• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Alright guys I am looking to build a combat Remington 870. Point me in the right direction!

I plan to build this from the ground up. I am thinking that will save me some cash rather than modifying an already complete shotgun.

The main thing I am looking for and having a hard time finding is a receiver. I am looking for a receiver that looks like this: View attachment 22409

I also google image searched "combat Remington 870" to get some ideas for my build.. I saw an 870 with that appeared to be tube fed AND magazine fed. I don't know how that would be possible but it looked like this: View attachment 22410

Anyways, point me in the right direction guys. Post your builds and pics if you want. Share good sources for parts etc. Anything that might help me with the build would be appreciated!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I guess. If you can do better than the factory. I don't know where you are going to buy a receiver though.

Have you looked here?

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/pump-action-model-870.aspx

I am guessing you consider a shotgun with lots of doo-dads and add-ons to be worthy of the title of "combat shotgun"

I do not share that opinion. I want my shotguns as light and as free of extras as possible. It is a long arm that is used at pistol distances. Not much is needed in addition to the stock shotgun, IMO.

I like a gold dot up front or maybe a cutoff red WD40 tube for a front sight. Nothing more. If it holds 4, that is 3 more than I will need.

Last edited:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I guess. If you can do better than the factory. I don't know where you are going to buy a receiver though.

Have you looked here?

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/pump-action-model-870.aspx

I am guessing you consider a shotgun with lots of doo-dads and add-ons to be worthy of the title of "combat shotgun"

I do not share that opinion. I want my shotguns as light and as free of extras as possible. It is a long arm that is used at pistol distances. Not much is needed in addition to the stock shotgun, IMO.

I like a gold dot up front or maybe a cutoff red WD40 tube for a front sight. Nothing more. If it holds 4, that is 3 more than I will need.

Sometimes I wish my thought process was as practical as yours! I mean that with 100% sincerity. I know that in a home defense situation I would not need anything more than a pistol grip pump 12 ga from the factory... I just have the urge to build something out there.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My children and grandchildren have urges to re-invent stuff all the time as well. I let them follow their urges because they never listen anyway.

Good luck sir.

I really don't know where to buy 870 receivers or bolts unless you buy a shotgun from somebody.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My 870 that I put together for work started life as a Wingmaster. I put on an 18" Police barrel with TFO sight, SpeedFeed non-shellholding stock, Hogue forend, ERT Sling, Mesa side saddle, Choate mag extension and a TLR-1 on a mag tube mount. The 870 is plenty heavy without adding a bunch of stuff, especially when it holds 8 rounds in the gun plus 6 on the side. I wanted the mag extension and the saddle to keep as many on the gun as possible since I won't be carrying any reloads any other way. The light is a necessity for a work gun IMHO, especially since I work nights. I like the short LOP of the SpeedFeed stock and I wanted the pistol grip for a number of personal-fit reasons. The Hogue forend is extra grippy and I like that. The TFO sight is nice because it's a really big dot and it collects a lot of light and the tritium glows nicely in complete darkness. Having a sling is also a necessity on a work gun and I really like the ERT slings, mostly because they are very well made and partially because the owner of the company is a friend of mine. ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    When I carried my Police Magnum every night for work, I did have a streamlight flashlight fore-end on it. It got used a LOT. The same shotgun is in the corner of my bedroom but it is reverted to a no flashlight status. No need for a light on the shotty with all the night lights the wife is crazy about, all over in the house.

I did a lot of building searches with that shotgun and the light in the front. Took a couple of people down with it too. They became compliant pretty damm pronto.

I stood in the middle of a major intersection after a 48 minute vehicle pursuit with it at port arms one night. I was ready to do whatever it took to end that crap. Luckily for him, he ran out of gas before he got to me. We were all out of gas. This was before stop sticks....

I know this is not the place to sell stuff, but the fore-end is just sitting on the shelf now. I wouldn't mind getting it to someone who might need it.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Justin, all that stuff on the gun hurts my face just looking at it.:D

I was in class with a BDS guy from State once. He had all that crap on the gun, his face was a bloody mess after TD1. But his head was round like mine.

What to do with an 870? Nothing.

You need a sling. $3 surplus sling at a gun show will cover this.

Some way of carrying ammo on the gun. Remember the secret to shotguns is reloading. Butt cuff or side saddle. I went to the Mesa Side Saddle and it is the bee's knees. Very nice.

Maybe a light. Lots of good lights out there now.

Stock? All those moving parts can cut your face. Get a wood stock and cut it down to 12" LOP. Will help you in manipulations and in shooting. The guys at the gun shop all point the guns at imaginary geese. You won't be fighting geese. Your forearms are not 15" long, cut the stock down.

Sights. I like ghostrings. Help keep my head down. Lots of good sights out there now.

Mag extensions? No. Add weight to the gun and they are more prone to malf.

Lasers/Phasers? No. Just no.

Go to a pawn shop, go buy a rescue for cheap. You can have a very nice shotgun for cheap.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Frist, OP, you need to define "combat".

