Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I applied on 8/23/2010
    - Went to Indy City building
    - Signed app/took prints/ paid fees

Later I found this forum and seen the L-1 option. (ARRRRGGGH)

So Today (8/26/2010)
    - Made Appointment for L-1
    - Took Digital Prints
    - Paid State fee (again) through L-1

Now: Debating on whether or not I should go back down to the city building again. It looks like some other members just did the L-1 after applying traditionally and it all worked out... Think I should be good as is? No reason to go back down to the city building and re-pay and refile right?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I applied on 8/23/2010
    - Went to Indy City building
    - Signed app/took prints/ paid fees

Later I found this forum and seen the L-1 option. (ARRRRGGGH)

So Today (8/26/2010)
    - Made Appointment for L-1
    - Took Digital Prints
    - Paid State fee (again) through L-1

Now: Debating on whether or not I should go back down to the city building again. It looks like some other members just did the L-1 after applying traditionally and it all worked out... Think I should be good as is? No reason to go back down to the city building and re-pay and refile right?

If you have already mailed the paperwork from the local, and you didnt do a new online permit, you dont need to. It is a waste of money to, since local wont give you a refund. However, if you filed a new permit online, then did L1, the state will have no record of you completing your local fees, therefore you would need to pay a second time.

Lastly, you will supposedly get a refund for your original state fee. I say supposedly, because I havent gotten mine. This is a new work around, so we are unsure if they really will issue it automatically like they told us, and we wont know for a few more weeks at best.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you have already mailed the paperwork from the local, and you didnt do a new online permit, you dont need to. It is a waste of money to, since local wont give you a refund. However, if you filed a new permit online, then did L1, the state will have no record of you completing your local fees, therefore you would need to pay a second time.

Lastly, you will supposedly get a refund for your original state fee. I say supposedly, because I havent gotten mine. This is a new work around, so we are unsure if they really will issue it automatically like they told us, and we wont know for a few more weeks at best.

Hey, thanks for the info.

It was weird though. I did "redo" the online app, but it just said "Duplicate Application" and produced the same confirmation number as before. It was from that point that I clicked on the L-1 option and made my appointment. I couldn't locate ANYWHERE in the L-1 process what app # it was working with. But it "seems" to me that I should be "ok". I hope anyways.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    OK,,,so I applied online for Hendricks Co on Tues. Made my appointment with L-1 for Sat AM and will be completing the local part with the Hendricks Co Sherriff Dept this evening.
    Will keep track and see how long it takes... They say 3-7 days, I am hoping to have it soon.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Hey, thanks for the info.

It was weird though. I did "redo" the online app, but it just said "Duplicate Application" and produced the same confirmation number as before. It was from that point that I clicked on the L-1 option and made my appointment. I couldn't locate ANYWHERE in the L-1 process what app # it was working with. But it "seems" to me that I should be "ok". I hope anyways.

Good to know. You should get a confirmation email from L1. If you followed the link from the ISP after the app, it should have auto added your app number. I doubt it would accept it without the number anyways. So, you should be good to go!

OK,,,so I applied online for Hendricks Co on Tues. Made my appointment with L-1 for Sat AM and will be completing the local part with the Hendricks Co Sherriff Dept this evening.
    Will keep track and see how long it takes... They say 3-7 days, I am hoping to have it soon.

That is optimistic, but certainly happens! Mine took 9 days. I hope everything went well for you for the local part. Some jurisdictions will make you do the L1 process first.

Welcome to INGO and stay safe! :ingo:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    That is optimistic, but certainly happens! Mine took 9 days. I hope everything went well for you for the local part. Some jurisdictions will make you do the L1 process first.

Welcome to INGO and stay safe! :ingo:[/quote]

It turns out the I will be doing the L1 first, as for some dumb a@@ reason the local Sherriffs' office is only open until 4 pm.....I really really hate that places like this don't realize that most normal people have jobs and can't take care of things like this during so called "bankers hours". No options for weekends either. Again,,,we are supplanted to the whims and wills of the establishment and must make special arrangments, reschedule, rearrange, and interrupt our normal lives in order to claim a RIGHT that was given to us over 200 years ago
    Just don't seem right,,,do it?

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It turns out the I will be doing the L1 first, as for some dumb a@@ reason the local Sherriffs' office is only open until 4 pm.....I really really hate that places like this don't realize that most normal people have jobs and can't take care of things like this during so called "bankers hours". No options for weekends either.

Eh, catch-22. If they have longer hours, that equates to higher labor costs and increased taxes to pay for them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hopefully you can sneak out for an early lunch break or something and get it done. :)

TJSieling> You and I are in the exact same boat, as I also printed and submitted on July 2nd here in Fishers. I paid with a cashier's check from my bank, but I'm certain that won't make any difference. Reading through the web page, it said that the L1 process would result in less time, but I had no idea just how much quicker it would be. I expected it to take a couple of weeks off the total wait, not reduce it to a matter of days! Tick tick tick...

adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    It took me five days to get mine from when I finished the paper work, but I did what I could through the computer. I had to travel to get my finger prints done electronically. I was amazed!

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    The problem with that is that I don't know if/when they cashed the money order yet... So I have no date to go off of.

Eh, catch-22. If they have longer hours, that equates to higher labor costs and increased taxes to pay for them. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Hopefully you can sneak out for an early lunch break or something and get it done. :)

TJSieling> You and I are in the exact same boat, as I also printed and submitted on July 2nd here in Fishers. I paid with a cashier's check from my bank, but I'm certain that won't make any difference. Reading through the web page, it said that the L1 process would result in less time, but I had no idea just how much quicker it would be. I expected it to take a couple of weeks off the total wait, not reduce it to a matter of days! Tick tick tick...

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

How about they have the hours be 10-6? It will never happen though. People dont want to work later. The dumb thing is, you are just signing some paper and probably doing ink prints. They cant seriously expect us to believe that it requires the records department to be open. Why not just allow appointments for later in the night, and have whoever would in-process prisoners do it? Whatever though, its one inconvenience. Get the lifetime, never have to do it again!

As for the L1, that was the boat I was in. I didnt want to fork over another $11 to shave off a couple weeks (I was also under the naive impression that it would be done in 60 days). Once I found out how fast the L1 was, it was frustrating. I waited patiently for six weeks, then it was discovered that we could refile. I pinched my pennies and made it a priority to refile. When I did, I had my permit in 9 days! I really think they need to emphasize how fast L1 really is, or they need to force the use of L1. Make sure there is one L1 spot in every single county, raise the state fees by $15, contract with L1 (that way no one has to pay any extra fees, since the raised cost would cover it), and there you go. They save money on processing, and the turn around is measured in days rather than months. In a perfect world the money saved on processing would cover the cost of L1, and they wouldnt have to raise the price, and no one would have to pay $11 for L1.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Thursday I applied for a lifetime on line. Friday I did the L1 thing and took the receipt to the St. John police. Lady I saw said she usually only does this on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. She then proceeded to take my drivers license and $50 money order, and in less than 10 minutes she gave me a receipt and said it should take about 3 weeks. I'll post when I get it.

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    My oldest applied yesterday using L-1. He has to go to IMPD yet to pay the local fees. Unfortunately, he goes to school at Purdue (Indy is still his home of record) and it may be a while before he gets to IMPD. Anyone know if I can turn in the money order to the city for him?

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    L1 has several locations in the Indy area, as I've found. They also do appointments for Saturdays....Hmmmm, private enterprise vs public servant? Looks like when you need to compete for the the business, things work better for the consumer....Yet another strong arguement for the "DOWNSIZING" of government. Or am I too right wing? LMAO!!!

josh25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Johnson County
    I applied for mine in febuary it took the city one week to get my prints, then it took the state about 12 weeks so 12 to 14 is probably pretty accurate. But if you call isp they can give you an answer to that.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    My oldest applied yesterday using L-1. He has to go to IMPD yet to pay the local fees. Unfortunately, he goes to school at Purdue (Indy is still his home of record) and it may be a while before he gets to IMPD. Anyone know if I can turn in the money order to the city for him?
    He will have to go because they will take his prints for the city when they take your $50. The L1 takes prints for the state.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    he will have to do it in person, there is still more paper work for him to fill out at the pd.:ingo:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom