• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Think of it as hull integrity. If you remove a plank below the waterline, the ship may sink. Whether it requires 100% of the ocean to do that seems irrelevant.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    So in other words you're saying that nearly 100% of particles will be breathed in? Do you have some studies for that?

Here ya go...

pullitout.gif

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Yeah. Somehow I don't recall ever hearing of people snorting those particles through any form of mask.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I know one thing for sure. If you have ever, ever sanded drywall you will figure out how to wear a mask correctly! That drywall dust will get into anything, makes the covid look like an amateur!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    More credible than your obvious ploy.

Ploy? Is that all you thought about it? You couldn’t imagine that question being anything but a ploy?

He said almost zero. Okay so let’s help your imagination out a bit. A filter should prevent particles from getting through compared to what would have gone through without the filter. That’s the comparison for efficiency, not all the particles there are. So comparing it to an ocean would be kinda silly. Unless of course you took what I said at the most superficial level.

So said another way, if a mask provided nearly zero filtering, you’re also saying that it’s nearly as if you’re not wearing any mask at all. So, with a mask as Chip describes the way I restated the same thing was it’s letting in nearly all of the particles in. Because we’re talking about efficiency, the denominator is not all the particles there are. It’s what it would have been with no mask.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know one thing for sure. If you have ever, ever sanded drywall you will figure out how to wear a mask correctly! That drywall dust will get into anything, makes the covid look like an amateur!
    Yep. That stuff gets everywhere.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The instant I read "expected" I knew it had to do with modelling and from this thread I know not to trust models so I immediately dismissed what he had to say.

I kinda hoped my post about expected mortality vs mortality from covid might detract from lettuce talk

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Something interesting has happened the past couple of days regarding the testing data from Washington DC. Their last reporting information showed over 9000 tests with 73 positives (May 21) which is a dramatic drop in positive tests. They have now changed the number of tests since then to "Under Review". https://coronavirus.dc.gov/page/coronavirus-data

Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm guessing the total risk of death is additive so for someone 35 years old the normal risk would be 0.1% and another 0.1% from getting the chinese virus for a total risk of 0.2% and for someone 85 years old the normal risk would be 10% and another 10% from getting the chinese virus for a total risk of 20%.[

QUOTE=hoosierdoc;8311949][/QUOTE]

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Moving further away from Judeo-Christian values (take care of the poor, elderly, sick, orphans) which framed the constitution according to conservatives of the past towards conservatives favoring the economics as their god.

https://discoversociety.org/2020/04...pulation-in-conservative-pandemic-governance/

Back in the 1920s, Raymond Pearl developed an approach to population calculation which, despite his original training at the Galton Laboratory at UCL, he distinguished from the dominant eugenic thinking of the time. Dispensing with the central concern for hereditary ‘racial’ traits, his approach presented ‘population’ and ‘economy’ as experimental objects which could be adjusted in relation to one another by means of state technologies. Those rigid Malthusian rules of production and population, in other words, were recast as adjustable through governance. This shift in the means of calculation represented what Michelle Murphy (2017) calls the economisation of life which “names the practices that differentially value and govern life in terms of their ability to foster the macroeconomy of the nation-state”.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom