• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Network Attached Storage, nothing more than hard drives attached to the network.

Maybe this incident will cause the corporate types to reconsider use of the cloud and SAAS.

I’ve always wondered why any company would allow their data to reside anywhere not under their direct control (the cloud).
    Yes, a group of hard drives attached to the network to allow us to bypass onedrive. Otherwise, for projects where mechanical, electrical, controls etc. all need to work on the same building background won't work. If I update the master central model, it removes it from their central models. Absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention if I have to go into one of the others to help out, then they can't open their own model.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I find it odd that no one trusts Microsoft to do security updates so they all hire third party companies to do updates and security. That doesn't seem to be working well either.

I suppose on the other hand if the computers don't do anything but blue screen they should be pretty secure too.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Trying to fix all this has consumed my entire day. We got the "workaround" this morning but when you add bitlocker into the equations, it gets hairy. We have a ton of off site / remote PCs doing a BSOD boot-loop and some of those are bitlocking on reboot too. Having to use a 48 character bitlocker password to unlock the drive, then a cryptic looking local admin account to delete that stupid .sys file takes about 40 minutes per PC. I'm trying to talk users through all this. Our India based Helpless Desk is "language challenged". They can't even get a ph# right let alone a long password.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Working for the .gov, I'm pretty certain that the right palms were greased to talk them into this crap.

One Drive meets multiple security requirements that shared drives don't. There's a big push for compliance with new privacy/security standards underway, at least on our side of .gov. It has been problematic for many reasons, not least of which is they will be impossible for many LE agencies to comply with. Literally literally, not ohmigosh like literally. The needed funding, manpower, facilities, and expertise simply don't exist on any but the best funded and largest entities, and it's sketchy AF that they can pull it off.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One Drive meets multiple security requirements that shared drives don't. There's a big push for compliance with new privacy/security standards underway, at least on our side of .gov. It has been problematic for many reasons, not least of which is they will be impossible for many LE agencies to comply with. Literally literally, not ohmigosh like literally. The needed funding, manpower, facilities, and expertise simply don't exist on any but the best funded and largest entities, and it's sketchy AF that they can pull it off.
    Even people in our own agency couldn't get to our local shared drive. Everyone and their brother can get to OneDrive. How is that more secure? SharePoint is another one I hate and mostly for the same reasons.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Even people in our own agency couldn't get to our local shared drive. Everyone and their brother can get to OneDrive. How is that more secure? SharePoint is another one I hate and mostly for the same reasons.

No idea, I'm over 20 years out of date in tech nerd babble. I just know one is compliant and one isn't.

Top Bottom