• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have not read all the comments, but most of them. I did not see anyone mention that the citizen who helped is shown in a photo wearing a cervical collar. There were some posters that mentioned that they would have intervened but not used a firearm and one of those stated that he thought that if there was just one person that it was no problem for him. It is noteworthy that a person in a cervical collar cannot be involved in a struggle of any kind without very serious risk even if they are capable, which is unlikely itself.

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I would definitely intervene. What amount of force needed to maKe the situation safe would have to be evaluated at that time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnUYKFU0OqM
    Once she got out of the hospital with basiclly a cruched face/scull she spent the rest of her carrier at a desk cause she was unable to function as a street officer needs to

Dad of the year ?

Umm- YES with every drop of **** and viniger I have in me !

He is up for the smartest man on the planet award.

I would assist. At what level would be a decision made at the time. Just think about this, has anyone ever been smacked square in the head with a full size stainless 1911. It is a game changer I guarantee.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    if im not mistaken.. isn't it the law to intervene unless you have a really good reason?

I don't think the law reads that way.

I was once told that it is the law for doctors, EMTs, first responders that if they didn't stop, say, at an accident and they were identified (EMT license plate or something) that they could be in legal trouble. I don't know how truthful that is.

I do know that the self defense law does say that if you're defending yourself or a third person you won't be put into legal jeopardy.

As far as the original question, yes, if I saw an officer, or anyone in a struggle like that, I would assess the level of force needed, my understanding of the balance of power (man beating woman) or victim vs. assailant (officer down, man on man). The situation determines the action, whether I can kick someone in the head to stop the assault, (no, not being a mall ninja, just using it as an example) hold them at gunpoint, or use deadly force.

I'm also of the same mind that I would not like to find out what I would do, but I would do so in a flash.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I would definately step in to assist. I would expect the same from anyone else in turn. If I were down and having my arse handed to me after putting 4 rounds into a guy... at that point I would be grateful for whatever assistance could be afforded. If it came to me pumping lead into another person and he is still coming for me - he is obviously not my friend; and it is quite easy to kill or maim another person with your bare hands. :twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have already answered the question for myself.

I have stopped my car and subdued and stopped the assault on a Police Officer. I don't really care what it was all about. That can be sorted out later by the people who survived the encounter and the Judge.

I would do it again without hesitation or second thought.

I hope all of you would do the same.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I do know that the self defense law does say that if you're defending yourself or a third person you won't be put into legal jeopardy.

Close but not quite there. Generally speaking, and I am not a lawyer, the law gives us the right to self defense for others only as it would be proper for ourselves.

If we replace the third party that we are defending with ourselves, and it would not be legal to claim self defense for ourselves, it is not then legal to claim self defense for the third party that we defended.

For example, if Sam threatens Fred with a knife, and Fred then hits Sam with a club, I cannot pull out my gun and shoot Fred, claiming self defense for Sam's sake.

This is because if I threaten Fred with a knife, and he then hits me with a club, I cannot pull out my gun and shoot Fred, claiming self defense for myself.

This applies whether or not I know the circumstances surrounding the altercation between Sam and Fred. This is one of the major reasons why it is dangerous to walk into the middle of a situation and take lethal action against one party.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Once she got out of the hospital with basiclly a cruched face/scull she spent the rest of her carrier at a desk cause she was unable to function as a street officer needs to

Dad of the year ?

Umm- YES with every drop of **** and viniger I have in me !
    You're not a LEO, are you?

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have become a nation of citizens who are soft and afraid of getting our hands dirty. We're addicted to convenience and disposable crap. There are a large contingent of folks afraid of litigation that can watch a woman beaten at a bar or a man gunned down in the street. They should be charged with "apathy of humanity" and shunned ... however it doesn't work that way.

It boils down to the whole "can you look in the mirror" and deal with your cowardice? I would like to think that my children would follow my example and know I'm no hero but a simple guy who thought doing the right thing was more important

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    if im not mistaken.. isn't it the law to intervene unless you have a really good reason?

To be charged with Refusal to Aid an Officer, you have to be ordered by the officer to assist him/her.

IC 35-44.1-3-3 Refusal to aid an officer
    Sec. 3. A person who, when ordered by a law enforcement officer to assist the officer in the execution of the officer's duties, knowingly or intentionally, and without a reasonable cause, refuses to assist commits refusal to aid an officer, a Class B misdemeanor. As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "What time is it?"
    "I dunno."
    "You're under arrest for refusal to aid an officer without reasonable cause. Even if the jury ultimately acquits you or the prosecutor just cuts you loose, you still get to waste thousands and thousands of your own dollars and days and days of your life dealing with this bogus, BS charge just because you didn't play the compliant little prole and do what the super-citizen police officer told you."

ChrisBarnes

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Greenfield/Cumberland area
    I would and have assisted a LEO that was on duty. I did not have to shoot anyone but I did tackle his ass to the ground. He was running across the parking lot at Castleton Square Mall and I was getting out of my car and heard the command to stop stop stop...So I stopped him for the officer. Let me just say I am not a little guy and he was...lol...I did my good deed for the day and would do it again and again whatever it takes to assist the public.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    To be charged with Refusal to Aid an Officer, you have to be ordered by the officer to assist him/her.

IC 35-44.1-3-3 Refusal to aid an officer
    Sec. 3. A person who, when ordered by a law enforcement officer to assist the officer in the execution of the officer's duties, knowingly or intentionally, and without a reasonable cause, refuses to assist commits refusal to aid an officer, a Class B misdemeanor. As added by P.L.126-2012, SEC.54.

That law just cracks me up. Don't get me wrong I'm helping if they need it...but if someone didn't feel comfortable or capable of helping they shouldn't be breaking a law by not helping.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom