• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    Why can’t it simply be firewalled off at the corporate level? Have one server in a DMZ that gets the updates and then internal staff can copy those and start the process internally so it can either be automated or manually distributed.
    I'm guessing it's all in how their update system works. I believe it uses the same data stream and ports for running as it does for its updates. One of the "perks" of using a cloud based service. Fortunately for us, we have been planning to remove our production environment to a completely isolated network with no outside connections. The business side will stay as is, so office folks can still get out to browse the Internet, but our side (production) will only be able to get out on our laptops. If Suzy in HR can't work for a few hours because her computers are down, nobody really notices. But when you are not pushing product out the door, the company is losing a lot of money and everybody notices.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Pam... When I was 4 or 5, these people from the hills of Tennessee moved in next door. They had a daughter named Pam. I had a crush on her even back then, and she was probably 6 or 7 years older than me. She babysat me a few times. She had incredible yayas. Probably not the same PAM.

The word you're looking for is "bodacious tatas"

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    Same here, I leave it run as there are times I need to jump over to a PC from phone in the evening to handle something work related. Even though my machine could boot fast enough, it just makes it easier to leave it on as I do with my home machines, etc.
    I usually keep my laptop powered off and in its backpack outside of my "normal" work hours. It's a lot more convenient to throw it in the truck when I have to run errands that way. The group I am in is on call 24/7/365 including vacations, holidays, etc. so I always have to have my laptop and cell phone with me. About the only time I can't be reached is when I take the motorcycle to and from work, so about 30 minutes a day this time of year. I haven't found a Bluetooth device that will stay in my ear at 75-80 MPH so my managers know I can't answer the phone then.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I usually keep my laptop powered off and in its backpack outside of my "normal" work hours. It's a lot more convenient to throw it in the truck when I have to run errands that way. The group I am in is on call 24/7/365 including vacations, holidays, etc. so I always have to have my laptop and cell phone with me. About the only time I can't be reached is when I take the motorcycle to and from work, so about 30 minutes a day this time of year. I haven't found a Bluetooth device that will stay in my ear at 75-80 MPH so my managers know I can't answer the phone then.

I had this on my helmet. Can listen to music, talk with buddies if they have one in their helmet, answer the phone or make calls, etc.... Comes with speakers to install inside of the helmet, a microphone, and the Sena device that mounts to the helmet. Worth every penny.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette

I had this on my helmet. Can listen to music, talk with buddies if they have one in their helmet, answer the phone or make calls, etc.... Comes with speakers to install inside of the helmet, a microphone, and the Sena device that mounts to the helmet. Worth every penny.
    I already have a headset that fits inside my helmet for one of my ham radios. However, once the temperatures in the morning are consistently in the 60's or above, the helmet stays in the garage. Finding something to stay in my ear without the helmet is the problem.

And just for those who might be warming up their keyboards to preach about the importance of helmets and other safety gear, let me save you the trouble. I'm 58, steady smoker, about 5'7" and just above 100lbs on a good day. I've had 2 collapsed lungs and a fungal lung infection. The odds of me surviving a motorcycle accident on the interstate running 75-80 are slim to none with or without a helmet. So I might as well enjoy the rides the way I want.

yanmarguy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Bloomington
    Is this what has been causing problems with card machines and so forth that are down? For the last week, we had a bunch of gas stations and Starbucks and so on that were either partially shut down or some that we're even completely shut down because of it. Some didn't even give you the option of paying with cash. They just didn't open for business at all. Hard to believe a business would opt out of making any money just because of not having the ability to deal with paper currency.

Eric66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2024
    West Lafayette
    Is this what has been causing problems with card machines and so forth that are down? For the last week, we had a bunch of gas stations and Starbucks and so on that were either partially shut down or some that we're even completely shut down because of it. Some didn't even give you the option of paying with cash. They just didn't open for business at all. Hard to believe a business would opt out of making any money just because of not having the ability to deal with paper currency.
    Possibly, last I heard Delta was still struggling to find their pilots and cabin crews to get flights off the ground. Crowdstrike really did a number on their personnel tracking system.

As a side note, if a company chooses to be cashless, they deserve to be moneyless and out of business. As the Crowdstrike update showed, cards are not always going to be reliable or usable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Maybe this thread should be in the disaster and preparedness section?

Hanna Barron got trapped in Wisconsin at a show. Had to take a resourceful interesting route back to Alabam...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So far, there's been no loss of data, credentials, etc. I doubt Admin credentials for just one person is due to Crowstrike.

Crowstrike has only made Windows not boot. There are other things on the PC that are not happy though. The repeated crash reboots, either intentional or while trying to get into the Windows Recovery environment, has damaged some system files and triggered bitlocker problems for my employer (me, because I'm in IT). My week trying to fix this crap will probably be as bad as last week.

I'll give the Corporate guys some credit now, as their 3rd iteration of a USB PE boot stick is kick ass!

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    So far, there's been no loss of data, credentials, etc. I doubt Admin credentials for just one person is due to Crowstrike.

Crowstrike has only made Windows not boot. There are other things on the PC that are not happy though. The repeated crash reboots, either intentional or while trying to get into the Windows Recovery environment, has damaged some system files and triggered bitlocker problems for my employer (me, because I'm in IT). My week trying to fix this crap will probably be as bad as last week.

I'll give the Corporate guys some credit now, as their 3rd iteration of a USB PE boot stick is kick ass!
    My son can relate. This hit the company he works in IT for in his 3rd week there. After fixing dozens of corporate PC's he's a master at Windows recovery. But it definitely put the brakes on his training!

Top Bottom