• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Legal justification?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/brooklyn-man-arrested-for-hoarding-masks-coughing-on-fbi-agents

A New York man coughed on FBI agents and claimed he has the coronavirus on Monday as they arrested him for allegedly lying about the sale of $12,000 worth of medical supplies. Authorities say Baruch Feldheim, 43, of Brooklyn allegedly sold much-needed supplies such as N95 respirators and other personal protective equipment to a New Jersey doctor at 700% markup of their original price. When federal agents confronted him Monday at his home, he lied and said that he worked for a company that bought and sold PPE, according to the U.S. Attorney District of New Jersey's Office. Prosecutors say Feldheim also falsely said that he didn't possess large quantities of PPE and that he never sold them directly to individuals.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.foxnews.com/us/brooklyn-man-arrested-for-hoarding-masks-coughing-on-fbi-agents

A New York man coughed on FBI agents and claimed he has the coronavirus on Monday as they arrested him for allegedly lying about the sale of $12,000 worth of medical supplies. Authorities say Baruch Feldheim, 43, of Brooklyn allegedly sold much-needed supplies such as N95 respirators and other personal protective equipment to a New Jersey doctor at 700% markup of their original price. When federal agents confronted him Monday at his home, he lied and said that he worked for a company that bought and sold PPE, according to the U.S. Attorney District of New Jersey's Office. Prosecutors say Feldheim also falsely said that he didn't possess large quantities of PPE and that he never sold them directly to individuals.

Other than "coughing on authorities", I'm still trying to see how this isn't theft.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

I read the article and I'm not seeing where they had authority to seize his property.

I don't agree with what he was doing, but I'm not seeing how that was legal. The Feds charged him with other crimes and then took his stuff.

edit: Only possible excuse is they think they're stolen property, but since that all happened within NY, I'm not seeing how that's federal authority.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Interstate commerce. NY/NJ

Feds have jurisdiction.

There are Federal (and state) price gouging laws.

Masks alleged going missing from NY hospitals (according to the president).

Seems that there is probable cause for a warrant....but IANAL

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Interstate commerce. NY/NJ

Feds have jurisdiction.

There are Federal (and state) price gouging laws.

Masks alleged going missing from NY hospitals (according to the president).

Seems that there is probable cause for a warrant....but IANAL

Sure enough... I skipped right past the "New Jersey" doctor part of the article.

But... The only federal price gouging law I can find is about gas/fuels. NJ and NY have their own gouging laws.

My guess is the feds think they're stolen property. Seems odd not to charge him with that while collecting all of the evidence... :dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    He's not wrong.

Newt Gingrich said:
    It should not require the Governor of Ohio calling the President of the United States to get the Food and Drug Administration to allow a company to sterilize masks in large quantities. All these bureaucratic bottlenecks should be permanently fixed in the next phase.

https://twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1244903338115829761

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    To post it,or not to post it.

Screw it. You can handle the truth.

COVID-19–associated Acute Hemorrhagic Necrotizing Encephalopathy: CT and MRI Features from the Radiological Association of America.
    Acute necrotizing encephalopathy (ANE) is a rare central nervous system (CNS) complication secondary to influenza or other viral infections which is characterized by altered mental status and seizures, and often this further leads to profound disability or death.

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020201187

https://journals.lww.com/neurotodayonline/blog/breakingnews/pages/post.aspx?PostID=920

I like a post sent to me today.

It simply read "If one source says it is raining,and another source says it is dry. It is not your job to quote them both,but to go look."

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    :rofl:
    Yeah right!!! If he thinks criminals are gonna wait I have some magic beans for him to buy.

Especially when you're a mayor who does stupid things like tell the public the police aren't going to arrest people for small crimes like burglary...

Some of these idiots deserve what they get.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

What we're in right now will be in the history books. Look up and smile at the camera!

https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660

ETT8mfVXsAEA9M8

ETT8g9aWoAACr8w

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom