• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Last winter on the back of my place coyotes were taking muskrats out of my trap line in broad daylight - lost a couple of conibears to them.

After I saw eleven cross the creek one evening that sealed the deal and I began to thin the herd. Will see about taking some pix...

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here's a small one from today. 75 yards with my AR.

Finally had my first miss with that gun. 3 hours later and 50 yards further out from the first one. He stopped behind a big weed and I shot anyway. He jumped a mile high and took off, but I didn't see any blood.
    Shot another coyote about a month ago, but he crawled into the corn field and I wasn't going in after him.

11-sep-10-coyote-001.jpg

11-sep-10-coyote-002.jpg

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    This was during deer season in Wabash Co. around 1992. This is my best friend, an life long hunting, trapping an fishing partner. He shot these while hunting from a deer stand, I heard him shoot an then 3 min. later shoot again....He said they came in close an he shot the biggest one first, the second ran....he whistled an after awhile it came right back to the dead coyote an he plugged it too. My Best Friend Mark, passed away an went to be with the Lord on Dec.25th, 2004......man, I sure do miss you Mark.

picture.php

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    In the same year as above post, 1992, I was deer hunting from a stand. I saw this coyote trot through the woods an gp behind a big oak. He appeared on the otherside at the base an curled up an went to sleep. I was watching him through my scope at about 125 yds. away, it had been a very rainy night an a light mist was beginning to finally stop. I had a ideal....I got down from my stand an was below the sight of the coyote, I made a long semi-circle stalk keeping the big oak between me an the coyote. 30 mins. later I approached the back of the tree, heart beating an kinda laughing to myself, it had been a very quiet stalk but would the sleeping coyote be there??? I pushed the safety off on the my Mossberg 500, eased around the leftside of the tree with the muzzle down an in front of me, step by step, on the last step as I swung around there I was over the coyote, the muzzle only about 10 in. from the top of its head. It was curled up with its head an face down an facing me, as I began to squeeze the trigger I heard a little voice say..."Dave, hang on, whats the rush, watch it for a little while, if he wakes up you can always pull the trigger then.".....like the BONEHEAD that I am, I listened.....My heart was beating so hard I couldn't believe the coyote couldn't hear it, an I was on the verge of cracking up laughing for some reason. I watched the coyote breathe, an its radar ear moving every now an then for what seemed like a full min or two....Then the ears started moving really fast an its eyes opened, then with out moving its head it looked up an into the barrel of my shotgun..its dime size eyes grew to the size of quarters...I went to pull the trigger but at 20,000 mph the coyote was gone!!!!! I heard the little voice now say.."O Crap!!!!!" I had to swing around to the otherside of the tree bringing up the shotgun the coyote turned left an started down the wooded hill, I instictively brought up the crosshairs an when they saw fur fired..the 12 ga. 1 oz. foster slug slammed into the coyote an sent him flipping, stopping him about 50 yds away....I couldn't believe what had just happened!!! When I got to him it looked like a axe had split his head in half, the slug hit the back of the head an split it in half exiting between the eyes. I took one ear an then the other an put them together to make one head...then snap a picture of myself with my camera on self timer from a fork in a tree....No one is going to believe this!!!! But my Dad an best friend Mark did...I'm sure glad I killed that coyote, if after all that I had missed an he got away...I would of felt like qaurterback Fran Tarkington of the Vikings after 3 Superbowl losses...it would of haunted me forever!!!!!!!!

picture.php

Last edited:

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've seen 4 more in the last few days.
    The only one I managed to get sights on was running down a ridge.:xmad:
    He finally stopped down in a valley about 400 yards away. Too far to take a confident shot. They always seem to stop in that area, so maybe I need to do some practice at that range.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    So I know there is a "coyote season" but what if they are breaking into my Moms chicken coops on her 3 acres out in the country? Can't I just setup one night on the roof of her barn with some NV gear and light em up?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Yes there is a season, but if they are doing damage, an they are, you can kill them out of season.....I'm not DNR, so I'm not sure if you have to report it to the DNR or not?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Last I was aware "varmits" were legal year round, any equipment, any time of day, no limit, IF you are on your own property or private property with permission. If you're not trapping coyotes, they're varmits.

I just looked at the DNr regs for this season but can't find it, if anyone can show me where they changed it, please let me know!

And...
    Anyone had any luck with coyotes around Jennings county? We haven't heard many in deer season the last 2 or 3 years...

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Last night

Had a fun night out coyote hunting with a friend in Boone Co. Could not get any to come into the fox pro, but had three come running full bore at us from about 300 yds with some lip squeaks. Two out of three ain't too bad. We had to stop with with a bark at about 30yds or I think we would have gotten run over:):
    jeffyote9-18.jpg

evilblackrifle

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Portage, IN
    Newbie coyote hunting

Hey guys:

Man, I love this forum!!! Such great people here. After seeing this thread, I just have to ask...Is there any possible way I can get in on a coyote hunt with someone on here? I'm in NW Indiana, but can do a drive to your location with some lead time. Please feel free to PM me on here...Thanks fellas.

Erick

PS-New to INGO...thanks for the warm welcome! Lots of nice people here.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    As I will tell the students in the Hunter Ed class today who are looking for a place to hunt, is there a "feed mill" close to where you live? They usually have a bulletin board where customers [buy your bird seed there also] can post a buy or sell notice. Put up a 3,5 card with your name and phone number up, stating your wants [coyote killing] and that you are willing to work during off seasons for the privilege. Most farmers will highly appreciate the offer, and once they get to know you, other forms of hunting will fall in line. It's like looking for a job, keep at it, work at it, and the rewards are worth it.

Tenring
    How often do you do hunter ed classes? I would like to get my son enrolled in one.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i was actually getting a drop chart at 550 or 600 with that rifle and this coyote stepped out on the range at just shy of 300. i didn't have time to range so i just spun the turret close and shot

Top Bottom