• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    870 Tactical with factory extension and upgraded follower. The stock is supposed to be one off an old police 870 and was refinished by a member here. The wood made it heftier but I like it. I figure for home defense it's ok. The stock definitely made the shotgun my favorite gun in the collection currently.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Zoub
    I think the minimum number of 870's needed to be happy in life is 4.

"original quote by CEREBUS"
    Dang I'm one short

I can never catch up. Every time I get close 1 of my sons moves out and takes one with him.:shoot:

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is an 18" barrel as well. I hope to keep the shotgun looking this good but make no mistake it is a working gun!

I have been trying to figure out if I should;

1. Try to find a Police model
    2. Buy the tactical model and find some wood for it
    3. Buy a standard 870 Express and upgrade the magazine and barrel

Number 1 might be tough to find.
    Number 2 would work out of the box and I could find some wood and refinish it and have something similar to yours.
    Number 3 seems like it would be the most expensive, but I would have an extra barrel for when I wanted to shoot a longer barrel.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Number 2 would work out of the box and I could find some wood and refinish it and have something similar to yours.
    Number 3 seems like it would be the most expensive, but I would have an extra barrel for when I wanted to shoot a longer barrel.

My "tactical" is a retired surplus shotgun. It is nothing more than a parkerized wingmaster with police style stocks. She aint pretty but she is smooth as silk.
    I'll give you another option. Find a cheap used wingmaster and buy whichever barrel you dont have.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My "tactical" is a retired surplus shotgun. It is nothing more than a parkerized wingmaster with police style stocks. She aint pretty but she is smooth as silk.
    I'll give you another option. Find a cheap used wingmaster and buy whichever barrel you dont have.

Good Idea. I'll add that to the "list".

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Wow, mine has a different barrel. Where did you locate that barrel or did it come on the gun?

It came from the factory with that barrel. This is a 2013 production 870. Not sure if that means anything. It might look different because of the factory extension. I'd be hard pressed to find a longer barrel for it without modifying it. I'm not concerned though since I never have hunted and don't see myself doing it soon unfortunately.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...

Look in Shotgun News. If I remember correctly I saw an ad for old 870 police shotguns for no more than maybe $250. Not sure if they still have any but they are out there and cheap. My tactical doesn't retail cheap and I haven't seen one used.

If I could do it again I'd look for a police 870 or older Wingmaster and throw on an extension and wood stock. The tactical was just more convenient for me for a few reasons and there's nothing wrong with it, but I feel one could piece together something similar to what I have, cheaper. Also if you throw on an aftermarket extension and you wanted a "do-all" shotgun for hunting and HD all you'd have to do is remove the added on extension and throw on a longer barrel easily. Because my barrel was made to accommodate the factory extension it is unlikely I could find a longer barrel for it if I ever wanted to hunt. I'm actually considering have choke threads put on the barrel so I could choke it if needed. Would the choke on the 18" barrel be as effective as a choke on a 24" barrel? Probably not but it would improve shot patterns enough if I needed to hunt with my 870.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Look in Shotgun News. If I remember correctly I saw an ad for old 870 police shotguns for no more than maybe $250. Not sure if they still have any but they are out there and cheap. My tactical doesn't retail cheap and I haven't seen one used.

If I could do it again I'd look for a police 870 or older Wingmaster and throw on an extension and wood stock. The tactical was just more convenient for me for a few reasons and there's nothing wrong with it, but I feel one could piece together something similar to what I have, cheaper. Also if you throw on an aftermarket extension and you wanted a "do-all" shotgun for hunting and HD all you'd have to do is remove the added on extension and throw on a longer barrel easily. Because my barrel was made to accommodate the factory extension it is unlikely I could find a longer barrel for it if I ever wanted to hunt. I'm actually considering have choke threads put on the barrel so I could choke it if needed. Would the choke on the 18" barrel be as effective as a choke on a 24" barrel? Probably not but it would improve shot patterns enough if I needed to hunt with my 870.

I would guess you could find a choke that would make it viable for hunting if you chose to go that route at some point. But shotguns seem to multiply like rabbits, so a sporting model would show up if you descided to take up hunting.

Top Bottom