• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I've got a Magpul Stock, Surefire Forend, Mesa Side Saddle, XS Big Dot Front Sight (Epoxies right over front bead), and an OSOE point sling. It's exactly how I want it.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    All I want, and nothing I don't need. Simplicity and efficiency. Beautiful.

870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.ashx

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to hijack since this question is related. Why do people put pistol grips on a shotgun? I haven't shot one, but I have been shotgunning since I was 11 years old and I would think it would be uncomfortable to have my wrist in that position compared to a standard stock.

I probably just need to be enlightened....

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Not to hijack since this question is related. Why do people put pistol grips on a shotgun? I haven't shot one, but I have been shotgunning since I was 11 years old and I would think it would be uncomfortable to have my wrist in that position compared to a standard stock.

Plain pistol grips are pretty much useless unless you are gonna shoot at a range where sights are unnecessary and you need the super short length to conceal it. Pistol grip stocks offer more control (like in any firearm platform). I, like you, have been using a shotgun since I was a kid. I am as fast as possible at shotgun ranges with a normal stock and a bead unless I am shooting slugs at 50 yards or better. In which case, the stock 870 rifle sights are faster than any ghost ring ever made and offer a fine sight plane for a long gun that will rarely go to 50 yds let alone 100 even though they are capable of both in stock condition. I think a lot of the gidgets and gadgets are 1. a sales gimmick and 2. features that allow guys who learned to shoot on military rifles to easily transition to shotgun shooting.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    I actually love the looks of the Magpul 870, but to each his own. I sure wasn't about to pay top (crazy) dollar for it, so I built my own. +2 tube, stock and forend, G&G follower and springs, 6-round Mesa side-saddle, single point sling and an XS BigDot. I also :poop:-canned that stupid breacher choke, it was REALLY good for was scratching every other thing it touched and nothing else.

With no spacers in the stock it is quite handy. My only criticism is that it's a hefty beast, though that does work to soak up a lot of recoil.

View attachment 22574

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Minus the tacticool safe/gun-ruining choke, an 870 is hard to beat.

I like this one also without the breacher choke, if that is what it's called. What model is this?

I think I would like to pick up an older 870 Police if I could fine one cheap.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    How I have my 870s. Scattergun Technologies (before Wilson bought them--yes, I am friggin' old, deal with it) "FBI Model":

Oh! I love this game! Lemme take a stab at it...I know it is a gun, It is either an over under or that is possibly a bipod that is folded up. I'm going to say it is setup for a pizza delivery guy or paper boy because I think I can make out a coin changer strapped to the side. Is this a photoshop gag that is supposed to look like a gun was found in King Tut's tomb? I see the mini sphinx and bowl next to it is why I ask. I give up, I'm just guessing now, either remove the blurring privacy filter app, let us see it, or just spill the beans already. :):

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    My 870 that I put together for work started life as a Wingmaster. I put on an 18" Police barrel with TFO sight, SpeedFeed non-shellholding stock, Hogue forend, ERT Sling, Mesa side saddle, Choate mag extension and a TLR-1 on a mag tube mount. The 870 is plenty heavy without adding a bunch of stuff, especially when it holds 8 rounds in the gun plus 6 on the side. I wanted the mag extension and the saddle to keep as many on the gun as possible since I won't be carrying any reloads any other way. The light is a necessity for a work gun IMHO, especially since I work nights. I like the short LOP of the SpeedFeed stock and I wanted the pistol grip for a number of personal-fit reasons. The Hogue forend is extra grippy and I like that. The TFO sight is nice because it's a really big dot and it collects a lot of light and the tritium glows nicely in complete darkness. Having a sling is also a necessity on a work gun and I really like the ERT slings, mostly because they are very well made and partially because the owner of the company is a friend of mine. ;)

:postpics:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Thanks for all of the input and opinions! I am extremely happy with my 18.5" Synthetic Remington 870. It will do exactly what I need it to should the need arise. I am still planning on the Mesa Tactical high tube conversion and cerakote at some point down the road but for now I am going to stick that cash somewhere else (more ammo :yesway:).

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    All I want, and nothing I don't need. Simplicity and efficiency. Beautiful.

870-Express-Tactical-81198-prod.ashx
    Uh yeah......no. Want, sure you want that crap. Need, no.

Walk with me for a moment and let's talk:

Item #1 meat tenderizer on muzzle. On a moonless and dark night (we call it country dark) strip down to your underwear and tie a bandanna over your eyes and run through the house with that gun. Remove blindfold, what do you see? Stuck on the end of the barrel is your wife's prized Persian cat, 2 sets of drapes and the quilt handmade by your great grandmother. Dragging all that crap also caused you to accidentally blast the expensive new leather couch. The same couch the other cat was hiding behind. It also tears the hell out of any soft case you put it in.

Rail for an optic without a raised cheek piece equals lifting face off stock to see through optic. Double fail if optic costs more than the dead cats and you can't see through it.

Rear sight and raised front sight do not replace skills and for most people slow them down when they are already slow. If I am a hostage and you have that gun, please no surgical shots with it, go get an AR.

That horrid Remington OEM stock set. OK I admit this personal but go to a pawn shop and give the owner your stock set for free as a gesture of friendship, then pay him his asking price to pull a stock set off any random 870 on the rack.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Uh yeah......no. Want, sure you want that crap. Need, no.

Walk with me for a moment and let's talk:

Item #1 meat tenderizer on muzzle. On a moonless and dark night (we call it country dark) strip down to your underwear and tie a bandanna over your eyes and run through the house with that gun. Remove blindfold, what do you see? Stuck on the end of the barrel is your wife's prized Persian cat, 2 sets of drapes and the quilt handmade by your great grandmother. Dragging all that crap also caused you to accidentally blast the expensive new leather couch. The same couch the other cat was hiding behind. It also tears the hell out of any soft case you put it in.

Rail for an optic without a raised cheek piece equals lifting face off stock to see through optic. Double fail if optic costs more than the dead cats and you can't see through it.

Rear sight and raised front sight do not replace skills and for most people slow them down when they are already slow. If I am a hostage and you have that gun, please no surgical shots with it, go get an AR.

That horrid Remington OEM stock set. OK I admit this personal but go to a pawn shop and give the owner your stock set for free as a gesture of friendship, then pay him his asking price to pull a stock set off any random 870 on the rack.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI

In regards to a stock with PG, first issue is do not use it to eat recoil in your hand that is intended for your shoulder. Some people do this and complain that it hurts. Yes, yes it does and it would hurt more in my hand than yours. Don't be that guy.

As for defense there is no prize for fast just winning. If you want to reload and keep the gun shouldered and on target/down range a PG gives you much better ergonomics for holding a very heavy shotgun with one hand while you reload. It is also nice for carrying it muzzle down with one hand.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In regards to a stock with PG, first issue is do not use it to eat recoil in your hand that is intended for your shoulder. Some people do this and complain that it hurts. Yes, yes it does and it would hurt more in my hand than yours. Don't be that guy.

As for defense there is no prize for fast just winning. If you want to reload and keep the gun shouldered and on target/down range a PG gives you much better ergonomics for holding a very heavy shotgun with one hand while you reload. It is also nice for carrying it muzzle down with one hand.

I see. Thanks. I figured there were some good reasons to have one. I just couldn't think of any on my own. Recoil was one of the issues I could see with the PG. Makes sense to let the shoulder take the hit.

I once considered an auto loader that had the loading gate on the left side. Supposedly you could keep the gun in a ready position and load with the left hand. I tried it but it felt awkward so I bought a more standard bottom loader.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    And when that .223 goes through the BG, crosses the street and kills your neighbor.....then what?

That's why we old farts load with #4 shot and keep our stock 870's by the bed.

CHILDREN ??????

I was making a joke - don't want to hijack the OP's thread, but there's quite a bit of info out there that suggests that FMJ 5.56 is less likely to penetrate walls than buckshot or pistol rounds.

Actually, what I just wrote was incorrect - they will all penetrate wallboard, but the 5.56 is likely to do less damage after penetrating that the other types of projectiles.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I love my short shotty. Keep it simple, pump shotguns are extremely simple systems, no need to muck it all up with gadgets. This pic is 7 years old but it hasn't really changed much. The rifle on the other hand has.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Denny, You must live outside Indiana. What looks to me like a 14" barrel on your 870 wouldn't go over too well here. If they ever change the law I will do the same as you. For now I have to make do with a Witness Protection AOW. Nice looking shotty by the way.

Top Bottom