• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What is common sense is constantly changing as the common man is constantly changing. Common sense in 1970 is not subsumed within the common sense in 2020.

That, while not self-proving, is universally true.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What is common sense is constantly changing as the common man is constantly changing. Common sense in 1970 is not subsumed within the common sense in 2020.

That, while not self-proving, is universally true.

I'd agree with that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This would all assume that PPE is being donned and doffed appropriately, correct handwashing procedures, etc etc.

Healthcare facilities are dirty, including ambulances and dialysis centers. There is also a much higher likelihood that it was transmitted from a surface and not by droplets. I wouldnt put much thought into it, touching a surface and touching your face has a much higher liklihood of transmission than droplets.

Actually the CDC recently revised their guidelines around preventing the spread of the virus. It is possible to spread via contact with surfaces, but this is not the primary way it spreads.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

The virus does not spread easily in other ways

COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads.

From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Tautology - Noun, the study of the tension on a line, rope, or cable. ex. "Do the tautology on that cable to see if we need to tighten it."

:rofl:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Doug again.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Top Golf opens and Top Golf closes, lol. Excise says Indiana state department of health told them to shut them down and the ISDH says they don't know anything about it? Excise wouldn't comment and referred journalists to the Joint Information Center, whatever nebulous organization that is. Seems about the level of communication you'd expect from the bureaucracy. Top Golf is interesting in that I guess whether it opens depends on how you define it. If it's an entertainment facility and a bar they likely opened too early, i've never been there so I don't know what it's like.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...HID2Rn_Zu0vyfik0EkILLB5MyBWEL-kXDP68pu4cgn8HI

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    To be sure. But those working in those facilities are using masks as good, or better that the ones that citizens are being encouraged to wear. If the virus can be transmitted by healthcare workers using medical grade PPE, then how effective can those same masks (or even homemade masks) be in preventing transmission of the virus to us?

I can assure you that the nursing homes DO NOT use anything better than John Citizen; at times it may be the exact opposite.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Uh. Yes. It is. The sense that is common is literally common. That's a tautology. It's wisdom that is not common.

I am going to have to go with Einstein on common sense. "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Most examples of common sense really are not all that common.Yes a few moral ones,but even those are environmental.
    Just a few examples.Most of us know a firearm will not discharge by itself,common sense right? Not if you have never been exposed to the operation of a firearm.

Ask a person living in a gang city if you should wear the color blue in Bloods territory,it is common sense.Not if you have never been exposed to gang culture though.

Even moral examples fail to really provide any common sense because your morals are based on how you where raised,what religion,your environment,and what type of family unit you have.For example a Methodist raised in small town USA by both parents will have a very different idea about stealing than a homeless kid with a mother strung out on meth raised on the streets of say Chicago.

The reason common sense is not common is that it really is just your life experience and lessons you learned along the way.As less people share a similar set of experiences and lessons your view of common sense will indeed be less common.

It is common sense to me if you plant a potato,in 120 days you can dig up a bunch of them.Wash and slice them.Heat oil to 350 degrees and drop the slices in for 4-5 minutes(until golden brown)and you have a plate full of French fries.I doubt that is actual common sense though.
    IE Einstein is correct.

Back to the topic.
    https://newsroom.uw.edu/news/antibody-neutralizes-sars-and-covid-19-coronaviruses
    [h=1]Antibody neutralizes SARS and COVID-19 coronaviruses[/h]
    [FONT=&quot]An antibody first identified in a blood sample from a patient who recovered from Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome in 2003 inhibits related coronaviruses, including the cause of COVID-19. The antibody, called S309, is now on a fast-track development and testing path at Vir Biotechnology in the next step toward possible clinical trials. [/FONT]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am going to have to go with Einstein on common sense. "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Most examples of common sense really are not all that common.Yes a few moral ones,but even those are environmental.
    Just a few examples.Most of us know a firearm will not discharge by itself,common sense right? Not if you have never been exposed to the operation of a firearm.

Ask a person living in a gang city if you should wear the color blue in Bloods territory,it is common sense.Not if you have never been exposed to gang culture though.

Even moral examples fail to really provide any common sense because your morals are based on how you where raised,what religion,your environment,and what type of family unit you have.For example a Methodist raised in small town USA by both parents will have a very different idea about stealing than a homeless kid with a mother strung out on meth raised on the streets of say Chicago.

The reason common sense is not common is that it really is just your life experience and lessons you learned along the way.As less people share a similar set of experiences and lessons your view of common sense will indeed be less common.

It is common sense to me if you plant a potato,in 120 days you can dig up a bunch of them.Wash and slice them.Heat oil to 350 degrees and drop the slices in for 4-5 minutes(until golden brown)and you have a plate full of French fries.I doubt that is actual common sense though.
    IE Einstein is correct.

Saying "common" sense isn't the same thing as saying "universal" sense. It's what's common to a region, culture, or whatever context is the subject. People do confuse common sense with wisdom.

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US

GMediC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    US
    Is it possible that the PPE application is actually better outside the nursing home?
    Probably. Someone asked me recently why I thought for profit nursing facilities needed government assistance getting PPE.

My opinions is, that it was less about government money, and more about government supply lines. Ive never seen anything beyond gloves and a surgical mask used at a nursing home prior to this. I doubt they ever had anything more than that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom