• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I'm looking for a new carry gun and can't seem to find anything that meets my criteria. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Here's the list:

• 3.5-3.6" Barrel
    • Chambered in 9mm
    • Single stack or < 1" OAW
    • ~12 Round Capacity (10 minimum)
    • No two-tone. All black
    • Enough grip for my pinky but no more. (3.125-3.25")
    • Preferrably DAO or DA/SA. No mechanical safety

The PF-9 and LC-9 are out. They are too small. I have a Sig P250 but the SC frame is too wide and the grip too short. I'm thinking a smaller Compact frame pistol but I don't have a broad knowledge on what is out there.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I dont know which one would meet all of your requirements so go to your LGS and handle all you can. Or sit on the computer looking at spec sheets but I'd go the LGS route.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Kel Tec P11 with +1 magazine mod, with pinky extension = 12 rounds of 'everything you asked for'

and it's inexpensive to boot:

not my pic, or my gun (mine is OD green w/ blued slide) but this one has pinky extension:

1_pistols_kel_tec_p11_49096.jpg

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm looking for a new carry gun and can't seem to find anything that meets my criteria. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.

Sorry, not physically possible. 10+ 9mm will not measure 3.25" or less in single stack. Double stack will not be 1" OAW. Decide which one you want and there will be a number of good suggestions.

Single stacks that meet all possible criteria will generally carry 7+1 rounds.
    Double stacks that meet all criteria (except width) will generally carry 10-12+1 rounds.

Also, you want mechanical safeties. For example, modern handguns have safeties that prevent the gun from firing if the trigger isn't pressed (if the gun is dropped). I believe you mean you don't want external safeties.

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Sorry, not physically possible. 10+ 9mm will not measure 3.25" or less in single stack. Double stack will not be 1" OAW. Decide which one you want and there will be a number of good suggestions.

Double stacks that meet all criteria (except width) will generally carry 10-12+1 rounds.

Also, you want mechanical safeties. For example, modern handguns have safeties that prevent the gun from firing if the trigger isn't pressed (if the gun is dropped). I believe you mean you don't want external safeties.

:yesway::ingo:

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I've done quite a bit of research and am not opposed to a double stack if it is sub 1" in width. I'm going to explore the Kel-Tec P-11 route. I think it's going to be a bit too small but I like the specifications. Another option is buying the SC 9mm caliber x-change kit for my P250. This would meet all requirements minus the target 1", coming in at 1.1".. BUT this option would render me without a designated home defense pistol.

I think I'm going to make a visit to ITP on Tuesday.. Does anyone know the extent of their rentable selection? I also checked their website and they don't mention carrying Kel-Tec in their Product Lines section.. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

My P11 is exactly 1" wide. It is double stack. I have the 12 round magazine (making it 12 + 1) with pinky extension.

Measuring from bottom of trigger guard to lower edge of pinky extension is 2.5 inches. Barrel length (IIRC) is 3.1"

Closest to meeting his criteria. Even the factory double stack magazine is 10 + 1.

I my P11 is my EDC and is extremely reliable. DAO with second strike capability (will fire if not completely in battery). No external safety, heavy (8.5 lb) trigger pull. No mag disconnect. Slide lock back after last round.

Drop test results for the P11:
    Drop Test

This link describes how he did the test, there's a link at the top to the results.

(I love this gun)

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I would look at the m&p 9c or the shield. The compact is a bit wider, but very concealable and very comfortable. This is my edc. The shield is narrower but has less capacity. I have never seen one but it sounds like a very nice edc. Either one is good, as are many other options. I suspect you will end up compromising on either width or capacity, double stack vs single stack goes with that. Next to impossible to get single stack with that capacity, so then you go double stack but then you can't get the width down. Pick 2.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    then you go double stack but then you can't get the width down. Pick 2.

Evidently you missed my post.

Factory mag it 10 + 1. By modifying the follower (or getting a different magazine) you can have 11+1 as well. All within his 1" width limitation.

(I really don't want to, but if I must, I can post pics of my gun w/ a ruler)

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    No need daddymikey1975! Like I said, I'm going to stop by ITP on Tuesday and do some perusing. You have me all but sold on the P-11. I still want to check out the M&P9c, Shield 9, and P250sc if available. I have no questions of reliability on any of them, I will just have to see what fits.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    No need daddymikey1975! Like I said, I'm going to stop by ITP on Tuesday and do some perusing. You have me all but sold on the P-11. I still want to check out the M&P9c, Shield 9, and P250sc if available. I have no questions of reliability on any of them, I will just have to see what fits.

:yesway::ingo:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Just a heads up, a kel tec does not have anywhere near the quality or reliability of an M&P in my experience and opinion.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012

Here's the list:

• 3.5-3.6" Barrel
    • Chambered in 9mm
    • No two-tone. All black
    • Preferrably DAO or DA/SA. No mechanical safety
    The PF-9 and LC-9 are out. They are too small. I have a Sig P250 but the SC frame is too wide and the grip too short. I'm thinking a smaller Compact frame pistol but I don't have a broad knowledge on what is out there.

Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Walther PPS 9mm is available with an 8 (+1) mag. The normal mag holds 7 (+1). I rented one to shoot at Indy Trading Post. Nice pistol.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Glock 19 Gen4
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm
    Glock 26 Gen4
    Kahr PM9
    Kahr CW9
    Kahr CM9
    Sig Sauer P938

This is a list of firearms that I have owned (and/or) shot extensively, and would (and do) trust my life to every single day.

It is a short list of the ones that I trust, the list of ones I do not is considerably longer. I would not hesitate to put anyone of these in the hands of a loved one.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just a heads up, a kel tec does not have anywhere near the quality or reliability of an M&P in my experience and opinion.

Some Kel-tecs do have reliability issues. Others are great. My pf-9 has about 600 rounds through it over 2 years. No Ftf/ Fte etc. If you go this route, put at least 250 rounds through it to make sure its a good one. Then run 50-100 rounds of your carry ammo too just to be positive.

Top Bottom