• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The problem is that when you do that, you introduce a higher center of gravity, and, more important, a higher cost when comparable price is a significant issue in being able to trade up.

Valid point. But I wonder what's the difference in cost? Also could we get 4wd SUVs for our officers in the beats that travel outside of the downtown area and the 2wd for the downtown? Or would that be too hard to manage through the motor pool?

I think that the auto manufacturers kind of run a racket on us when it comes to public service vehicles. As many that's ordered you would think they could lower costs a lot. It reminds me of the medical industry and how when they sell equipment they know you need for a medical condition the cost quadruples. I know they do many upgrades to make them be able to run all the electronics and suspension ect but it still seams high. I think my friend told me it was like $80k for a police crown Vic off the line and that was a few years ago.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Also the fact that the cost are the same are beneficial to dangle the idea in front of politicians. I LOVE the look of the new chargers but it looks like you guys are cramped in them?
    I was in Cincy a few weekends back and I think I saw one of the patrol units rolling around in a Fusion. :n00b: It was definitely the small Ford.

I never understood why they have the police mustangs in indiana. Dont they get sketchy in the winter?

You can't call yourself a driver unless you can handle 400+hp of rear-wheel drive power in snow and ice! Front wheel drive is for pussies. :D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    You can't call yourself a driver unless you can handle 400+hp of rear-wheel drive power in snow and ice! Front wheel drive is for pussies. :D

:xmad:
    Missed it by 6 hp when I got the M5:(
    Since it is a 6 speed manual, does that make up for the hp:dunno::D

I have had a school bus go sideways on me though. That was fun

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Valid point. But I wonder what's the difference in cost? Also could we get 4wd SUVs for our officers in the beats that travel outside of the downtown area and the 2wd for the downtown? Or would that be too hard to manage through the motor pool?

I think that the auto manufacturers kind of run a racket on us when it comes to public service vehicles. As many that's ordered you would think they could lower costs a lot. It reminds me of the medical industry and how when they sell equipment they know you need for a medical condition the cost quadruples.

Sounds reasonable enough. I can't claim to understand the internal logistics, and as that goes, am not inclined to be too particular within reason. I wouldn't mind some additional cost so long as both the need and the value for the money spent are there, and we aren't talking a huge spike in price. I never liked the notion of equipment being supplied by the lowest bidder on account of having provided the lowest bid, but also do not like the idea of unbridled excess. I prefer to consider it the difference between frugal and cheap. As for the relationship between the industry and the public purchasers/users, I again find myself without a viable frame of reference.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Drove one a few times, just not in the winter time...
    That is all I am willing to say about my semi driving experiences.

Understandable. It isn't necessarily an easy thing to learn, particularly if you have tried it only a few times presumably not in a compact period of time.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I was in Cincy a few weekends back and I think I saw one of the patrol units rolling around in a Fusion. :n00b: It was definitely the small Ford.

That would be a funny thing to see. I guess smaller vehicles will always have their place. I noticed that a lot of the FBI were rolling around in smaller ford cars. Some also looked foreign made, not sure.
    A lot of cities on the east coast have not very wide streets in the older parts. I was terrified the first time I drove in Washington, D.C. the short time I was stationed there. I was just waiting for a door to fly open in front of me.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I think my friend told me it was like $80k for a police crown Vic off the line and that was a few years ago.

It's all equipment specific, but you can buy a brand new crown vic police package for 16,000-18,000 depending on things like cruise, prewired for lights, gear ratio etc etc. As far as IMPD is concerned the price is 16-18,000+

The light bar is 737.00
    The control box is 150.00
    The console is 200.00
    Headlight flasher is 100.00

your friend is about 60,000 off, but again that depends on equipment added.

For State Police add this to the above.
    2 led strobes to the rear and 2 in the front for a total off $240.00 more
    2 rear deck lights for $300.00
    In car radio for $2,500
    Radar/vascar $2000.00

For "frog holler indiana" Add

mirror lights, deck lights, dash lights, 3 extra lightbars for 20,000
    lowband radio, scanner, blue force tracker, dual band radio, $20,000
    75 antennas 1,000
    Laser designator, spy hunter oil slick, EMP, RPG, LMNOP, ASAP, PDQ, HIV, 50,000

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

I think that the auto manufacturers kind of run a racket on us when it comes to public service vehicles. As many that's ordered you would think they could lower costs a lot. It reminds me of the medical industry and how when they sell equipment they know you need for a medical condition the cost quadruples. I know they do many upgrades to make them be able to run all the electronics and suspension ect but it still seams high. I think my friend told me it was like $80k for a police crown Vic off the line and that was a few years ago.

Actually most agency's buy vehicles on a state or government bid contract price. In other words a state or govenrment entity makes a deal with GM for so many thousand vehicles of a certain make. GM cuts a deal for the volume sales. Any governmental entity can buy from those bid prices. Example I need two new cars. I go to a dealer and say I need two Caprice PPV's. They will sell them to you but it will cost you 29,560.00 per. Or you can go through GM fleet and they will direct you to a dealer near you that is handling state bid prices. Same car for 22k. Make sense?

Police vehicles are purchased way cheaper than the general public can buy them for. I think the big three are in the police car business for bragging rights as their profits are very low on police vehicles.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Actually most agency's buy vehicles on a state or government bid contract price. In other words a state or govenrment entity makes a deal with GM for so many thousand vehicles of a certain make. GM cuts a deal for the volume sales. Any governmental entity can buy from those bid prices. Example I need two new cars. I go to a dealer and say I need two Caprice PPV's. They will sell them to you but it will cost you 29,560.00 per. Or you can go through GM fleet and they will direct you to a dealer near you that is handling state bid prices. Same car for 22k. Make sense?

Police vehicles are purchased way cheaper than the general public can buy them for. I think the big three are in the police car business for bragging rights as their profits are very low on police vehicles.
    Thanks for the clarification.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Police don't need to all be driving large inefficient vehicles. In my opinion a vast majority of police vehicles should be small economy cars. They need to be large enough to hold two officers, their equipment, and nothing else. The police simply need to have larger vehicles spread throughout the city that could haul people to jail. The economy car cops would basically be "enclosed" motorcycle officers.

If we are realistic we will admit that police cars aren't racing through the streets, but spend a lot of time idling, driving in the city, and at low speeds. It would save a fortune on gas to have police drive small and efficient cars. I imagine that it would also be a lot cheaper to purchase a bare bones Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta, or Toyota Corolla than what they are currently driving.

2012-chevrolet-caprice-ppv-police-car-review-review-car-and-driver-photo-422100-s-429x262.jpg

Police%2Bcar.jpg

Ford-Fiesta-Europe-December-2011.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Somehow the vast majority of the police forces on this planet make due with smaller cars and motorcycles. I bet you could manage too.

The vast majority of police forces on this planet spend their time on narrower roads, dirtier roads, less well-maintained roads... and they don't need to do pit maneuvers against bigger vehicles like they do here.

I seriously can't believe this is even an argument.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The vast majority of police forces on this planet spend their time on narrower roads, dirtier roads, less well-maintained roads... and they don't need to do pit maneuvers against bigger vehicles like they do here.

I seriously can't believe this is even an argument.

Dirtier roads and less well-maintained roads would favor a bigger car or SUV, yet the small cars function just fine elsewhere. That seems like a moot point.

Do you seriously think that possibility of an occasional PIT maneuver is worth the added cost to taxpayers?

Top Bottom