• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Means less out here in the GSF, but I wonder if the people who build this stuff really understand what they have made completely. When it quits working they don't appear confident about cause or repairs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Means less out here in the GSF, but I wonder if the people who build this stuff really understand what they have made completely. When it quits working they don't appear confident about cause or repairs.
    The ability of tech support to troubleshoot and fix problems seems to shrink every day. I recently had an issue at work and finally “called“ in. They gave it a try but after they did everything I tried they threw their hands up and asked me if there’s anything else they could do to help me today.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You've got me beat by a year. I've been up since zero-dark thirty, I'm a little cranky.
    I hear ya. The whole "cloud" subject makes me cranky. We've recently started using OneDrive at work and it sucks hugely. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let multiple people edit a document simultaneously was an idiot. It's caused nothing but problems, especially with password protected documents. Never had that issue with a shared network drive.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I hear ya. The whole "cloud" subject makes me cranky. We've recently started using OneDrive at work and it sucks hugely. Whoever thought it was a good idea to let multiple people edit a document simultaneously was an idiot. It's caused nothing but problems, especially with password protected documents. Never had that issue with a shared network drive.
    I can agree with you on that note. Updating a OneDrive spreadsheet with 15 other people is a lesson in chaos.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    We've been using Microsoft things for about a year and a half now. We had to set up a stand alone I think they called it a NAS or something because when you reference files for Revit, the links have the user who last accessed it's name in the address (c:\..., whatever that's actually called, not a computer guy). When someone else tries to access it, it won't show up because the call address doesn't match. Hated Google just on principle, but at least we could all use the same set of files.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They implemented that crap at our plant this month. I am not a fan.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think they called it a NAS or something
    Network Attached Storage, nothing more than hard drives attached to the network.

Maybe this incident will cause the corporate types to reconsider use of the cloud and SAAS.

I’ve always wondered why any company would allow their data to reside anywhere not under their direct control (the cloud).

I am so glad I’m retired from this industry. Computers and software have evolved from doing the work for the users to just being moneymaking revenue machines for the software companies.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Network Attached Storage, nothing more than hard drives attached to the network.

Maybe this incident will cause the corporate types to reconsider use of the cloud and SAAS.

I’ve always wondered why any company would allow their data to reside anywhere not under their direct control (the cloud).
    Working for the .gov, I'm pretty certain that the right palms were greased to talk them into this crap.

Top Bottom