• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I disagree with a lot of your argument, but especially the quoted statement. The only way it is similar "shotgun Joe" is if he were the one who bought you the guns to start with. He isn't involved with your gun related decisions in the slightest. Taxpayers, on the other hand are footing the entire cost of employing you. Therefore frugality should be used when purchasing equipment.

NOTACOP here, although I worked in Public Safety for a number of years. Your view of the law enforcement transportation issue seems to be informed by living in countries where roads are small and so are most vehicles. Have you seen what the Germans use to patrol their autobahns - the only European equivalent I know of to our Interstate Highway system. Even the "Interstate highway system" in Korea - which was non-existent when I was in Korea in 1975, but extends across the country as of 2007 - is only two-lane concrete.

I would guess we have more miles of high-speed roadway than any other country in the world. City patrolling represents a lot of stopping, starting, idling, accelerating, decelerating, and turning. I dare say if you look under the bodies of the cars you used as examples, they'd be the high-end models of their particular brand; with extras added for the police, just as we do here. Smaller isn't necessarily better under any conditions that pertain in Public Safety emergency response situations, where there tends to be a large amount of personal protective equipment which is being carried in additional to specialty equipment required for the job being done.

Here in the Midwest, snow and high water are two fairly reliable (in terms of the risks of them appearing) conditions which must be dealt with by Public Safety entities. That, and the increasing amounts of PPE are the reasons that most Fire Department Chief Officers are using Ford Expeditions or larger these days, the Ford Explorers or Crown Vics aren't really big enough to carry the required equipment. Law Enforcement SUVs in Indianapolis were initially being used for logistics purposes, but became more popular as a result of the established need to be able to move around the City during snowstorms and street flooding. That they are coming around to using SUVs because of their size and availability should come as no surprise to anyone who is familiar with what they do, and how much it costs to get them what they need to do it with.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think this country could make do without the police.
    I know your being sarcastic but if anyone REALY does think that then I'm sorry but they are stupid.
    I also do agree with what you said regarding the machine guns and mustangs ect. Let the cops and civilians have all the same. It's right and fair. Equal for all that are non criminals.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thanks guys for listing what you look for in a car. Also the pictures of the trunk and inside. Damn!! That's a lot of gear. You guys need a big trunk or SUV with a nice shelving or locker system built into the back to help you keep it all in order. I bet you lose stuff having it all in there like that and it shifting around?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Thanks guys for listing what you look for in a car. Also the pictures of the trunk and inside. Damn!! That's a lot of gear. You guys need a big trunk or SUV with a nice shelving or locker system built into the back to help you keep it all in order. I bet you lose stuff having it all in there like that and it shifting around?

You think hes got a lot of stuff in his CV, I'll try to snap a pic of the trunk of my Charger.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I dono. I have a rifle and case, shotgun and case, pepperball launcher and case, HUGE gear bag with all my riot control "NERF" gear (pads and helmet), load bearing vest with gear, riot shield, NBC suit/gear, tool box, rain gear, SAPI plate carrier, fire extinguisher, etc all in my trunk. It fills my Crown Vic trunk up.

You guys carry around NBC gear??????

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    picture.php

Fix the cigarette lighter.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    :xmad:
    Missed it by 6 hp when I got the M5:(
    Since it is a 6 speed manual, does that make up for the hp:dunno::D

I have had a school bus go sideways on me though. That was fun

I would say so. I have a Trans Am making 475ish rwhp, but it runs through a stalled auto. It is actually quite easy to drive in inclement weather because very little power makes it to the wheels under normal driving conditions. That said, I've always preferred RWD to FWD in snow because there's nothing like turning the wheel in a FWD car as it continues to travel strait. I'd rather lose the tail end a little which is very correctable if one has experience with RWD cars.

Police don't need to all be driving large inefficient vehicles. In my opinion a vast majority of police vehicles should be small economy cars. They need to be large enough to hold two officers, their equipment, and nothing else. The police simply need to have larger vehicles spread throughout the city that could haul people to jail. The economy car cops would basically be "enclosed" motorcycle officers.

If we are realistic we will admit that police cars aren't racing through the streets, but spend a lot of time idling, driving in the city, and at low speeds. It would save a fortune on gas to have police drive small and efficient cars. I imagine that it would also be a lot cheaper to purchase a bare bones Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta, or Toyota Corolla than what they are currently driving.

2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-police-car-review-review-car-and-driver-photo-422100-s-429x262.jpg

Police%2Bcar.jpg

Ford-Fiesta-Europe-December-2011.jpg

Not every country is the same. Look at the cars in common usage in the UK, then look at the cars here. Many of the cars here are bigger and faster with more open roads available. I'm not a cop, but I'd hate to have to chase somebody down in a Prius. There is a legitimate need for performance in police cars.

Top Bottom