• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I shoot a custom 10/22 with a bull barrel. Aquila 22 hyper velocity ammo. It's almost twice ft./lbs of energy than a standard hollow point. With a shepherd scope. For my dollar, the scope is the best available for a 22. It has all the ranging made in the scope with bullet drop. I can hit hedge apples consistent at 300 yards with it. So far all of the coyotes I have shot with it, the bullet has gone clear through both sides. did not hit any bones I guess. They all died within a couple of minutes. But like a deer, if he falls, don't chase after for a few minutes. Give him time to bleed out. Or you will wind up chasing a blood trail.

Last edited:

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I shoot a custom 10/22 with a bull barrel. Aquila 22 hyper velocity ammo. It's almost twice ft./lbs of energy than a standard hollow point. With a shepherd scope. For my dollar, the scope is the best available for a 22. It has all the ranging made in the scope with bullet drop. I can hit hedge apples consistent at 300 yards with it. So far all of the coyotes I have shot with it, the bullet has gone clear through both sides. did not hit any bones I guess. They all died within a couple of minutes. But like a deer, if he falls, don't chase after for a few minutes. Give him time to bleed out. Or you will wind up chasing a blood trail.

This ammo? AMM-065 - Ammo .22 Aquila Interceptor 1470 Feet Per Second 40 Grain Copper Plated Solid Point 500 Round Brick

Stock BB or aftermarket? Custom 10/22 (Are you saying custom stock or custom receiver, custom trigger, a little more details would be very nice)?

I have a 10/22 and I'm pretty confident that I COULDN'T make a knat whistle dixie at 200yds. So some input would be nice. I'm on the standard barrel with a aftermarket trigger,Bi-pod, WalMart ($69.xx) scope. Just now getting my breathing down. I can stand 50 yds and pick walnuts off a tree or even split them (shoot between 2 walnuts and knock them down) hell even 3 split. But from my research and others the drop on .22lr is pretty great. Not calling BS just want to up my chances and have all the necessary things so that I know the limit is myself and not the weapon. Although the limitation as it sets now is mainly me :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I see a few around me and would like to get into hunting them. The best rifles I have for it would be a Varmint 223 AR and a Remington 700 in 25/06. Does anyone make a good night vision scope that won't break the bank and will work for yotes?

As for callers, is it pretty much impossible to hunt without one? I don't have much patience so I'll probably need to get one. I'm getting ready to put up a house in 17 acres of woods. I'd like to be able to bait them and sit in the house and wait.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    DSC00812.jpg

Here is the picture of the 10/22. It has a Shileen barrel, Volquartsen trigger, and it's stock has been bedded. A lot of 22 will shoot very tight groups. I always use shooting sticks, since I cannot hold zero very well the older I get. The sticks make a huge difference at distance shots. I believe the trick is the Shepherd scope with the circles in it. Here is the scope link.
    https://tp-commerce.techpro.com/shepherdscopes/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=1&cat=Scopes
    I would like to have a 25-06 rifle. Just hunted with one for the first time a few weeks ago. Very nice caliber. I'd like to see more of them. It ought to be more common.
    Yes, a caller is a must if you cannot use mouth calls. Everyone educates a few coyotes before getting the calls right. Then a lot of guys get the shakes like buck fever when they first get one in there sights, or shoot way to far away and forget that he is coming after you call. I only shoot distance shots when all else has failed to get one any closer.

Last edited:

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    25-06 sound good to me to.I had a friend that hunted with one a couple years ago and that thing stoped them in there tracks.and was hard on pelts and ears.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Rem1100,
    I prefer the 243wssm in the AR. But at times I hunt almost on the city/county line, with houses pretty close. That's when I switch to the 22lr

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I've been out twice hunting in Shelby county in the last few days. They have been moving pretty good. I haven't had any luck getting them to respond to the call though. I took my brother out for his first time coyote hunting and he barely missed a good size one at about 400 yards.

IndianaCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Indy-Southside
    I plan on coyote hunting tomorrow in southern Shelby County. I've seen more coyote this year than deer. Seems like they come right up to me and on more than one occasion I could have shot a coyote with my slug gun from about 20 yards.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    does anybody on here use a mini 14 for them? I'm debating on buying one but dont know much about them, I was always told bolt actions are more accurate the semi's, can anybody help me out,

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    does anybody on here use a mini 14 for them? I'm debating on buying one but dont know much about them, I was always told bolt actions are more accurate the semi's, can anybody help me out,
    mini 14 are not well known for accuracy if you want a simi build an AR 15 with quality 20in upper. the extra money you spend will be well worth.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana

Nothing wrong with a mini for upclose work in brush, but they, from my experience, can't compete with a good bolt gun. Another great option is the ar. best of both worlds. quick follow up, and can be built to be just as accurate as a bolt gun.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    picture.php

this is one i got last sunday flipped it over so it looked better. 25-06 makes a big hole even with 75gr. v-max.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom