Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    COVID-19 INGO BBQ

pvHZcWZ.gif
    I'll bring the Meat!
    pvHZcWZ.gif

Ooh. Covid Bat Brisket! Yum. Good when served extra rare. Seems like you had some cat BBQ recipes for the grill too. You should bring them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It just occurred to me, if they develop a vaccine for this thing, maybe next season they should offer it only in combination with the flu vaccine. Then let’s look at how this coming flu season compared to previous ones. Yes, I’m not big on the anti-vaxxers.

But then again, the flu vaccine is hit or miss at best. There are so many strains it's a guess figure out which flu vaccine to make in time for flu season. They guessed wrong last year and this year. The point isn't that you shouldn't bother with the flu vaccine, it's that it would be a mistake to require them to be administered together. If you want a flu vaccine, get a flu vaccine. After one comes out, if you want a covid vaccine, get it. If you want both, get both.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    about 5-7 days for symptoms. people get on ventilators about day 8 of the illness. if you are intubated about a 70% mortality based on seattle data. usual time on a vent for survivors is 10 days

I know of two people in indy who were extubated today and doing better

Good news!

Have you had (or heard) of any first hand experience using the hydroxychloroquine treatment that the FDA recently approved?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Seriously though after this is all over we should have a INGO BBQ pitch-in in honor of all of our INGO first responders and hospital staff! (I dont know if they are technically called 1st responders? I dont want to leave anyone important out for a label).
    These people put their asses on the front line daily anyways for us and their families also make the sacrifice with them. Like those military families do I'd imagine.
    Anyways, how would you like to risk your life to a invisible enemy without any protection or very little, but never enough, and all it takes is one slip up or even just a statistical anomaly and you got it! And now maybe so does your family.
    They do it for complete strangers! A calling. I dont want to put words in their mouths because I've never done their jobs, but I'm eternally grateful and I think it would be cool to get to put some faces to some usernames and buy them some burgers or whatever else they like on a grill and their family too. Who wants in on this? Let's make it happen and make it big.
    I'm committing the first 200 bucks (I'll give it to a mod to buy the food or I'll provide receipts) to go towards meat and other supplies. Let's do this. All invited. Family friendly.
    Once this social distancing is over of coarse and it's safe. All ingo members invited but it's in honor of our front line ingo first responders! Can we make that happen mods? Churchmouse?

Please no bashing. These are OUR people. INGO people.

One of the guys came in this morning with two cases of various Girl Scout cookies and asked they be handed out to the team in appreciation for their work. Personally I'm not much of a cookie guy but I'm all over BBQ!!:rockwoot:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think a BBQ type setting would bring more people than a restaurant style meet. I haven’t been able to make a meet yet, but I’d definitely prefer an outdoors/BBQ setting where everyone can just hang out. Maybe some corn hole, karaoke, keg stands, you know, bbq stuff

If you guys start singing I'm out. :n00b:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I skipped the last few pages.

A few observations:
    - NY/NYC are going to get worse. They have only diagnosed a small fraction of the population, and I can't even see any real numbers about how many they've tested. That 30k vent number could end up being best case for them.

- But, that doesn't mean it'll get apocalyptically worse everywhere. Here in the midwest, with lower density and more practical people, we have capacity and we're likely able to get a handle on it relative early. Well, it WILL get worse here, but this idea that we are an "emerging hotspot" is deceptive. We're doing a shton of testing (which is good) partly because we already had bio-medical infrastructure here.

- The trendline for day-over-day deaths and percentage-increase in total deaths are actually shallowing. That is, nearly horizontal. Yes, that's counterintuitive because we did set another record high (nationally) in deaths yesterday. But, the point is that it is not as big of an increase as in the past. That's kinda the first indication that we might be "flattening the curve." Maybe. We are getting into the meat of the post-shutdown incubation/critical care period. We'll be getting a better understanding of how those measure may have reduced transmission.

- With so many people out of work, the charities are really ramping up. That's another part of Americana - helping our neighbors. Hopefully, there will be enough resources in those institutions to tide people over. If not, and the gov't starts distributing, that's a bad sign. Resource scarcity resonates with our reptilian-level brain.

Disclaimer: this post contains no hysteria or panicking. If you feel triggered, take 3 deep breaths and log off.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Floyd county seems to be in big trouble after the Baptist East grand poohbah said Floyd county was a "hotspot". But we're probably not the only "hotspot" county in the state, or even in the US. Floyd county was able to test more people than in the surrounding areas because reasons. Probably there's nothing magical about Floyd county. Except I can say that on the way to Kroger for the regularly scheduled two-week supply run the highways didn't look like I would think they should look given the shelter in place order. It doesn't seem that people are taking it seriously. But I don't think that sentiment is uniquely Floydian. Out of 200 returned cases, 50 were positive. So I imagine will have a really ugly update when the state's numbers are updated.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/a-chief-m...cle_eeea9c40-72e5-11ea-8db1-875370108bc1.html

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I dont read that guy in that way. I've been completely wrong about people before but I just dont see him doing that. I think the man has high integrity and professionalism.
    I hope I'm right, not to win, but because I like the guy and I don't want to have to change my opinion of him

yep. he's been published enough. he doesn't need that for his sense of self worth

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I skipped the last few pages.

A few observations:
    - NY/NYC are going to get worse. They have only diagnosed a small fraction of the population, and I can't even see any real numbers about how many they've tested. That 30k vent number could end up being best case for them.

- But, that doesn't mean it'll get apocalyptically worse everywhere. Here in the midwest, with lower density and more practical people, we have capacity and we're likely able to get a handle on it relative early. Well, it WILL get worse here, but this idea that we are an "emerging hotspot" is deceptive. We're doing a shton of testing (which is good) partly because we already had bio-medical infrastructure here.

- The trendline for day-over-day deaths and percentage-increase in total deaths are actually shallowing. That is, nearly horizontal. Yes, that's counterintuitive because we did set another record high (nationally) in deaths yesterday. But, the point is that it is not as big of an increase as in the past. That's kinda the first indication that we might be "flattening the curve." Maybe. We are getting into the meat of the post-shutdown incubation/critical care period. We'll be getting a better understanding of how those measure may have reduced transmission.

- With so many people out of work, the charities are really ramping up. That's another part of Americana - helping our neighbors. Hopefully, there will be enough resources in those institutions to tide people over. If not, and the gov't starts distributing, that's a bad sign. Resource scarcity resonates with our reptilian-level brain.

Disclaimer: this post contains no hysteria or panicking. If you feel triggered, take 3 deep breaths and log off.

Eh. At least you didn't use trigger words. Although "apocalyptically" [SIC] concerns me that we could have an outbreak of :runaway:

But maybe not. I think we should be beyond hysteria or panicking by now. It is what it is. The more people uncover reality the sooner we can just forget the emotional bull****. People's general inability to separate emotional response to tragic events from discussing the facts that are causing the tragedies should improve as we learn more about it maybe?

About the deaths flattening, of course the deaths lag the new case data by 1-2 weeks, maybe. But, maybe to the extent that the deaths are flattening is because we're getting more capacity, and some promising treatments. Capacity seemed to be the biggest factor in the high death rate in Italy. If it were just about the risk factors I think the US should do a lot worse than Italy by this stage because the obesity rate is so horrible here, along with other risk factors. But generally, notwithstanding some hotspots, capacity hasn't been as big an issue.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I dont read that guy in that way. I've been completely wrong about people before but I just dont see him doing that. I think the man has high integrity and professionalism.
    I hope I'm right, not to win, but because I like the guy and I don't want to have to change my opinion of him

I don't read him that way either. He seems less political and more pragmatic to me. If he were TDSing, it would be very obvious. He seems to understand how to handle Trump and get him to listen. I think that's really all there is to it. Just doing the job and trying to get people with political power to understand and follow the course.

Notwithstanding some hiccups, I think the federal government probably could not perform much better. I don't mean there's nothing they could have done better in hindsight. But that knowledge that leads to wisdom is dynamic for stuff like this and I don't think we'd be doing any better with different leaders. They're all sincerely trying to make decisions that produce the best outcome as they know it. And I think the "let it ride" folks would be making things much worse if they were in charge.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Eh. At least you didn't use trigger words. Although "apocalyptically" [SIC] concerns me that we could have an outbreak of :runaway:

That was for the etymolo-magicians out there. ;)

About the deaths flattening, of course the deaths lag the new case data by 1-2 weeks, maybe. But, maybe to the extent that the deaths are flattening is because we're getting more capacity, and some promising treatments. Capacity seemed to be the biggest factor in the high death rate in Italy. If it were just about the risk factors I think the US should do a lot worse than Italy by this stage because the obesity rate is so horrible here, along with other risk factors. But generally, notwithstanding some hotspots, capacity hasn't been as big an issue.

My observation about flattening is related only to deaths, it doesn't really rely on the case-identification number at all. I think the primary lag is the result of treatments. We have really good medical people and tools to keep people alive.

One of the questions in all this is, how do we know we're coming out of it? Smaller increments of deaths is going to be one factor. Maybe the primary factor. We don't have consistent numbers about how many people are in critical care. Hopefully the policy-makers have that. That's probably an even better way to tell. If there is an increase in critical patients on the horizon, or even already in ICUs, then that's bad.

But, that does not appear to be reported in any consistent way. (Worldometers has a metric for it, but I'm not sure where that comes from.)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Notwithstanding some hiccups, I think the federal government probably could not perform much better. I don't mean there's nothing they could have done better in hindsight. But that knowledge that leads to wisdom is dynamic for stuff like this and I don't think we'd be doing any better with different leaders. They're all sincerely trying to make decisions that produce the best outcome as they know it. And I think the "let it ride" folks would be making things much worse if they were in charge.

I concur.

There's alot we don't know about the federal reaction to this, but all appearances are that people were doing their best. There's still opportunity to **** it up, but not much room for MMQBing right now.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

I read someone else say that Covid-19 was "an apocalypse" and would "decimate" the American people.

Come on! Those don't overlap.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That was for the etymolo-magicians out there. ;)

My observation about flattening is related only to deaths, it doesn't really rely on the case-identification number at all. I think the primary lag is the result of treatments. We have really good medical people and tools to keep people alive.

One of the questions in all this is, how do we know we're coming out of it? Smaller increments of deaths is going to be one factor. Maybe the primary factor. We don't have consistent numbers about how many people are in critical care. Hopefully the policy-makers have that. That's probably an even better way to tell. If there is an increase in critical patients on the horizon, or even already in ICUs, then that's bad.

But, that does not appear to be reported in any consistent way. (Worldometers has a metric for it, but I'm not sure where that comes from.)

AAAHHH! :runaway:

You used that word!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It just occurred to me, if they develop a vaccine for this thing, maybe next season they should offer it only in combination with the flu vaccine. Then let’s look at how this coming flu season compared to previous ones. Yes, I’m not big on the anti-vaxxers.

There's no anti-vaxxers in foxholes? :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom