• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheGunDen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Shelbyville IN
    Well, all I can say is, we always let our customers dry fire guns in my shop, never had an issue in 30+ years.

Silly to try to sell someone a gun without letting them kick the tires in my opinion.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Its a insurance policy. Because inevitably some retard is going to come in, not check the chamber and bam front-line news "LOCAL GUNSTORE OWNER KILLED BY OWN GUN!!!!!"

Same thing as with the no gun policy in banks. If something happens then they can hide behind a policy and remain at least semi-isolated from lawsuits.

Its not a business practice I like, but I can blame anyone for having it. You'd be surprised how many idiots really are out there when you enter the retail world.

Random dude: "hey how much is this?"
    Me: Um let me just look at the 6 price tags conveniently located on each side of the box for you, yup thats the price alright.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Ive been there done that and I told the seller just about what others said on here, how will I know if I want to buy it if I cant try it out.

I really used to drive the sellers nuts when I was a young kid and could take apart and put back together any handgun I had ever seen. I was young and didnt bother asking first which wasnt a good thing though. Oh well live and learn. As you stated its your choice to buy there or somewhere else.

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    That's why whenever I buy or sell a gun I always bring a snap cap so myself or the buyer can try the gun without offending anyone. That being said, I NEVER dry fire ANY of my guns. I feel people should always use snap caps or o-rings as a precaution.

Oh yeah, wasn't a revolver either. Was actually a newer (last 4 years I think) CZ.

And shame on you for treating a CZ like that :(. I think someone already mentioned the older models had a problem with brittle firing pins. I would imagine they fixed that but still, why take the chance?

jdgatliff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Check out Plainfield shooting sports. He double checked the chamber and handed me the Glock and said try out the trigger. That was my first time with a Glock and sold me immediately on my Glock 27!:D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Great way to loose a possible sale.

First I had to ask you to remove the trigger lock after you handed me the gun, and then I get this condescending crap as your taking the trigger lock off.

:noway:

Granted, it was a hammer fired handgun, but I always dry fire everything I own, except for .22s. How the heck else am I suppose to get a feel for the trigger and proper function of the weapon?

So, what say you, is it ok to dry fire? Hasn't hurt anything I own.

So long as it's not pointed at me or any one I care about and it belongs to you, do what ever you want.

Don't dry fire anything that belongs to me. My guns are loaded. Always loaded. Any gun that's pointed at me or any one I care about is loaded and I will react in an appropriate manner.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You should have looked at the guy for a moment then picked
    up the gun and started making slide racking sounds with your mouth
    then pointing at something on the wall going "pew.... pew... pew"

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Yes rimfire

+1 on the rimfire,
    My .22 western field, aka Mossburg 502 Palamino "rimfire"
    firing pin WILL break in half if it gets dry fired Its happend to me twice, the 2nd time wasnt my friggn fault but my brothers. the 3rd one won't get dry fired....

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was in Bradis this evening. I looked at a couple Blackhawks and a few single sixes and even a Smith 29. Some how I managed to cock the hammer, try the trigger, try the double action, all I wanted and never once dry fired a weapon. Never used any candy butt snap plastic crap and never even pointed it at any one else.

Yeah, I must be super man.:rolleyes:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Someone told me to jam a foam earplug behind the firing pin to cushion the hammer fall while dry firing. Seemed to make sense to me, so I now practice that way and take one with me to the shop if I think there's a chance something might catch my fancy...

If anyone still declined to let me dry fire a potential purchase I would absolutely walk away.

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    I was in Bradis this evening. I looked at a couple Blackhawks and a few single sixes and even a Smith 29. Some how I managed to cock the hammer, try the trigger, try the double action, all I wanted and never once dry fired a weapon. Never used any candy butt snap plastic crap and never even pointed it at any one else.

Yeah, I must be super man.:rolleyes:

+1 Jack! To me there is a BIG difference between checking the trigger on a handgun and just "snapping" away with one. I have had idiots come up to my table at shows and just grab a gun and start snapping. That always illicits a good response from me!
    You are absolutely right in what you said.

Now, one time, I was in a shop in Hamilton county, and asked to look at an H+R 22 revolver. This is the type that has a loading gate like a SAA. It was handed to me without the clerk checking to see if it was loaded. I was taught to always check before you hand one over and since it was not, I flipped the loading gate down. OMG, you would have thought I crapped on their showcase! The owner jerked the gun from my hand and began yelling at me DO NOT DRYFIRE MY GUNS! He said this is an unfired collectors item and he did not want it f****d up.

The price tag on this unfired collectors item was a hefty $99.00.

I left and never returned.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just got back from an expensive trip to Bradis. All over the store they had signs stating not to dry fire any weapon. They have been in business a long time. What do they know???

While I didn't ask if they provide snap caps for checking trigger pull, with the variety of firearms they have, they would need a zillion snap caps. Point is, if you must pull the trigger before buying (and I agree knowing how it feels is important) then bring your own snap cap for the round needed.

And seeing the no dry firing signs didn't stop me from walking out with a nice pistol. THANKS MARK!!

Top Bottom