• Status
    Not open for further replies.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    why do you keep stating contact local LEO to pay your toll? It is already paid up... right.

And I agree... if we all paid $125 and hired a lawyer we could have set a great precedent in IN.

$$$ to excercise your rights! And tax my healthcare while your at it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    why do you keep stating contact local LEO to pay your toll? It is already paid up... right.

And I agree... if we all paid $125 and hired a lawyer we could have set a great precedent in IN.

I keep saying it, because you gotta go give 'em 10 bucks, and get their recommendation. The locals will then forward L1's check on to the state, and you'll have a license a couple days later.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

Local is $50 for the lifetime, state is $75. L1 is $10.95. As far as I know you cant pay your local at L1, you have to go into your local LEO building.

Good to see that it's back to around three months...even though three months is a long time to wait on the state to give you the OK to exercise a "right".

I'm pleased to death to see so many people getting their license to carry a handgun. It's a shame that we didn't all pitch in $125.00 to a INGO group lawyer to sue the State of Indiana to get the license system abolished. We should be following Arizona's example of "a right is a right". If you have a "right" to keep and bear arms, then you don't need to purchase a license from the state in order to exercise that "right".

Right?

I always laugh when people say this. Its not something you can simply throw money at and get changed. I will admit that I am to not knowing everything, but I am pretty confident I am correct on this: No one has ever sued a state and abolished their license to carry/permit to carry system. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I filled out the on-line form on Saturday, and met with L-1 today. Should I wait a little while before I go to the Sheriff's department? I'm assuming that L-1 will need a little time to do the background check before the sheriff's can do their thing, but I might be wrong.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Go to Application for Handgun License I got my LTCH in 1 week.

Note, you still have to do L1. Doing your app online does not make it any quicker if you dont use L1.

I filled out the on-line form on Saturday, and met with L-1 today. Should I wait a little while before I go to the Sheriff's department? I'm assuming that L-1 will need a little time to do the background check before the sheriff's can do their thing, but I might be wrong.

You can go in the same day, I believe. L1 does not communicate with your local. You can tell your local that you did L1, but they may still make you do ink prints. Once the ISP receives your packet from your local, they can issue the license.

And now for the big news! I received my refund from my original app! That means that from they time I filed my original with the state, it was 97 days. That is 3 months and 5 days, or 13.5 weeks.

For those that dont know what I am talking about, I chose to refile. If you did the paper prints, you can schedule an L1 appointment, and do the L1. You will have to pay the L1 fee ($10.95) and the state fee again ($75 for lifetime). If you have already paid your local and mailed that paperwork in, you dont have to pay them again. According to the ISP, you will receive a refund. Frankly, I had my doubts. No one had done this before (the member who discovered it did it only days before me, credit to him for the discovery). Obviously, you will receive your refund (or at least I did).

Oh, and they also sent me my ink prints back, as well as my original app, but not the one I signed, a reprint of it.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    [
    You can go in the same day, I believe. L1 does not communicate with your local. You can tell your local that you did L1, but they may still make you do ink prints. Once the ISP receives your packet from your local, they can issue the license.

[/quote]

So, then L1 just handles the background check quickly so that its ready at the ISP when the local info gets there??

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    When Cathy did L1 on a Friday, she called Crawfordsville PD on Monday to see what she needed to do for the local part. They told her that when they got the background check from L1, they would call her, so apparently L1 does send the info to your local authority. On Tuesday, C-ville PD called Cathy, she went in and paid the local fee, and the PD forwarded the application on to the state. She got her LTCH in the mail on Thursday.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    [

So, then L1 just handles the background check quickly so that its ready at the ISP when the local info gets there??[/quote]

That is MY understanding, based on what I was told and my odd experience with it. I could be wrong (see the rest of this post). Oh, and yes, L1 handles the background check. Your local will probably still do one, and the state may still be doing one (whether it is at the time of the app, or if they grant the app based upon L1s recommendation, then do a check later). Or the state could not be doing a second check. Who knows.

When Cathy did L1 on a Friday, she called Crawfordsville PD on Monday to see what she needed to do for the local part. They told her that when they got the background check from L1, they would call her, so apparently L1 does send the info to your local authority. On Tuesday, C-ville PD called Cathy, she went in and paid the local fee, and the PD forwarded the application on to the state. She got her LTCH in the mail on Thursday.

Not disagreeing with you. From what Elkhart City PD told me when I did the original app, it was "Are you going to apply online?" "Yes" "Call us two days after you do it online to make sure we have received it and printed it out". Later on when I did the refile, I asked the lady about the L1 process (and the refile, but she had no clue). She stated that they "wont even know the difference" and they "do the exact same thing if you do it L1 or if you do it paper, you pay your local, they witness you signing all the paperwork, and they do ink prints". If it makes any difference, I did not even go back to Elkhart PD when I refiled, since they would be doing the same thing, and it was already mailed from the first one. If they do have communication with L1, it is nothing critical. Those statements are what I drew my conclusion from.

Since we have conflicting information, always error on the side of caution: Ask. Chances are you have to call and find out their hours anyway. Just ask if they have your app and if you can come in. While you are at it, ask if they have any communication with L1, report back here please.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    1 week with L1. I went to L1 than took my son to the dr. Then headed to the city county building the same day. L1 told me I could just go straight to city county if I wanted to.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Completed my online application June 30, 2010.
    Printed and mailed materials July 2, 2010.
    Received LTCH this morning September 15, 2010.

So, roughly 75 days non-L1.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Live and learn!

Wife applied for her Lifetime LTCH tonight. This time we used the L1 option (fool me once)! State and L1 already paid with CC online $85.95. Appointment with L1 for printing and background check tomorrow Sat. 09/18/2010 @ 11:45. Will pick up money order $50.00 at bank in AM and after finishing with L1 tomorrow will probably go to room 100 @ City County building on Monday. Anxious to see how long it will take to get hers. Mine took 15 weeks and 3 days doing it the old fashioned way (I applied at IMPD on April 13th of this year and did not receive until July 29th)! See all of my earlier frustration by going back in this thread to that time period. Oh well! We shall see! :D

PS: Congratulations to all those who have received their licenses since I last posted on this thread! :rockwoot::D :rockwoot:

PPS: Will keep everyone updated on here with actual times as they occur. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom