• Status
    Not open for further replies.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    If you are in a hurry do the L1 process. Our son will be attending the police academy in January and wanted to get his ASAP. He did the L1 process, took about one week.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I originally had a 4 year.. Wanted to renew to a lifetime. Did online app on 1/12. Paid local fee on 1/16, mailed app and fingerprints on 1/17.. Hoping to get it within a week or so...

Nice to see it's moving along a LOT faster than when Obama first came into office... :)

jeff1980

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    I did mine 12/13 using L1 and still haven't received it. My girlfreind did hers a week after I did and got it in about 3 weeks. Anyone else have a wait like this even when using L1?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was actually looking for something a bit simpler, but I do thank you for the link. I read through it, and had a number of questions answered.

A step-by-step process from those knowledgeable, would be of great help.

Uhm, ok, this is in the link I posted..
    What is this L-1 process?
    L-1 Identity Solutions is a third-party contracted by the State to perform the fingerprinting and background check. It's available in all counties and the only choice available in some. Combined with submitting your LTCH application online (in the available counties), this greatly speeds the process of receiving your pretty pink piece of paper.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_...ch_online.html
    Which has a link that leads you to this:
    I just recently applied online. There is a huge advantage to applying online! The process goes as follows.
    1. Fill out your application online and pay you state fee of $75 for lifetime +$10.95 extra for online fee (definately worth the extra money).
    2. Schedule an appointment with an L1 fingerprint site.
    3. Go to your appointment and get fingerprinted.
    4. Take the confirmation sheet that L1 gives you to your local PD station to pay your local fee.
    -As for your question of what happens at the local PD. It seems like it depends on what your local PD makes you do. I myself didn't have to do fingerprints at Highland's Police Department. All I had to do was go over my online app to make sure all my info was correct and gave them their $50 for local fee. Then they took me downstairs to take pictures for their records. And then I had to have a quick 2minute interview with chief of police and all he asks is "Why do you want your LTCH". Thats it. I got my permit within a weeks time! It's definately worth applying online.

EDIT: The link for the online app, just in case ..
    http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx

Will you be needing your hand held at L1 and the PD as well? I am free on Wednesday..

:D

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Well thank you so very much. You gave me the link, to the link of the what I was seeking. :) Wouldn't it have just been easier to just give the second one to begin? :dunno:

If you would like to, I promise to not tell anyone. But I do have sweaty palms, so you'll have to sprinkle some talc before I let you hold my hand....big guy. ::blush::

:D

Eh, I always err on the side of too much info. Thought there might be more information in the FAQ that would interest you.

BTW, thanks for having a sense of humor, I sometimes forget that people dont know me and my sarcastic nature. :cool:

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    I applied 12/28. Fingerprints 12/28. Local called, background check was done. Paid local fees 1/24. I was told to wait 7-10 days.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I applied online and paid everything to my local PD. Apparently the slow way. I didn't realize that you could pay the state online. Anyway, I've got 9 weeks out labeled on my calender. Hopefully I'm surprised early..

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    In all honesty, I am shocked at some of the information contained in these posts. Applicants having to interview with the Chief? You're late for the mail, so it'll be another two weeks? Took your photograph? These are, in my opinion, unreasonable and unnecessary "steps" intended to impede the process. So glad I don't live within these jurisdictions. I'm not sure if the chief interview or the photograph tick me off most!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I'm a little curious as to who does these background checks. I keep hearing that the local PD does it, etc, but I thought it was ALL done by the State Police (except for L1). Is this not the case?

The reason I ask is 4 years ago when I did this 4 years ago (got the 4 year at the time) I did it at the county, as I lived outside city limits. Took them their money orders and they sent everything off. I just got fingerprinted and they did the rest.

A week or so ago, when I went to renew to the lifetime, I had to go into the city PD (moved inside city limits) after doing my renewal app online. (Didn't do L1) - Did the app late at night, and the next day the officer who does LTCH apps had everything ready to go for me to 'send off' to the state police. I simply had to go back in with their cash and get fingerprinted once again. I left with the fingerprint card, my app and the addressed envelope it went in.

So - does anyone know definitively who does what?

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Apparently, there are different procedures at different places. Basically, you submit your online application, get your prints and pay fees at L1 appointment, take the L1 issued receipt to your local law enforcement agency, they run a criminal history & collect local fee, they then electronically submit your application to the state with their recommendation as to approve or disapprove you. You man, instead of L1 electronic prints, have your prints done on a fingerprint card at your LE office and pay local fees at the same time, then you will mail the application & fingerprints and the LE office will submit it electronically. ISP Firearms is discouraging the manual prints though, saying it can take 6 months to process.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom