• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You do realize that says 0.33 cups per gallon - right? That is 1 to 48 dilution factor.

Last time, then you're on your own. From the citation in the original post #2981

Cleaning and Storage

Cleaning is recommended after each use. 3M Reusable Respirator Cleaning Wipes 504 may be used as an interim method in the cleaning schedule for individually assigned respirators, but they must not be the only method in place. During fit testing, wipes may also be used between employees being tested.

More: Are You Wearing the Right PPE?
    However, these 3M Reusable Respirators must be thoroughly cleaned at the end of each day, using procedures in appendix B-2 of 29 CFR 1910.134.
    Remove cartridges and filters.
    Clean facepiece (excluding filters and cartridges) by immersing in warm cleaning solution, water temperature not to exceed 120º F (49º C), and scrub with soft brush until clean. Add neutral detergent if necessary. Do not use cleaners containing lanolin or other oils.
    Disinfect facepiece by soaking in a solution of quaternary ammonia disinfectant or sodium hypochlorite (1 oz [30 ML] household bleach in 2 gallons [7.5 L] of water), or other disinfectant.
    Rinse in fresh, warm water and air dry in non-contaminated atmosphere.
    Respirator components must be inspected prior to each use. A respirator with any damaged or deteriorated components must be repaired or discarded.
    The cleaned respirator should be stored away from contaminated areas when not in use.

The recommended dilution, highlighted in maroon and size, is 1 oz to 2 gallons. 2 gallons contain 256 ozs, so once units are harmonized that is a 1:256 dilution. I mention that I have read elsewhere that a 1:32 dilution (in all these cases we are talking household bleach) was more than adequate for all disinfecting

The quote says 1/3 cup to one gallon, which you are correct is a 1:48 dilution - 50% less strong than other recommendations for general disinfection, but well over 5 times the strength of the disinfecting solution recommended by the manufacturer. I was seeking clarification from smoke if he had other sources indicative of the different numbers or if it was a typo. There existed the possibility that too strong a solution could do irrevocable damage or degrade a persons mask, and as these are hard to come by I wanted to make sure there was no confusion since many look to smoke (rightfully so) as a clearinghouse for high quality information. Even the recommended disinfecting dilution may be too strong for some man-made materials in the mask, so I asked for clarification on whether the manufacturers recommendation was the upper limit on solution strength for some reason because if so, different solutions would need to be titered for each purpose and hopefully everyone knows that a given bleach dilution begins to lose strength as soon as it is made. The ideal method is to make small amounts, no more than you need that day or for a given purpose in order to conserve resources

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Screen shot of my post, containing the cite of his post, with the part in question highlighted in maroon and increased in size

You really should learn to f****** search

View attachment 85780

Edit: That's as big as I can make it for some reason. It is post #3080 if you can't read it

Edit2: Smoke's original post in question is #2981. I only update on this once or twice per day, commenting as I read in. The thread moves so fast, you might have to look back more than a page or two if it involves a comment by me

This isn't like you. I know how to search. Instead of getting so snarky with me, maybe you should back off and admit you were the one that read it wrong and posted it wrong.
    I'm not holding my breath. Have a nice day.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I just read about nations that have done extensive testing have found that 46% of those testing positive for Wuhan virus have no symptoms at all, and 3% already had it before it was considered an outbreak. I'm starting to think this might be the biggest overreaction of human history. If we can test 5 million people showing and not showing symptoms this virus may not be any stronger than the common flu.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I don't see any in my area, and even so, I'd rather spend the money on something I know will work and has a warranty.

sorry. I didn’t notice your location. Also try the appliance stores for scratch and dent. They are new with warranty but will knock off quite a bit. Either way an extra freezer at this time is a great idea plus a food dehydrator for sanitizing you n95 masks

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Costco had a sing near the CS desk that the no returns on that stuff that had runs on it 10 days ago. Already ready for it.

Hilarious!
    I finally picked up a 12 pack for the wife while filling her grocery list at Kroger on S. Franklin/E. Southport 2 days ago.
    I was glad to finally buy some green beans, which to me is humorous since if you need "survival" food, buy some real beans with lots of carbs, of which there were plenty. :dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Last time, then you're on your own. From the citation in the original post #2981

The recommended dilution, highlighted in maroon and size, is 1 oz to 2 gallons. 2 gallons contain 256 ozs, so once units are harmonized that is a 1:256 dilution. I mention that I have read elsewhere that a 1:32 dilution (in all these cases we are talking household bleach) was more than adequate for all disinfecting

The quote says 1/3 cup to one gallon, which you are correct is a 1:48 dilution - 50% less strong than other recommendations for general disinfection, but well over 5 times the strength of the disinfecting solution recommended by the manufacturer. I was seeking clarification from smoke if he had other sources indicative of the different numbers or if it was a typo. There existed the possibility that too strong a solution could do irrevocable damage or degrade a persons mask, and as these are hard to come by I wanted to make sure there was no confusion since many look to smoke (rightfully so) as a clearinghouse for high quality information. Even the recommended disinfecting dilution may be too strong for some man-made materials in the mask, so I asked for clarification on whether the manufacturers recommendation was the upper limit on solution strength for some reason because if so, different solutions would need to be titered for each purpose and hopefully everyone knows that a given bleach dilution begins to lose strength as soon as it is made. The ideal method is to make small amounts, no more than you need that day or for a given purpose in order to conserve resources

Yes I understand that 1/3 a cup per gallon is higher than what the mask manufacture is recommending,and also will note the guidelines they put out where for general cleaning of a mask not specifically to destroy covid-19 contamination of one. I have seen no guidance from the manufacturer for that,so I posted the CDC surface cleaning one.

I would rather degrade my mask over time using to high of a bleach concentration than be walking around in a contaminated one.

I have also mentioned 70% alcohol works,so bleach is not your only option. But again that is not something mentioned by the manufacturer so it may well degrade a mask to.

We are talking about reusable half and full face mask just to be clear. For an N95 I use heat or alcohol not bleach and never hand sanitizer.

The quaternary ammonia a is something I actually have on order that should arrive in a few days. I will compare it to the other options when it arrives.

I try to provide the best information I can. It is never perfect or flawless.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I just read about nations that have done extensive testing have found that 46% of those testing positive for Wuhan virus have no symptoms at all, and 3% already had it before it was considered an outbreak. I'm starting to think this might be the biggest overreaction of human history. If we can test 5 million people showing and not showing symptoms this virus may not be any stronger than the common flu.

This is very dangerous. Considering our own navy has pointed out sailors tested negative,only to show signs of being ill and then testing positive days later.
    Who ever is saying 46% of TESTS show negative need to also include the percentage that tested negative,only to test positive later. It has been a known issue for over 2 months.

46% of tests might turn up negatives it does not mean 46% of those tested did not have covid-19 that later developed into serious illness,and it is very misleading to state otherwise to anyone.

I am also going to point out we are all in this together. No one is immune to this.

Understanding advise and opinions differ depending on things like what someone wants to believe,their political views,and how they see the world.
    I have let others get to me at some points,and for that I apologize. These changes in our lives are hard for all of us. I am going to leave you with a thought to keep in mind.

KINDNESS (noun): Loaning someone your strength instead of reminding them of their weakness

Be well,be safe,you are loved. Help when and where you can.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    neGFEd1.jpg

Now add in the viruses that were there before corona, but didn’t keep us at home. Just saying...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is very dangerous. Considering our own navy has pointed out sailors tested negative,only to show signs of being ill and then testing positive days later.
    Who ever is saying 46% of TESTS show negative need to also include the percentage that tested negative,only to test positive later. It has been a known issue for over 2 months.

46% of tests might turn up negatives it does not mean 46% of those tested did not have covid-19 that later developed into serious illness,and it is very misleading to state otherwise to anyone.

I am also going to point out we are all in this together. No one is immune to this.

Understanding advise and opinions differ depending on things like what someone wants to believe,their political views,and how they see the world.
    I have let others get to me at some points,and for that I apologize. These changes in our lives are hard for all of us. I am going to leave you with a thought to keep in mind.

KINDNESS (noun): Loaning someone your strength instead of reminding them of their weakness

Be well,be safe,you are loved. Help when and where you can.

Nothing about showing negative they all tested positive but had no symptoms. 46% of those tested had the Wuhan virus but show no symptoms, and got over it without symptoms.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I believe we’ve already surpassed seasonal flu deaths in only a month or so of this, so I have to disagree with that portion. As far as being an overreaction, I think time will tell how this was handled.

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of things on the ground floor of Indy hospitals? I know several people but I’m getting mixed stories of the number of patients who need hospitalization as a direct result of the virus.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    the problem with the mask suggestion, they don’t want normal people wearing n95’s or surgical because the medical community needs them. That leaves masks that don’t protect people because they don’t filter out the virus according to a chart a medic friend posted (if true). So wearing a mask that isn’t an n95 or surgical does no good potentially. Meaning it is just a feel good suggestion. If they dint protect you, I won’t be wearing One. Sounds like cloth masks and the like are more fashion statements/false security feelings.

i should add medical professionals in hospitals are being told to use their n95’s for a whole week and a surgical for a whole day.

Yes and No.
    The idea of the NON N95, N100/P100/R100 cloths mask is to SLOW the spread of the c-virus.

see this video for how when you sneeze, cough, talk you spew micro particulars into the environmental and how far they travel.

https://youtu.be/K5kR1zhVjAc

If you were to wear a cloth mask it helps reduces the area that your particulars travel thus keeping it closer to you, your face and NO ONE ELSE.

This is not an issue outdoors where the sun's natural UV light can neutralize the virus in the air over time. It is an issue INSIDE, for example at walmart, when you sneeze, cough in the frozen aisle and then leave YOUR particulars are still in that section of the air. The C-virus can survive 3 hours in the air and if Churchmouse walks into that aisle and its empty he thinks he is safe but he is NOT! cause the C-virus is still airborne and then he inhales it and boom now he too is infected.

Now if you wear an N95 inside the store then you have a 95% chance of blocking the C-virus that may still be in the air.

If you wear an N100/P100/R100 (the kind used for asbestos abatement) then you have a 99.99% chance of filtering out the virus.

So wear the cloth mask to keep your particulars to yourself.
    Wear the N95/P100 when you go INSIDE a public place where others have been to ensure you stay safe

Or go about your daily life and allow your own immune system to handle it. If it does great. If it does not you take a chance of ending up real sick and dieing or getting sick and living with scarred lung tissue.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I believe we’ve already surpassed seasonal flu deaths in only a month or so of this, so I have to disagree with that portion. As far as being an overreaction, I think time will tell how this was handled.

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of things on the ground floor of Indy hospitals? I know several people but I’m getting mixed stories of the number of patients who need hospitalization as a direct result of the virus.

Flu deaths are over 24,000. Wuhan virus is at over 7,000 as of today.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm#table1

according to this, there was an estimated 34k flu deaths in the USA last year.

according to this site. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

there has been 7k deaths due to covid so far. Of course flu deaths could be more on average depending on how bad the flu season is.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Push for more information from the State of Indiana. I have tried to assist with this in Indiana and other states.
    I have had help and support doing so,but more voices always help. The information you are asking about is updated here(MN) daily.
    Minnesota vs Indiana

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html
    https://mn.gov/covid19/

https://coronavirus.in.gov/

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Perdue Farms chicken plant workers walk out. I tried to find the USDA plant number so we could see the size of the impact.
    I did not find it,so I am unsure what percentage 50 workers is of the facility.
    https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2020/0...t-workers-walk-out-over-coronavirus-concerns/
    Another poultry plant (Alabama) Workers are wanting it shut down due to so many testing positive at the plant(only 6 out of 1200 workers that I could verify).

https://www.wtvy.com/content/news/W...-closed-amid-COVID-19-pandemic-569322911.html
    No matter the percentage workers walking out of food processing facilities is and could become a large problem.

Beef industry view on current prices and future demand declines.Pointing out beef is more sensative when consumer employment is down.
    Expects a loss of over 9 billion compared to 2019,for 2020.
    https://www.hpj.com/latzke/coronavi...al&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Plant nurseries are shutting down,and throwing away plants(article if about UK not US but we have issues as well).
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...troyed-nurseries-garden-centres-a9439071.html

Minnesota nurseries.
    https://www.swnewsmedia.com/chanhas...cle_bba94564-46f0-556c-ae6b-e303ea800ca8.html

Break down of the nation by state for green houses and nurseries.
    https://www.gardencentermag.com/article/greenhouses-nurseries-garden-centers-essential-coronavirus/

https://www.profoodworld.com/covid-...f-of-processors-have-supply-chain-disruptions
    4/3/2020
    [FONT=&amp]According to ProFood World’s most recent reader poll, nearly half or 48% of respondents(food processors) are currently experiencing supply chain disruption for goods such as equipment, packaging materials, ingredients, and other plant supplies. Several cited the disruption of goods from Asia and inability to obtain masks and hand sanitizer for plant workers. Here is a sample of responses received this week concerning the supply chain disruption.[/FONT]

• Ingredients are harder to get; [there are] less days available to get trucks to deliver.
    • Some spare parts suppliers have been listed as non-essential and have shut down.
    • Lead times for packaging supplies have been extended. High demand for packaging needs.
    • Getting four-week delay for packaging.
    • Slow down on servo motors, drives, and ribbon cables from China.
    • Our suppliers are overwhelmed by increased demand and [are] limiting our ability to purchase more.
    • A large number of our materials and packaging are purchased from India and China. Luckily, we had multiple months of supply stateside prior to the major disruption. Additionally, we are now seeing disruption stateside with shipments of some materials.
    [FONT=&amp]Optimism prevails

JBS is the largest beef processor in the USA. The plant is still operating,but production is down.
    [/FONT]https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/31/jbs-meat-plant-greeley-colorado-coronavirus/
    [FONT=&amp]Several hundred workers at the JBS USA meat processing plant in Greeley called off work Monday as a handful of cases of the novel coronavirus were confirmed among employees.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]About 500 people called off in the morning and another 400 did not go to work in the evening, said Kim Cordova, president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Local 7[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“I don’t believe it was a concerted effort by the workers to stage a protest,” she said. “I absolutely believe somebody may have exposed them, or they’re afraid, or maybe folks are sick. I don’t want to speculate until we get the information.

”[/FONT]https://www.ontariofarmer.com/livestock/quebec-processor-shutdown-has-ripple-effect
    [FONT=&amp]The temporary shutdown of the Olymel pork processing plant at Yamachiche has had a ripple effect across Eastern Canada.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]The plant, which had doubled slaughter capacity last May, was slaughtering 22,000 pigs per week at the time of closure. It was closed after nine of its employees tested positive for COVID-19.

I am going to make this clear. I do not want everyone to panic. I posted the above information for one reason. So you could prepare.
    Supply issues will continue. We are going through a period none of us have lived through before. Events unfold rapidly.
    Things that where not an issue yesterday,can become an issue today or in the near future.

Things are not going back to normal anytime soon,and will likely get worse.

Do you have enough food,a basic part of our lives for yourself and those you love if supply issues become more pronounced?

Can you plant a garden?

Prepare.

Be well,be safe,you are loved.

It is not just me sounding the alarm. The United Nations is as well.
    [/FONT]
    https://thehill.com/policy/internat...of-global-food-shortage-caused-by-coronavirus
    The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) warned of the impact of the COVID-19 virus on the global food supply chain in a notice on their website writing: “We risk a looming food crisis unless measures are taken fast to protect the most vulnerable, keep global food supply chains alive and mitigate the pandemic’s impacts across the food system.”

Excellent and useful information. I can tell you there are plenty of companies that make packaging materials, or could if given guarantees and good business reasons to do so (as a production switch might be necessary). My (unscientific) impression is that we are likely to produce the raw materials for food at similar rates and we have plenty of trucking capacity

The spare parts for the packaging machinery will be the crux, as will the likely necessity of government to step in if necessary to prevent the virus from being used as an excuse to disrupt production in order to extort improvements in pay and benefits beyond a rational level. It would not surprise me if somethin akin to wartime powers were invoked. I believe such powers had to be invoked even in The Two to prevent strikes in critical production. Democrats will likely get wood over this as they think they can use it to put daylight between Trump and blue collar workers. I have no illusions about union 'leadership', but I pray the rank and file will recognize the need and that this isn't the time

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom