Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I wonder why he got rid of shot spotter.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    I can smell Illinois from here
    Unfortunately I live NWI about 30 miles from downtown S**tcago. The bulk of the news I receive is from that rathole. I've watched with amusement as the stupid people of that town elected a useless moron as mayor. He's taken the reigns from the former mayor who was herself marginal in mayoral abilities. Johnson has developed a rob Peter to pay Paul approach to city finances. His current lunacy involves shutting down Shot Spotter which is a tool the Chicago PD "used to" use to get early info on gun discharges around the city. The 18 million saved from the cancellation is already earmarked for Chicago budget holes. The police are now finding dead people, victims of crime laying in streets and alleys for days that would have been been reported by ShotSpotter.

Last edited by a moderator:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Because it is a waste of money Chicago doesn't have,

By the contract’s final day, Chicago taxpayers will have paid more than $53 million since 2018 for a system that Johnson said Feb. 21 never provided a return on the city’s investment or the results that it promised.

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    I can smell Illinois from here
    Chicago's police department is undermanned by 2000 officers. The shotspotter was not perfect but at least gave valuable information about the possibility of illegal activity involving a gun or 2 or 3. Chicago people mainly on the west and south sides have a habit of NEVER reporting any shots to police. It may be because of fear of retribution but more than likely it's apathy.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Chicago's police department is undermanned by 2000 officers. The shotspotter was not perfect but at least gave valuable information about the possibility of illegal activity involving a gun or 2 or 3. Chicago people mainly on the west and south sides have a habit of NEVER reporting any shots to police. It may be because of fear of retribution but more than likely it's apathy.
    Which was then used how? Did the police respond to active shooters and interrupt them?

Where is the $8-10 million a year in value?

An August 2021 study from the Chicago Office of Inspector General found that ShotSpotter “alerts rarely produce evidence of a gun-related crime, rarely give rise to investigatory stops and even less frequently lead to the recovery of gun crime-related evidence.”

Two months later, in October 2021, the Journal of Urban Health published a study that reviewed the impact ShotSpotter had on gun-related homicides, murder and weapons arrests in 68 metropolitan areas between 1999 and 2016. That study found “ShotSpotter technology has no significant impact on firearm-related homicides or arrest outcomes. Policy solutions may represent a more cost-effective measure to reduce urban firearm violence,” the study read.
    I did like the companies take on how valuable it was. Nothing about catching shooters. Just people that had guns(I'm sure that is a rare thing in those neighborhoods) and shell casings. :rockwoot:

During a council committee hearing earlier this month, former CPD Supt. Eddie Johnson and a corporate vice president from SoundThinking spoke to aldermen about the technology – pointing to newly released data compiled with the help of Chicago police and the City’s Office of Emergency Operations and Communications that showed between January and August of this year – ShotSpotter detected 29,829 “alerts” which led to the recovery of 29,214 shell casings and 470 firearms recovered.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Because it is a waste of money Chicago doesn't have,
    That is indeed a lot of money for a system that, after a decade or so of data around the country, seems to have pretty marginal value. Shooters bug out before the cops get there.

I suppose the exact timestamp for shots is more useful in combining with cell data and license plate readers than in actually summoning cops to pounce on shooters in the moment. But yeah either way, city ain't got no money.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The Democrap idiot Mayor of Chiraq is a mental retardant of the first order! Following in the footsteps of that previous freak of nature Lori Beetlejuice, he has further lead Chiraq down the chit hole :toilet2: :toilet2: :toilet2: it has been and will continue to be for many years.

It is a pathetic situation in Chiraq. The sheeples are so far gone that they can’t see what has become of themselves and the once great Windy City. Heck, the whole state of Illinois is in the same situation with that idiot Pritzker at the helm.

On a national level, the Democrap sheeples simply ignore this example of what happens to a government unit that is controlled by their Democrap ilk and continue to vote these idiots into government!

I almost (joke here) do not get it. :ugh:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    It was racist. Only seemed to work in high crime black neighborhoods.

Top Bottom