Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am not impugning the guy, just predicting something that seem obvious to me. Recent history is littered with the like, most recently John Bolton, what a retirement package.

yeah, but with Bolton, I don't think it seems out of character for him to do. I kinda think the in-character thing for Dr Fauci to write a book about, if he writes one after this gig, is about pandemics and such.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, Fauci is more likely to write a very dry, but important, textbook. Or at least a chapter of one.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For what it's worth, here's a "2 degrees of separation" and a "1 degree of separation" account.

First -2 degrees of separation from me. The first and second cases diagnosed in Lake County are friends of many of my friends through church connections. The husband and wife are in their '60s and I don't know their health statuses before this, but at the very least, they were significantly overweight and that carries a lot of things with it. The husband had pretty mild symptoms and, while isolating, is pretty close to "recovered", if not completely. The wife, on the other hand, suffered kidney failure, had to be put on a ventilator and now, they have confirmed no meaningful brain activity. She is being taken off of the vent and will pass shortly, if not already. Keep in mind that she was diagnosed 2+ weeks ago, so it has not been a short ride from diagnosis to death.

Second- 1 degree of separation. A very good friend of mine, his wife and daughter were the first, second and third cases diagnosed in Porter County. The couple are in their 50s. A couple of years ago, my friend had some significant lung problems and has some scarring. He spent 3 or 4 days in the hospital, but is now at home recovering well. His wife and daughter (30s) had only mild symptoms. In blatant self interest, it has been well over 3 weeks since I have seen my friend or his family and over 2 weeks since I have seen anyone (in person) from our social circle.

I just thought that something other than super-sensationalized posts from a person with close enough to "eye-witness" testimony may be worth something.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Here is a nice dashboard you might like to follow. Courtesy of Jobnas Nart.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/jonas.nart#!/vizhome/COVID19_15844962693420/COVID19-TrendTracker

The dashboard displays the date when lockdown measures were taken, and shows the time lag between lockdown and "flattening the curve" in new cases, and the additional lag to expect in stopping the growth in deaths. It helps people to understand this complex situation from a quantitative viewpoint.

Data is from Johns Hopkins University and updated daily. The info on lockdown measures in the countries and US states is collected from public sources.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    as it becomes more prevalent people feel more confident blaming deaths on the virus because "it's obvious they have it", except many times they don't. I always question death stats in these times. how do they know immediately what the patient had?

despite massive uptick in testing our. number of positives have been flat for a few days

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I, too, am grateful that Hoosierdoc shares his insights and knowledge from the front lines.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...The tests will initially be reserved for the sick who are very sick and the need to know a diagnosis is critical...

Ima simple country boy, so maybe somebody smarter has the answer; why test the very sick?

There is no cure. In the vast majority of cases the best docs can do is treat the symptoms. Does the treatment differ significantly from someone with a bad case of pneumonia?

How does a positive or negative test change the course of treatment?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I guess this is a good news story? One of the women I work with had her husband, a PA, diagnosed with Covid-19, he spent two weeks (maybe a little more) at home with mild symptoms and is now back at work. His wife and kids have all tested negative.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What if real zombies require knee cap shots?
    And everyone wastes their time with head shots because they "know" that's what works... on imaginary zombies.

Don't go there. Popular storytelling always has powerful beings have critical weaknesses, like a vampires susceptability to silver or sunlight or holy water. That gives the people hope. In reality zombies or vampires would not evolve with such critical weaknesses and would eat our lunch (or use us for same)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ima simple country boy, so maybe somebody smarter has the answer; why test the very sick?

There is no cure. In the vast majority of cases the best docs can do is treat the symptoms. Does the treatment differ significantly from someone with a bad case of pneumonia?

How does a positive or negative test change the course of treatment?

With flu/pneumonia/non-novel conditions, we have different things that we know work. Being able to eliminate those things (called "differential diagnosis" sometimes) means we can jump to the kinds of treatments that we either want to test or that we think have some chance of success.

This is not 100% fatal, even among the critical patients. So, we are able to throw a bunch of tricks at this to treat it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Another comment about the mortality cap - all those private labs probably only report, even indirectly, the positives. That is, if they get a positive, the tell that person to contact medical establishments. The negatives don't really have to do anything, and the private lab may not be required to disclose it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Another comment about the mortality cap - all those private labs probably only report, even indirectly, the positives. That is, if they get a positive, the tell that person to contact medical establishments. The negatives don't really have to do anything, and the private lab may not be required to disclose it.

In these times they should be reporting everything. We have more testing done and reported by private labs than the public health lab. Information is good.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    It would be nice if every state reported numbers in some standard way. I like the way Minnesota reports. They include all the usual stuff plus total hospitalized, total hospitalized today and total in ICU today. Also the number of "Patients who no longer need to be isolated".

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html

It took about a week for that to happen,and quite a few phone calls,emails,and messages.

I did not happen without effort on my part and many others.

If you want information from your state get with others and push for it.

Actively influencing what information is available to you is a good thing.

That is how you as an individual can learn more. Minnesota will also hopefully within the next week be reporting ages,comorbitities(in the cases involving death letting information about any other conditions someone had),and improve contact tracing.

You can not complain about what information you are given if you do not ask for more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom