• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I'm going contrarian here. What is going on here is life and people acting like, well, people. We are not going all FB and have "trusted sources" only, we are big boys and girls we can handle it all here. That said I am growing weary of all the posts here and other places, texts, emails, etc. that are written as femurphy77's post reads. I couldn't care less about a communication of that sort that stimulates your biases...

So let's discuss this serious issue and have some fun, life is to short to miss a single laugh or not to share camaraderie...

INGO is entertaining and I have, do and will learn a lot here, but it's not a trusted source, even though there are people here that I trust.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

This is a spot on question! We must decide that these mandatory closings will end - and that right quick!

The forced/intimidated closings are going to kill people on their own! When all of the restaurants close down we lose, directly, about 300,000 jobs! This is a basic Google search of restaurant workers in Indiana. This is a third of a million people without a paycheck right now. With the restaurants closing alone this is over 12,000 businesses not getting revenue and soon not able to pay back loans, utilities, etc. They have an average $12.8 billion in sales that is being denied sales tax to local governments.

But wait, there's more. When the restaurants close they stop ordering food, napkins, condiments, etc. This backs up to restaurant vendors that now are taking a hit. They're now sitting on tons of food that will go bad. They will also stop ordering a lot of fish, crab, lobster etc because they have nowhere to sell it. Now the crab or lobster boat captains have lost revenue streams that may cause them to fall behind on bills and lay off their workers. So the restaurants closing in Indiana will impact many coastal towns in Maine, Alaska and other strong fishing places. I pick on these foods in particular because while many people may order them in a restaurant they don't cook them in their own homes. Truck drivers who normally haul this stuff will be hauling less.

The entire supply chain for this one industry alone will cost tens of billions of dollars to the economy. Even the food industry in general will suffer because while many of us may cook similar foods at home with reduced or unstable incomes we will order less.

We are now listening ONLY to pathologists, epidemiologists, virologists, the medical profession. This is important but must be balanced with economics. Why? Because when we cause this much disruption people will die from causes other than disease. People unable to pay bills may commit suicide. People will go homeless. The deaths caused by economic collapse could possibly exceed deaths caused by Covid-19! Not in a week, not in two, but in the long run most definitely. A good leader will of course listen to the medical profession, but not to the exclusion of all other areas of expertise. There must be a balance between concern for health due to disease and concern for health due to economic stress. Economic stress causes emotional stress, which then weakens the immune system and allows us to become vulnerable to a host of other pathogens. It can create a self fulfilling prophecy.

The deaths of which I speak from economic stress will not occur in a week or even two, but how many monthes can people and businesses endure this kind of hardship? And when the businesses go under there will be no one left to employ people once the medical threat is diminished. So congratulations, we're off of lockdown, but there's no work to go back to because a percentage of businesses collapsed.

So this question is extremely important, because at some stage we must accept that the risk of contracting Covid-19 is acceptable when compared to the risk of an entire economic collapse.

Regards,

Doug

Restaurant food suppliers will redirect to Grocery outlets. USFD said as much on CNBC

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Psychologically no. We THINK we are actually helping by raising awareness.

You’re probably right. I did actually look through a lot of things smokingman posted. Some of it seemed logical, and some of it seemed like poorly drawn conclusions. At least there was a source and you could decide it’s validity for yourself. The random “I know a dude who has connections who told me” stuff is the problem. The greatest problems we are currently seeing are people overreacting and assuming the worst. The least we can do is not add to the panic with secret squirrel doomsday messages with not source to vet. This is a serious situation but even the mostly highly-respected epidemiologists are saying it isn’t the end of mankind. It’ll take a while, but we will get it under control. Make smart decisions and help your fellow man until then.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Aren't we overreacting to this?

I mean didn't the H1N1 kill millions of people and we didn't freak out .

What makes this time SO much more scary than the regular flu season?

I think we were too preoccupied with the great recession. Now it's the other way around.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The way it’s being reported.

It's also a macro scale versus micro scale issue. There is plenty of stuff out there but if you're the person that can't find a roll of toilet paper or can of food then to you it's a real crisis.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if Indiana (or anyone else for that matter,) breaks down the amount of tests run with the positive and negative results?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capture.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sen-rand-paul-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    maybe we should have a separate thread for rich and famous test results!

It could get longer than this one and be even less relevant!

This is in no way meant to be interpreted as an attempt to censor your posting such things in this thread.

I think it's relevant when it's a US Senator. Not so much when it's the Hollywood crew.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just wanted to add, this is the last time I even look at this particular thread. I just cannot anymore. Make up your own minds and pay your own consequences.

I have extended family and immediate family who are nurses on the front lines of this. Intake, pre-ICU non-confirmed care and coronavirus ICU ventilator care.

One is a Chicago ER nurse who's spent years working gunshot cases. This has her shaken to her core. She comes home, vomits, and cries until she can fall asleep, gets what rest she can, then goes in again the next day.

To those of you who think this is "just the flu", you cannot be more wrong.

I cannot talk to my nursing daughter and nieces about this because my advice to them would be "go home, keep yourself and you families safe, and let all the dumb-asses who didn't listen just die."

But they won't, it's not how they're built.

Imagine the 9/11 responders rushing into danger of the towers. Now imagine them knowing, absolutely knowing, the building was going to collapse and they were going in to rescue people who were also told to get out, when there was plenty of time, but just decided not to because something else was more important... some "big" business deal or some-such.

Yeah, I just cannot even talk to anyone who thinks this is a nothing-burger.

If there is a useful thread on things to do to help yourself and other's be safe and help end this, I'm interested. This thread ain't it.

I’m not sure why we have this dichotomy where you’re either on the side of full shut down, no questions asked or you’re on the “it’s a nothing-burger” side. At one point, maybe we were and without a doubt, I’m sure there are still some that probably still are (Nothing burger folks). But the discussion has evolved (or it should). The politicians listened to the alarm ringers, finally. They metaphorically slammed on the brakes. But at what cost? And I’m not even confidently saying the time is now (to follow the previous analogy) to mash the gas, much less just let off the brakes. What I’m saying is there needs to be parameters established so that people will know when this will be over, when they’ll be able to go back to work. We need to be honest on how much it’s going to cost us and decide whether it’s worth it or not.

They’ve made a believer out of me. This is not a nothing burger. But when I look around, when I see people panicking, folks’ 401k’s tanking, and reading about the long term effects on the economy, I also am a believer that the cure might just be worse than the disease.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Wonder if Indiana (or anyone else for that matter,) breaks down the amount of tests run with the positive and negative results?

I'm sure those stats are around, but I've heard Trump and Dr. Fauchi repeat multiple times at their daily press conferences that tests are 90%+ negative for Wuhan coronavirus. In other words, people can be legitimately sick but not necessarily with that specific virus.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Skipped the last pages of the old thread and the first of this one.

The numbers continue to look good. Basically, it is too early for a real trendline, but we might be hitting a plateau in the number of daily deaths.

I'm concerned that there might be under-reporting because of the weekend (which would be a reflection of incompetence - c'mon people, work weekends!) but barring any big correction, things continue to look good.

@qwerty I like the conditional formatting. :) And the addition of some demographic data, as incomplete as it may be.

According to the Worldometers site, this isn’t going to be good day. In New York, they’re really having a tough day. If I’m reading it right, they’ve got 12,000 new cases today and 58 deaths. If there is any good news that can be squeezed out of the stats so far today is the death rate among infected people continues to inch lower. At the time of this writing, with the numbers presented, the rate is now just hair above 1%—the lowest I’ve seen it so far.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    According to the Worldometers site, this isn’t going to be good day. In New York, they’re really having a tough day. If I’m reading it right, they’ve got 12,000 new cases today and 58 deaths. If there is any good news that can be squeezed out of the stats so far today is the death rate among infected people continues to inch lower. At the time of this writing, with the numbers presented, the rate is now just hair above 1%—the lowest I’ve seen it so far.

Yeah, checking the incremental numbers today... it doesn't look good. Hard to tell what this will mean for the trend. It might be a reporting lag.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m going to show both my ignorance of how medicines are tested and approved and my desperate hope for this thing to end as soon as possible. As I read about this treatment, it sounds promising and it sounds like some other countries are using it successfully (as read in other articles, not just this one). It sounds like the side effects are fairly benign for most people for the approved uses. So my question is, if this disease is as bad as we’re told it iS, why not start rolling this out now? Unless you’re already in some know group that this will hurt you, what would it hurt?

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2020/03/fda_must_approve_hydroxychloroquine_now.html

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, checking the incremental numbers today... it doesn't look good. Hard to tell what this will mean for the trend. It might be a reporting lag.

Mathematically, merely having rapidly escalating positive cases isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’m assuming testing is becoming more readily available and we’re catching more cases than we have been up until now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom