• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    As the owner of two trailers built in Elkhart (camper and utility), I think I would have to agree about which will have a greater immediate positive impact!

Not that music is unimportant, but IMHO it is a choice between industrial output serving a market and something that is "nice to have."

Yeah. I'm sure when you go to church, you turn to page 22 and sing about your Winnebago.

Get real.

Music is universal. Trailers ain't.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand if it has to be explained to you.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the National Endowment for the Arts is anything like other arts organizations I'm familiar with, they have favorite arts and artists, and money is doled out to board members' friends and favored causes. Not to mention a lot of the stuff they fund isn't anywhere near what I personally would consider "art."

I agree; this funding, if it survives, will not directly assist any starving artists. It's congresspersons taking care of their friends.

This is how deals are done, so if getting it done NOW is all that important, this is going to happen. No reason to get upset about it.

Oh, and have grown up near Elkhart, the RV industry is one of the first to take a hit when the economy goes bad- RVs and yachts, luxuries. It happened a half dozen times that I recall before I moved out of the area in 1992.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yeah. I'm sure when you go to church, you turn to page 22 and sing about your Winnebago.

Get real.

Kind of taking a hard line there, Al.... Plenty of guys use their utility trailers to go make money, to support their families, and to serve the community. Like... virtually every contractor in the country.

I like music as much as anybody, but showing up to my house perfectly in tune and on key isn't going to fix my well or sump pump in an emergency.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Get real.

I agree music is universal; and I don't disagree with funding of the arts. However, if there's a market for it, someone will pay for it.

I just believe the economic utility that comes from building, selling, and using a trailer is probably a bit greater than ensuring an orchestra survives.

Last edited:

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Nobody is giving $300 million to guys building trailers in Elkhart either. Can confirm...

My assumption is that we all get the same UI benefits from our state(s) as anybody else. Not sure how that works if you're an independent filing on a 1099, but if you don't qualify for the benefits then you likely weren't paying into the system either.

Not picking sides on "artists vs. the world", but that's some BS pork that doesn't need to be in that bill. Run it through another bill and let the haggling begin, but get the important stuff that addresses the most people done now.

There is a provision for "gig" employment. I heard that Uber drivers were part of the bill. We'll have to see.

I don't care from a personal perspective. I'm set. I do care that a lot of musicians would be left out. They don't, as a rule, make a lot of money in the first place. But, if they don't tour, they don't eat. Most don't make anything close to minimum wage streaming on Spotify or Apple.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I agree music is universal; and I don't disagree with funding of the arts. However, if there's a market for it, someone will pay for it.

I just believe the economic utility that comes from building, selling, and using a trailer is probably a bit greater than ensuring an orchestra survives.

And I don't need things explained to me.

Well, you don't have data. You have beliefs. The music industry is about the same size as the RV industry. The economic effect on communities as a result of a touring musician vs a trailer pulled by Al & Sally, is obvious.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There is a provision for "gig" employment. I heard that Uber drivers were part of the bill. We'll have to see.

I don't care from a personal perspective. I'm set. I do care that a lot of musicians would be left out. They don't, as a rule, make a lot of money in the first place. But, if they don't tour, they don't eat. Most don't make anything close to minimum wage streaming on Spotify or Apple.

We all make career choices, Al... Following a career because of passion over financial security is just one of those choices. :dunno:

From what I've read, if you are a US citizen, the goal is to get you a stimulus check, and I pretty much agree with that. Handing out extra pork to certain groups because of "reasons", I'm not so into. We have state UI for that.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Oh, and before it was the center of RV industry, Elkhart was the center of what manufacturing?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Lots of musical instruments used to be built up here... I heard that Con and Selmer are all Chinese garbage now tho.

Not sure if that's where you're going, but...

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Well, you don't have data. You have beliefs. The music industry is about the same size as the RV industry. The economic effect on communities as a result of a touring musician vs a trailer pulled by Al & Sally, is obvious.

"obvious?" I suspect the IEDC is more interested in and has stats on the RV and trailer industry than touring musicians, and your assertion is also a belief.

I think we are all on the same side here. I do not wish anything bad to happen to anyone, whether they make or sell trailers or make their living performing. Everyone is suffering.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Bad news for foodies, Top Chef D-list celebrity Floyd Cardoz has died in NJ from COVID-19 at the age of 59. Was hospitalized March 18.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Let's see the final bill. It's difficult to debate this just based on philosophy.

There is 1/2 trillion dollars being spent on "business". As yet undefined. So, let's watch and see what happens.

The entire music industry is only $20 billion or so in the US, so while we can argue about Johnny the guitar player, it's probably of greater value to see what will happen with hotels, cruise lines and airlines.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom