• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some have asked why this remedy would work. You need to look up cytokine storm. If this flu causes this then it could be effective. Some debate on if u need the PPI. You are trying to stop the bodies allergic reaction. That's what u need the benadryl. just read and u decide. I am not a medical person and all is for entertainment purposes.

Well, from the limited research I've done, playing with meds may or may not do anything, and may help or harm an infection. The article at the end gives sound advice, “If you are sick enough to be in a hospital and you have a fever, you should get a serum ferritin. It typically comes back in less than 24 hours and almost every hospital can do it, and if it’s high you can work them up for cytokine storm syndrome.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294426/#__sec21title

In simple terms, it is likely that during a severe acute infection, certain elements of the immune response need enhancing at times and need suppressing at other times. What is required of the immune system early in the infection, when the pathogen is dividing rapidly and reaching high infectious loads, may be very different from what is needed later, possibly only a few hours later, when either the pathogen is at steady state or the pathogen load is falling due to either the effects of appropriate antimicrobial therapy or the clearance of the pathogen by the immune response. Treating patients with the “right” immunomodulating drug but at the “wrong” time could worsen the clinical outcome. We still do not understand the delicate nature of this rapidly changing immune response, and until we do, it is unlikely that we will develop rational therapies that target the exact phase of the immune cascade and administer those therapies at the time they are needed. It might be that within the long list of adjunct interventions that have been tried in acute severe infections, therapies exist that would be successful if only the immune dynamic were understood so that they could be used at the right time and their pharmacological profile fit the need for a potentially short-acting drug. We know that individuals respond differently to infection and that individual responses to antibiotics and adjunct therapies also vary (141). These variations in host response are likely to be complex and controlled by host and pathogen genetic determinants as well as by the immune memory of each individual.

https://www.getscience.com/biology-...kine-storm-when-your-immune-system-too-strong

Ironically, in most cases, it is the strength of their immune response that can put a healthy person at risk for complications associated with the flu. While most of the time a strong immune system is key to keeping an infection in check, sometimes the body’s reaction to being infected with the flu presents the greatest danger to an otherwise healthy person. “A cytokine storm is generally what leads to otherwise healthy young people dying of the flu,” says David Martin, Senior Medical Director at Pfizer. “We saw that in the flu pandemic that happened at the end of World War I and we’re still seeing it today.”

However, currently there are still no “gold standard” therapies for combatting the excessive production of cytokines. That means healthy people still need to wash their hands, get their flu shots and set a good example by staying home when sick. After all, a strong immune system doesn’t always protect you from the worst aspects of the flu.

https://www.uab.edu/reporter/know-m...k-for-stopping-deadly-cytokine-storm-syndrome

A cheap, simple test, widely available at most hospitals in the United States and worldwide, can help diagnose cytokine storm syndrome, Cron said. “A protein called serum ferritin tends to get very high in this disorder,” he said. “If you are sick enough to be in a hospital and you have a fever, you should get a serum ferritin. It typically comes back in less than 24 hours and almost every hospital can do it, and if it’s high you can work them up for cytokine storm syndrome.”At Cron’s urging, the ICU at Children’s Hospital recently added serum ferritin screens to its routine procedures. “The day after we did that we identified a patient and we’ve had three kids in the last couple of months that we’ve identified,” Cron said.
    Cron hopes that “Cytokine Storm Syndrome” will help spread this life-saving knowledge more widely in the medical profession. “We have this thing in medicine called Occam’s Razor, which encourages us to gather the data and come up with one unifying diagnosis for what’s going on,” Cron said. “But this is the opposite — you can have juvenile arthritis, or lupus or T-cell leukemia, and then you have cytokine storm syndrome on top of that. And if you don’t treat the cytokine storm syndrome directly, patients can die.
    “If we get to the point where people know about it and don’t have to call me to find out, that would be success.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    To put this in perspective... over 8,000 people have died from the regular ol' flu this flu season so far. Less than 200 have died from the coronavirus so far, and most of those are in China. :dunno: Y'all have fun with your masks and goggles. I'm gonna continue to pee on my hands and dry them in the dirt (that's for IngoMike). :):

The infection rate for the flu doesn't look like a hockey stick on a graph. It's not time to panic though. It's still way less likely that anyone in the US will get this virus than the influenza that's been going around. I haven't bought any filters.

But I do wash my hands after I pee. And no offense. If we ever meet I'll greet you well, but I'm not shaking your hand.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm gonna continue to pee on my hands...

Ron Perlman, is that you? :)

DglomfoUcAACdj6.jpg

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Well, from the limited research I've done, playing with meds may or may not do anything, and may help or harm an infection. The article at the end gives sound advice, “If you are sick enough to be in a hospital and you have a fever, you should get a serum ferritin. It typically comes back in less than 24 hours and almost every hospital can do it, and if it’s high you can work them up for cytokine storm syndrome.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294426/#__sec21title

https://www.getscience.com/biology-...kine-storm-when-your-immune-system-too-strong

https://www.uab.edu/reporter/know-m...k-for-stopping-deadly-cytokine-storm-syndrome

I agree with everything u posted here. The problem becomes if there is a real pandemic the expectation of a 24 hr serum ferritin would be zero. Hospitals would be overwhelmed. you would be basically on your own. Too many variables to make a call now. But yes the safest way would be to go to the hospital if that option is available.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    N95 respirators filter out most airborne particles from the surrounding air, preventing wearers from breathing in particles down to 0.3 microns in diameter. These types of masks are often used when air quality is poor due to wildfire smoke or pollution, and they're designed to fit tightly against one's face. However, the coronavirus measures 0.12 microns in diameter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-face-masks-not-entirely-effective-2020-1

Perhaps, but how big are the droplets expelled by coughing or sneezing?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is a good time to mention....

A fragrance from.... lets say a flower, are small molecule sized particles that comes straight off the flower and float through the air and then go right up into your nose. So, parts of that flower are actually up inside your nose.

Think about that for a minute.......

It's the same process with everything else we smell.....

Skunks
    Dirty Socks
    Barf
    Wet Dog
    Rotten Food
    Dead Animals

You get the picture....

And FARTS.
    An actual particle that came out of someone else's butt just went up your nose. :):

Coronavirus might bring some truth to the term- Silent But Deadly.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Who else thinks the truth about all this isn't being told??

Is an approximate 2.5 % mortality rate cause for this much concern?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51318246

Coronavirus has been declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread outside China."The main reason for this declaration is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries," said WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus.
    The concern is that it could spread to countries with weaker health systems.
    The death toll is now at 170 in China.
    The WHO said there had been 98 cases in 18 countries outside of China, but no deaths.
    There have been eight cases of human-to-human infection - in Germany, Japan, Vietnam and the United States.
    Dr Ghebreyesus, speaking at the press conference in Geneva, described coronavirus as an "unprecedented outbreak" that has been met with an "unprecedented response".
    He praised China's "extraordinary measures" taken to prevent it from spreading.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    N95 respirators filter out most airborne particles from the surrounding air, preventing wearers from breathing in particles down to 0.3 microns in diameter. These types of masks are often used when air quality is poor due to wildfire smoke or pollution, and they're designed to fit tightly against one's face. However, the coronavirus measures 0.12 microns in diameter.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-face-masks-not-entirely-effective-2020-1

It's been posted on this thread you want to really be safe you need a full face mask P100 level or a death star to nuke it from orbit.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Confirmed coronavirus cases:

- China
    - United States
    - France
    - Japan
    - South Korea
    - Taiwan
    - Singapore
    - Thailand
    - Australia
    - Nepal
    - Vietnam
    - Hong Kong
    - Macau
    - Malaysia
    - Canada
    - Cambodia
    - Sri Lanka
    - Germany
    - UAE
    - India
    - Philippines
    - Finland

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The infection rate for the flu doesn't look like a hockey stick on a graph. It's not time to panic though. It's still way less likely that anyone in the US will get this virus than the influenza that's been going around. I haven't bought any filters.

But I do wash my hands after I pee. And no offense. If we ever meet I'll greet you well, but I'm not shaking your hand.

I don't actually pee on my hands. :): But seriously, ask Rick about his "aging" methods when he wants to make a newer gun look old (I think it was back when he was doing re-enactments).

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I think people are misunderstanding the use of filters here. The virology text in my office library has a chapter on coronaviruses. The virus itself is very small, but it is an enveloped virus, meaning it has some of the cell wall of its host on the outside. This type of virus does not survive long outside of the host and host secretions (droplets) - a number of environmental factor kill it quickly with no droplet protection. So it is mainly the droplets (much larger than the virions) that the filters are aimed at. If you can keep it out of your respiratory tract, eyes and broken skin, you should be OK.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom