• ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Great way to loose a possible sale.

First I had to ask you to remove the trigger lock after you handed me the gun, and then I get this condescending crap as your taking the trigger lock off.

:noway:

Granted, it was a hammer fired handgun, but I always dry fire everything I own, except for .22s. How the heck else am I suppose to get a feel for the trigger and proper function of the weapon?

So, what say you, is it ok to dry fire? Hasn't hurt anything I own.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's bad for many rimfire guns, older Smiths with the firing pin on the hammer, some other guns. Many guns, it doesn't hurt a bit.

I won't buy a new gun that I know dry firing won't hurt until I've tried the trigger, period. If a gun store doesn't want to let me try the trigger, that's their choice, but I won't buy the gun from them. That's my choice.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    What Joe said. Dryfire won't hurt most firearms, and it's mostly the rimfire firearms you have to be careful with. Most of the time, if I can't test the trigger, I won't buy the firearm. If you are a condescending jackarse, you WILL lose the sale each and every time.

joe138

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Heltonville
    Had the same thing happen a few years ago at the 1500. Got crap for dry firing. Move to another table a few tables away and dry fired and bought the same gun. Don't understand how anyone can expect to sell a gun without allowing it to handled/dry fired. Unless is a collectors piece, rimfire or something similiar.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    As said above, I wouldn't buy a gun without dry firing it. Unless of course it was a rimfire. What did you say back to him when he told you not to dry fire?

I said "oh, really? I dry fire everything I own."....... expecting some kind of reply. Then "here you go, thanks".

'and out the door I went'.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Dry firing the older CZ 75's will damage the firing pin, but I don't think it's a problem on the newer ones. Maybe he just wasn't taking any chances.

This was a 40P, so it had to be 2006 or 2007, maybe 2008.

For being a new-ish gun, it was sure rough.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have an older Ruger 10/22 that the manual recommends dry firing to get a feel of the trigger before loading it for the first time! Actually the only rimfire I have seen that states that it at least was ok. Don't know about the newer ones.

Many pistol manufacturers recommend using that really odd thing called a snap cap. All that worrying about hurting a firing pin or hammer or anything else now becomes worry free with a ... snap cap.

Yes I carry snap caps of the size needed for weapons I intend to buy, except for the obvious AK and the like that are designed that nothing can hurt them short of a steam roller. ;)

If sellers are so worried about dry firing their weapons, they should provide you with a snap cap. Would make life so much easier.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I always ask first.

I was at Gander Mountain in Terre Haute a few weeks ago and was looking at one of two Beretta 3032's (used) they had. I asked if I could dry fire them AND if I could field strip. Yes to both and I took one home.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just don't understand how a company can act a certain way and expect to be around... I can understand that he may not want something dry fired, but it's how you say it that makes all the difference. You can say no in a very professional and nice way, or you can say it in the manner you write about and lose a customer.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have an older Ruger 10/22 that the manual recommends dry firing to get a feel of the trigger before loading it for the first time! Actually the only rimfire I have seen that states that it at least was ok. Don't know about the newer ones.

Ruger 10/22 is one of the rimfires it is perfectly fine to dry practice with. New ones included.

An earlier poster is correct that dry practice with a CZ52 can and will damage the firing pin very quickly. Newer manufactured replacement pins makes dry fire acceptable, this issue with the CZ52's pin is the metal they used.

Dry practicing with any modern centerfire pistol is perfectly fine. Including the CZ in question.

Asking a gun shop employee about a firearm is like asking a cop about the law, you're more likely to get an inncorect answer delivered with a snarky attitude than an informed answer.

And just so the terminology nazi can rear it's ugly head: dry firing is impossible. It's dry practice ;)

Top Bottom