• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The police model Tahoe (2wd) will outperform the Crown Vic and the NM state police used one to PIT a school bus.

Heck yes! I have never been issued a pursuit rated Tahoe but I drove a 2012 at IRP during EVO. It did very well IMO. Minimal body roll, very stiff and killer braking.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, don't really see much of an advantage if the SUV's not gonna have 4wd / AWD.

To me, it's just a cost factor. I suppose it's 'cool' to have tons of gee-gaws and doo-dads. But not when communities are on a tight dollar, as MOST are in this current era.

FWIW, when looking at any sort of cruiser, one of the primary considerations should be front interior width, seat width, etc. As noted above, wearing a Sam Browne with a sidearm on one side, radio on the other, mag / speedloader pouches, handcuff case(es), etc. makes an Officer about 8" or so 'wider' at the hips than in street clothes.

I agree additional room needs to be a consideration, but one of the PRIMARY points should be room behind the wheel, 'cause you know that someone's going to be sitting there if that vehicle's in operation.

I don't see the need for 'ninja' wheels or other such trivialities UNLESS it's necessary to the function of the vehicle. Cruisers don't need to 'look cool', unless that's a side benefit. Their first priority is function.

Of course, I only see a VERY limited need for un-marked cars. With RARE exception, ALL police vehicles should be conspicuously marked. Nor do I see ANY need for 'covert' cars EXCEPT for decided undercover work. No traffic or patrol Mustangs, Camaros, etc.

Nor do I see much need, for MOST police, for camo, 'ninja' BDU's, etc. Police aren't 'black ops', or 'covert' work, nor 'spies', nor 'James Bond', nor 'ninjas', for the vast majority of police work. They represent their community, and should look like the 'most upstanding' of citizens, not thugs, gang-members, or ninjas. WAY too much of that nowadays, and for NO justifiable reason.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I do not care about leg room in the back, but I wish there were a stink barrier between front and back.

I didnt say anyone was a criminal. I simply said that I wish there were a barrier. the vast majority of individuals riding in my back seat do not smell like rose petals...
    Meh......
    After you get a few more years under your belt you can make the new crop of Rookies haul the smelly stuff to jail. :D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I never understood why they have the police mustangs in indiana. Dont they get sketchy in the winter?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Well, don't really see much of an advantage if the SUV's not gonna have 4wd / AWD.

To me, it's just a cost factor. I suppose it's 'cool' to have tons of gee-gaws and doo-dads. But not when communities are on a tight dollar, as MOST are in this current era.

FWIW, when looking at any sort of cruiser, one of the primary considerations should be front interior width, seat width, etc. As noted above, wearing a Sam Browne with a sidearm on one side, radio on the other, mag / speedloader pouches, handcuff case(es), etc. makes an Officer about 8" or so 'wider' at the hips than in street clothes.

I agree additional room needs to be a consideration, but one of the PRIMARY points should be room behind the wheel, 'cause you know that someone's going to be sitting there if that vehicle's in operation.

I don't see the need for 'ninja' wheels or other such trivialities UNLESS it's necessary to the function of the vehicle. Cruisers don't need to 'look cool', unless that's a side benefit. Their first priority is function.

Of course, I only see a VERY limited need for un-marked cars. With RARE exception, ALL police vehicles should be conspicuously marked. Nor do I see ANY need for 'covert' cars EXCEPT for decided undercover work. No traffic or patrol Mustangs, Camaros, etc.

Nor do I see much need, for MOST police, for camo, 'ninja' BDU's, etc. Police aren't 'black ops', or 'covert' work, nor 'spies', nor 'James Bond', nor 'ninjas', for the vast majority of police work. They represent their community, and should look like the 'most upstanding' of citizens, not thugs, gang-members, or ninjas. WAY too much of that nowadays, and for NO justifiable reason.

The markings On the cars isn't what I was looking for because it will lead to arguments. Same with what uniform they wear. Just not important in this thread. But I'm not your boss just asking to keep this thread civil because maybe we can help out our Leo's or at least come up with ideas to lobby our officials who hold the purse strings or the pull to point things in a direction.

The officer that was shot at MIT in his cruiser got me thinking of this topic. I don't know if he ever saw it coming but it made me think that's a ****ty way to die especially if you were in a bind and slowed down because of how you ha to get out of a low car with all your gear on. It just bothered me for some reason (well obvious reasons), hence the discussion here.

So it's not about marked or unmarked nor the cops clothing. I'm looking for vehicle performance based discussions please.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I've noticed a lot more SUVs for the Munster PD this year. Actually the SUV seem to be the norm, and the Crown Vics seem to be much fewer and far between.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    kind of makes sense to me...

The big police cars are gone. Caprice and now the Crown Vic have gone the way of the do do. They are now downsized to the taurus or the charger.

In addition, police have more gear they have to transport.

More gear plus smaller car seems to equal all that is left on the market, the SUV.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree with whoever posted above about the 4x4.
    If your gonna go with a truck or SUV then go with the 4x4/awd

The problem is that when you do that, you introduce a higher center of gravity, and, more important, a higher cost when comparable price is a significant issue in being able to trade up.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The SUVs are certainly nice and, as said before, will out perform a crown vic. The price tag all policed out is only a couple hundred more (like 2-3). That being said the best police car out there right now is ford all wheel drive eco boost twin turbo. It will flatten your eyeballs with acceleration and you can't make it lose traction in the corners. It keeps up with the corvette and gets 30 something MPG.

Someone mentioned the Ford Mustangs. The issue with those is initially the state bacon purchased a bunch of bare bones v-8 mustangs that weren't pursuit rated and burned through transmissions and engines as they didn't have an oil cooler, BIG engine cooler, or transmission cooler. I think they have rectified that situation since. Police cars are either accelerating or stopping and that's it.

The worst police car was the old 2002 and up impala...the brakes were the size and thickness of a coffee cup saucer. In a lights and siren run to a bank robbery or shooting you could only apply the brakes once during the trip as you wouldn't be able to stop any time afterwards.

As far as someone walking up and shooting you goes...**** happens. It's happened here in indy several times in IPD's past. Unless you put a proximity alarm or have your head on a swivel or bullet proof glass, if someone wants to shoot you they're gonna shoot you the vehicle itself really doesn't matter.

EDIT just read the 4x4 thing. Unfortunately you can't have a "pursuit rated" 4x4 the closed option is the all wheel drive ford.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    the Ford Interceptor sedan (Taurus) is dimensionally the same in the interior as the CVPI according to Ford. Its a pretty good car IMHO.

Top Bottom