Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I quests we will just have to disagree. Do you not see historically that the polarization of the last 50 years is far beyond any partisanship of the 50 years before it? We are now at a point that to approve judges, that years of precedent had to be scrapped because a 60% majority could not be had.

Exactly right. They don't evaluate a judge anymore on whether or not he is a good judicial practitioner but whether he leans left or right politically. That is sick.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I quests we will just have to disagree. Do you not see historically that the polarization of the last 50 years is far beyond any partisanship of the 50 years before it?

No. I'd say the polarization of the last 15 or so is worse than the prior 25. I don't remember the Vietnam years, but I would say politics then was more polarized than now. I don't see the National Guard deployed to any demonstrations/schools.

But, the path to where we are now in terms of government authority - which is the conversation I thought we were having - goes back to the New Deal.

There probably is a link between that and polarization. Maybe. But since people on both sides of the aisle welcomed the changes that fostered more gov't authority, I don't think that lends itself to a calculus of polarization.

We are now at a point that to approve judges, that years of precedent had to be scrapped because a 60% majority could not be had.
    Well, that shifts to a discussion of the direct election of senators... which has been a failed experiment that we can't really correct.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No. I'd say the polarization of the last 15 or so is worse than the prior 25. I don't remember the Vietnam years, but I would say politics then was more polarized than now. I don't see the National Guard deployed to any demonstrations/schools.

I don't think the Vietnam situation was as political as it was anti-war.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    All I know is that I just got a haircut. So life has officially returned to normal for me.:rockwoot:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't think the Vietnam situation was as political as it was anti-war.

Well, Vietnam was absolutely a political issue, but I intended "Vietnam years" to generally describe all the polarization (polarity?) from the early 60s to mid 70s.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Well, Vietnam was absolutely a political issue, but I intended "Vietnam years" to generally describe all the polarization (polarity?) from the early 60s to mid 70s.

Yes, it was political but it wasn't left ideology vs right ideology like the main division is today. The left leaning LBJ expanded the war in Vietnam more than anybody and there were many left leaning students and many right leaning students protesting the war. It was political but it was more about whether we should be there or not and it was about old men sending young men to fight and die. The political parties were not the main focus. Peace on.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have noted this a few times, I am relieved that C-19 is such a nothingburger that we have converted its thread to general political discussion.

Hoorah...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have noted this a few times, I am relieved that C-19 is such a nothingburger that we have converted its thread to general political discussion.

Hoorah...

Premature derailization speculation. ;) I'm letting it drop. :)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    If you own a business you may want to head over to the Federal reserve bank of New York. Minimum loan is $500,000. First year interest is waved,after the first year the interest rate is LIBOR +3%. I doubt any business will get lower rates on a loan,even the SBA loans can not compete.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/monetary20200430a.htm

You can contact them at mslp@bos.frb.org to get your application or look for an eligible lender https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/files/monetary20200430a1.pdf

More about the program(s) here https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/mainstreetlending.htm

I do not approve of most programs from the fed(or the fed itself),but since the programs are there I thought it wise to share them for people who own businesses.

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have watched a clip of Boomers having the current generation trying to operate a rotary dial phone without directions. As a Boomer I remember being taught to use the phone. My instructor even explained the nuances of a party line. I was shown the switch-boards and the operators. I am not saddened to see the kids failing. I am saddened watching the Boomers laughing at ignorance they could solve. I see this in all aspects of our society. We Boomers have failed. We farmed out generation after generation to a government to educate. Education determines the future 100 to 200 years out or the lack of it.

It's not that we have failed. It is their own wrongful belief that they know it all and do not need any input or help from their elders.

Today's generation has their collective noses stuck to the screen of either their Iphone or Android, worried about how much of a social footprint they imprint on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the rest of the media
    formats. They are to busy living in the exact second in their lives to realize that learning about things from our past affects our present and future.

It is not the failure of our older generation, it is the failure of the younger generation for not being students of history, because it does repeat itself, just in a modern form.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    It is their own wrongful belief that they know it all and do not need any input or help from their elders.

Said every generation about every younger generation.

The root of the problems remains constant - human nature. The actual problems change with the times, and so do the solutions.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    ingo.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom