• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    The 1911 is a great firearm that just dont fit my hand well. Had a pretty Colt Officers model that was just too much work to shoot well. The joints in my fingers are in just the wrong place to point instinctively. But.... I have shot two Para Ordnace (.40 & .45) double stacks and they fit my hand much better. If I ever buy another 1911 it will be a double stack.

Mike

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I have had 1911s since 1984 or '86....I carry a full size 1911 daily. I love the 1911 and t fits my hand like a glove. I trust a 1911. Two years ago I came across an American Classic II at a gun show for a little over $400 and bought it. The slide to frame fit was tight but did not gall. It has beaver tail grip safety, Novak style sights, lowered ejection port, commander style hammer, 3 hole trigger, etc..

The trigger job out of the box is between 4-5 lbs. accuracy is great both off- hand and bench rest. Has fed everything from hollow points to cheap Russian Walmart ammo.

It came with a magazine but I do not like it. If you load it wih a full 8 rounds it will cause a failure to feed on the second round. After that, it feeds well so I use it for a Barney may when I compete. Buy some Chip McCormick or Wilson magazines and you are good to go.

I tried the RIAs but have not found one yet that is as tight as my ACII. When American Handgunner magazine did an article on "Beer Budget 1911s" the American Classic II and the RIA were their two top choices.

I have shot this pistol do much that I now carry it daily. The finish is beginning wear a bit but at this point, I don't mind.

GONZO!!!

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I agree with the previous comment that slide length isn't as big of an issue in concealing as grip length is...particularly with a good IWB holster. My 1911s are govt length slides.

I have a Remington R1 Enhanced and think it is a good beginning choice. I don't think you would go wrong with a RIA either. SAs are good from all I have heard and in my limited experience with them. Kimber wouldn't be a bad choice either.

As my 1911 fund has been depleted for now liberating one from Perry, MO I haven't been looking to closely at prices, etc for the past 2-3 months.

Interesting time right now with several good options out there from several makers!

An interesting read: Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had 1911s since 1984 or '86....I carry a full size 1911 daily. I love the 1911 and t fits my hand like a glove. I trust a 1911. Two years ago I came across an American Classic II at a gun show for a little over $400 and bought it. The slide to frame fit was tight but did not gall. It has beaver tail grip safety, Novak style sights, lowered ejection port, commander style hammer, 3 hole trigger, etc..

The trigger job out of the box is between 4-5 lbs. accuracy is great both off- hand and bench rest. Has fed everything from hollow points to cheap Russian Walmart ammo.

It came with a magazine but I do not like it. If you load it wih a full 8 rounds it will cause a failure to feed on the second round. After that, it feeds well so I use it for a Barney may when I compete. Buy some Chip McCormick or Wilson magazines and you are good to go.

I tried the RIAs but have not found one yet that is as tight as my ACII. When American Handgunner magazine did an article on "Beer Budget 1911s" the American Classic II and the RIA were their two top choices.

I have shot this pistol do much that I now carry it daily. The finish is beginning wear a bit but at this point, I don't mind.

GONZO!!!

Comment on the FTF. Did you polish the feed ramp? It took care of my FTF issue. I did not get aggressive with the polishing. I have well over 10k rounds threw my LSI. It is my daily carry. I just bought a second 1911. It's a RIA and the trigger feels a little lighter. I haven't field stripped it yet or fired it. I will go over it before I shoot it. 1911's are addicting. I have around $500 each in to both guns. It will serve you well if you keep it clean! I would not carry a gun that doesn't have a few hundred rounds threw it. And I would not use any brand ammo in my carry till you have shot 150+ rounds of it. And mine to is showing it's wear after a couple years. I still love it!

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    @ 1911ly...yes, the feed ramp is polished albeit not as much as I would like. There is only one person around here who I have heard that is THE 1911 guy to go to. He runs the small gun shop in Logansport. However he has a long waiting list so I wait. And it truly is the magazine. I have run countless rounds in my ACII and the only FTF is from the ACT brand mag that came with it. It is only good as a "Barney Mag" to load from when I am on the line.

GONZO!!!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My favorite 1911 for carry is a Kimber Stainless Compact II. It's got the officer sized grip and a 4" barrel. The shorter grip helps conceal it better and the shorter barrel makes it easier to both conceal and carry. That extra inch of barrel can poke below an untucked shirt and tends to dig into my hip when sitting.

Right now though, my favorite 1911 is a Colt Delta Elite. I do carry it, but it's not my normal carry gun. I really love shooting this thing, but since it's in 10mm, it does not help your .45 ACP deficit.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My favorite 1911 for carry is a Kimber Stainless Compact II. It's got the officer sized grip and a 4" barrel. The shorter grip helps conceal it better and the shorter barrel makes it easier to both conceal and carry. That extra inch of barrel can poke below an untucked shirt and tends to dig into my hip when sitting.

Right now though, my favorite 1911 is a Colt Delta Elite. I do carry it, but it's not my normal carry gun. I really love shooting this thing, but since it's in 10mm, it does not help your .45 ACP deficit.
    I have to admit to being somewhat apprehensive about going down the Kimber road. While many people swear by them, many others only swear at them. I have no experience with them so I really don't know what to think.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    @ 1911ly...yes, the feed ramp is polished albeit not as much as I would like. There is only one person around here who I have heard that is THE 1911 guy to go to. He runs the small gun shop in Logansport. However he has a long waiting list so I wait. And it truly is the magazine. I have run countless rounds in my ACII and the only FTF is from the ACT brand mag that came with it. It is only good as a "Barney Mag" to load from when I am on the line.

GONZO!!!

Are you referring to Burkhart or Downham?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I've been to and through Michigantown several times. Where do you shoot? I shoot in Lafayette usually. I have several guns you might be interested in trying out. Most of them are CZs.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom