Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Someone posted a chart that had the half-life of the coronavirus - it was twenty minutes in aerosol form.

My guess is that you can't really answer your question without more data, like, how many virus cells are in that particle you inhale, and how well do those cells take hold and reproduce in you, and ...

I am not a doctor, but I did have Hawaiian pizza last night, so I'm feeling pretty smart today.

This is why I asked the doctor.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Get them while you can.
    EUnQIIYUcAAEB15

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That Vermont thing makes no sense to me. It hurts both consumers and businesses.

And, unlike the Defense Production Act (which is an anti-capitalist federal effort to get businesses to do what needs to be done), I'm not sure what state police power there would be for the authority to prevent an otherwise safe and useful product from being sold.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    That Vermont thing makes no sense to me. It hurts both consumers and businesses.

And, unlike the Defense Production Act (which is an anti-capitalist federal effort to get businesses to do what needs to be done), I'm not sure what state police power there would be for the authority to prevent an otherwise safe and useful product from being sold.
    The number of states is growing. Vermont was not the first.
    https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...order/65-e49bb9a8-b773-4f76-9fbf-6ce7c9a130a9

And the world just broke 1 million cases.
    https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/04/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

They do not have that page updated quite yet...but here is a the link where they say it.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

[Reverse order]

I think China broke through 1M on its own. But that's just me.

IMHO, there's a difference between "not technically allowed to buy" and "not allowed to sell." If I go out to buy groceries, and also buy some stuff for a DIY project while at home, then there should be nothing wrong with that. In fact, it helps the overall mental health.

Altogether different thing to tell businesses what they can and can't sell.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    The Philippines took a page out of the Chinese play book on how to handle the virus.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1245663516138319872?s=12

The Phillippines like killing civilians. They kill drug addicts too.

"Rodrigo Duterte won the 2016 Philippine presidential election promising to kill tens of thousands of criminals, and urging people to kill drug addicts. President Duterte himself admitted that he is not a killer, and is only saying colorful words as an expression.
    "Philippine Drug War - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Philippine_Drug_War"

"More than 7,000 killed in the Philippines in six months, as ...

[url]www.amnesty.org.uk
    › philippines-president-duterte-war-on-drugs-th..."
    [/URL]

Jan 12, 2018 - Duterte ordered Philippines' police forces to kill anyone they believe to be connected to the drugs trade when he assumed office in June 2016.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Government and many of those who wield the levers of power will take any measure they can to consolidate that power and discourage self-reliance and self-sufficiency.

They just aren't in the business of giving power back to the people. It's a damn disgrace we've gotten to this point but we have.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    An interesting analysis of unemployment data and some predictions for the future... It's not looking rosy.

[video=youtube;fgjgvaA-xfY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgjgvaA-xfY[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Earlier in the thread, someone asked about travel and Constitutionality.
    Then he was attacked for trying to be irresponsible.

I could be wrong. But I'm on my phone and don't really feel like hunting down posts.
    But I don't remember him saying to run around for no reason.
    I just remember him asking the question.
    I do remember one of our LEOs answering the question, or at least giving his opinion, with no insults.

Just because someone has a question on law, doesn't mean that person wants to infect people.
    But there is legitimate questions of "how much power", "how long", and "how do we take the power back, once granted".

In Seattle, a police chief just told residents to call 911 for hate crimes and racist speech.
    I don't like crime, or racism.
    But there is supposed to be free speech.
    But it seems that once given the chance, various people will try to greatly expand power.

That is what some are worried about.

Maybe this can be discussed, without assuming the person asking questions wants to run around coughing on people.

IIRC, the post you're thinking of had a much more detailed hypothetical scenario that included disputing LEO's right to curtail movement if the person was actually stopped. I believe most of the flack the OP got was over the idea that he could wind up in jail without PPE while leaving his first responsibility, his family, to fend for themselves. While he may have been roughed up a little, sarcasm-wise, I believe most post were of the usual advice that by the side of the road and with the man on the spot was not the time or place to make the point. In the current crisis it would likely be worse than usual in that necessary court appearances may be curtailed and the time in jail could be longer. Like the illegal gun confiscations post-Katrina, overreach will need to be addressed by legislation after the fact specifically enjoining such behavior in the future

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I doubt it. It didn't even come close in 2009 with 10% unemployment. Planet Money did an interesting episode recently on the topic: https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/821593542/episode-984-food-and-farmworkers

In North Carolina alone farmers needed 6,500 workers for jobs that had been done by migrant laborers. Only 163 Americans applied, and only 7 did the job for the whole season.

Well, this time they're unlikely to get their migrants so they might think about making working conditions more palatable such as only 8 or 10 hours per day, portajohns, hourly pay instead of piecework etc. Either that or lose their product

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    [FONT=lucida_granderegular]Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas put it simply: [/FONT]“There are basically no U.S. auto sales right now. [FONT=lucida_granderegular]Investors have fully embraced the reality that the U.S. auto industry may be shut down for one or two full months. We’re now being asked to run scenarios of six-month or nine-month shutdowns.”

[/FONT]
    https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/us-auto-sales-plunge-lowest-decade-worst-yet-come-q2

As of about 2 weeks ago, GM was offering 0% financing for 7 years...

If the deal gets much better, a stripped down Spark would almost be too hard to refuse as my daily beater. Brand new car for about $150/mo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom