southern indiana
    bobcat006.jpg

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Why doesn't someone just release some and see what happens?

Somebody did release wild hogs in southern Indiana a few years back.
    The folks that raise pigs didn't like it because of disease potential and DNR didn't like it because wild hogs are a wrecking crew for habitat, also area residents like me weren't thrilled about the notion of running into a sow with piglets during a family mushroom hunt.
    Attempts were made to eradicate them and as far as I know they were successful.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Somebody did release wild hogs in southern Indiana a few years back.
    The folks that raise pigs didn't like it because of disease potential and DNR didn't like it because wild hogs are a wrecking crew for habitat, also area residents like me weren't thrilled about the notion of running into a sow with piglets during a family mushroom hunt.
    Attempts were made to eradicate them and as far as I know they were successful.

I was referring to Big Oaks. It is fairly well fenced and would probably keep them contained for the most part. I know it is federally managed so my thinking was that the feds would probably just let it slide if they ever did find a population within their boundries? :dunno:

db308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Girlfriend's family member got pics of one while turkey hunting this spring, on the property that borders the backside of the Martinsville Consvation Club.
    It got withing about 20 feet of him before he made some noise to chase it off.

Bobcat hit and killed on the west side of Columbus ~ June 18th 2012.
    The Republic - Bobcat hit and killed on west side of Columbus - Columbus, Indiana

Also:

<quote>
    Bobcat on the Prowl

The Republic photos by Joe Harpring
    Columbus resident and trapper Tim Rose releases a bobcat, a few hours after catching it in Bartholomew County and reporting it to Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Sunday, November 21, 2004
    Endangered species found in cage by trapper near Columbus city limits
    By Marla Miller
    editorial@therepublic.com

Tim Rose’s routine trap check turned hissy when he came upon a detained kitty.
    The fussy feline didn’t stray from a warm house or barn haystack. Rather, it seems it meandered across Rose’s coyote trap while roaming in a marshy habitat near Columbus’ city limits.
    When Rose closed in to inspect, he realized he had caught an Indiana endangered species.
    “The first thing I thought is ‘Oh my gosh, I got a mountain lion,’” he said. “Then I thought, this must be somebody’s escaped pet. Then I realized ‘Oh gosh, it’s a bobcat.’”
    Capturing a bobcat was an extremely unusual snag — one that had Rose on the phone to trapper friends and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
    Since bobcats are a protected species, Rose secured the unhurt animal in a cage and notified the Division of Fish and Wildlife. He confirmed it did not have a radio collar or ear tag, which are being used by the state to track bobcats, and a biologist told him to release the animal back into the wild. The division is sending him a map to record the sighting.
    Rose also called a Republic photographer to have proof of the capture and release.
    “It just walked out of the cage and growled at us and ran off,” he said. “It was amazing. It was more scared of us.”
    Rose started trapping coyotes about two years ago and caught more than 100 last year. He normally checks his traps in the early morning, between 4 and 6:30 a.m. He discovered the bobcat Monday in an undisclosed location. He also said he could not determine its gender.
    “The interesting thing is it wasn’t caught too far from the city limits,” he said. “It had a very good food source and good cover. It’s a swamp-type area.”
    In their studies, biologists have discovered bobcats are solitary, nomadic animals, especially males. There’s really no way to tell whether Bartholomew County has a new, permanent member of the cat family, said Cassie Hudson, a research assistant with the Division of Fish and Wildlife.
    “It’s hard to say if he’s a resident of that area or just traveling through,” she said, adding one collared cat made it all the way to St. Louis before getting hit by a car.
    “Males generally have a larger home range coming into winter months because that’s mating season.”
    The Division of Fish and Wildlife’s began the study in December 1998, according to the Web page in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publications/lifeseries/bobcat.htm. The DNR’s Indiana Wildlife Diversity Section also sponsors the Track a Bobcat Project, which allows the public to help in the effort.
    The project is focused on south central Indiana. Each December, bobcats are trapped, radio collared and then tracked to determine habitat use, home range, reproduction and abundance. They can be monitored for about 17 months, which is how long the radio collar’s battery lasts, Hudson said.
    “We haven’t really had a chance to number crunch,” she said. “We’re still collecting data. This coming winter should be our last trapping season.
    “We see visual observations of cats with kittens. As far as knowing if the numbers are decreasing or increasing, it’s hard to say.”
    Data gathered from the study will be used to create management guidelines. In the future, biologists hope to remove the bobcat from the endangered species list.
    The animals, which look strikingly like housecats except for their size, roamed throughout Indiana before pioneers moved in. Loss of habitat due to forest clearing and new settlements in remote areas probably caused the drastic population decline, according to the DNR’s Web site.
    As a result, the bobcat was classified as endangered in 1969, providing full protection for this rare species. The DNR created a database in 1989 to record bobcat sightings. A total of 38 confirmed bobcat sightings have been recorded along with dozens of unconfirmed reports.
    Data accumulated to date suggests that bobcats occur at moderate levels in the forested, south central portion of the state, and to a lesser extent, in the natural lakes region of northwest Indiana, according to the site.
    In neighboring Ohio and Illinois, the bobcat is considered a rare species. Bobcats are more common in Michigan and Kentucky, where they are a game species trapped for their valuable fur.
    </quote>

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    if you want to see one.. meet me at my farm in southern indiana (perry county) i have one living in the tac room of our barn. if it reproduces we will "trap" the pups and they will go to a wildlife rehab center and taken away. these this have DESTROYED the turkey population all around. no, they do no 'harm' to humans unless they would sence danger.. but i don't like themm! lol
    but i promise i've never shot at one.. :nailbite:

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    how did you release it?

I've seen one (assuming the same one) twice near the Clark cabin and boat ramp in Clarksville.

Really that close to me I might have to wait around there to see if I can spot it I wouldnt think they would be that close maybe its den is in the loop wetlands area?
    Or did you confuse a INGO member for a wild animal as I do frequent there on my bike rides

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Really that close to me I might have to wait around there to see if I can spot it I wouldnt think they would be that close maybe its den is in the loop wetlands area?
    Or did you confuse a INGO member for a wild animal as I do frequent there on my bike rides
    If you are familiar with the area, the open field just east of the bridge is where I've seen it. The first time I saw it, I wasn't 100% sure of what I saw, but the second time confirmed it. That is about 500 yards from my house.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    There are plenty of bobcats in Southern Indiana these days. I probably have 300 trailcam pictures of bobcats in Indiana... cameras intentionally set to capture predators (using bait/lures/urine/ect). We call in a couple every year while targeting coyotes as well.

I have 7 cameras running right now and hope to retrieve some good photos this weekend, hoping to get my first set of "kittens" on film.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I had my cam out for a month before I checked it. Didn't have any kitty pics this go round. Hoping the one that showed up last year is still in the area. Only had 2 pics of it though. One in September and the other in December.

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    how did you release it?

co held tarp over him while i released the trap..

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    They have been around for a long time.. My dad and uncle have heard them in our woods in Northern Indiana as long ago as 45yrs. Just not real common up north as they seem to be south.

Top Bottom