were tough but I have done several with good results. Well, so far anyway.

Top Bottom