Second - you need to define, for yourself, what your actual and intended uses are/will be.

One of these days I'll find an 870 that I'm willing to afford - and then I plan on a similar setup to what VUPDblue runs. It probably won't be identical, but I do plan on a short LOP stock and a mag tube extension. I also plan on an upgraded follower and safety.

Everything else - who knows.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Justin, all that stuff on the gun hurts my face just looking at it.:D

I was in class with a BDS guy from State once. He had all that crap on the gun, his face was a bloody mess after TD1. But his head was round like mine.

What to do with an 870? Nothing.

You need a sling. $3 surplus sling at a gun show will cover this.

Some way of carrying ammo on the gun. Remember the secret to shotguns is reloading. Butt cuff or side saddle. I went to the Mesa Side Saddle and it is the bee's knees. Very nice.

Maybe a light. Lots of good lights out there now.

Stock? All those moving parts can cut your face. Get a wood stock and cut it down to 12" LOP. Will help you in manipulations and in shooting. The guys at the gun shop all point the guns at imaginary geese. You won't be fighting geese. Your forearms are not 15" long, cut the stock down.

Sights. I like ghostrings. Help keep my head down. Lots of good sights out there now.

Mag extensions? No. Add weight to the gun and they are more prone to malf.

Lasers/Phasers? No. Just no.

Go to a pawn shop, go buy a rescue for cheap. You can have a very nice shotgun for cheap.

I didnt attach that picture as an example of what I am trying to build. I attached it to see if anyone else saw what I did which appeared to be a pump action tubular fed shotgun with a magazine as well. I thought that was clear in the post but maybe not. Anyhow, I appreciate your input!

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Frist, OP, you need to define "combat".

Second - you need to define, for yourself, what your actual and intended uses are/will be.

One of these days I'll find an 870 that I'm willing to afford - and then I plan on a similar setup to what VUPDblue runs. It probably won't be identical, but I do plan on a short LOP stock and a mag tube extension. I also plan on an upgraded follower and safety.

Everything else - who knows.

Okay let me clear some of that up. I am looking for something to fill the void where my 26" Rem 870 used to be. I keep all of my weapons in my gun safe except for 2.. well 1 now. Anyhow, I always kept my Rem 870 on a mount between my bed and the wall. I also keep my Glock 19 in a Stack On drawer safe in my night stand. About a month ago I went to shoot the 870 and noticed some signs of rust on the barrel and reciever. I cleaned it up and now keep it in the safe. I saw a nice Remington 887 at my LGS this weekend. View attachment 22415Almost all of this shotgun seemed to me synthetic and what wasn't or couldnt be was coated with something from the factory. Maybe cerakote? Which I believe would make the shotgun much more durable and almost eliminate the rust issue on the outside of the weapon At a price of $400 it didnt seem to bad.

In a nutshell I am looking to buy or build a purposed home defense shotgun. BUT I am looking to do some custom work to this shotgun. Maybe OCP (Multicam) cerakote etc. Hold on hold on before I get a bunch of slack from everyone, NO I dont think cerakote or any other ad on is going to magically make this shotgun more effective. I simply love guns. I love to take something and make it my own. Come on I know there are guys on here like me.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    OP. The magazine fed 870 you seen is still a work in progress. The launched the finished product for the mossberg 500 but are still working on the 870. It isnt magazine and tube fed though. Its only magazine fed. To each his own but an 870 with a 20 round drum has got to be a tank. Second, the receiver with the collapsible stock is just a plain jane 870 receiver with a mesa tactical conversion on it. They have 3 different configs. In my opinion after putting hundreds of dollars in aftermarket goodies into my Mossberg 500 then buying an 870 then keeping both lol is that collapsible stocks belong on AR 15's. Buy an 870 with an 18" barrel and slap a good light on it and thats all you need. If you need the shotgun to be lighter then the Mossberg 500 may suit your needs.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    OP. The magazine fed 870 you seen is still a work in progress. The launched the finished product for the mossberg 500 but are still working on the 870. It isnt magazine and tube fed though. Its only magazine fed. To each his own but an 870 with a 20 round drum has got to be a tank. Second, the receiver with the collapsible stock is just a plain jane 870 receiver with a mesa tactical conversion on it. They have 3 different configs. In my opinion after putting hundreds of dollars in aftermarket goodies into my Mossberg 500 then buying an 870 then keeping both lol is that collapsible stocks belong on AR 15's. Buy an 870 with an 18" barrel and slap a good light on it and thats all you need. If you need the shotgun to be lighter then the Mossberg 500 may suit your needs.

Thanks for the input! Mesa was the only place I could find anything but just wanted to be sure there wasnt anything else out there. I know what I need and I unfortunately I know what I want lol and what I want is more than I need! :n00b: I dont really want a magazine fed shotgun I was just curious about that one in particular.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    out of all the stocks I have tried for the 870 I have found my current set up to fit me best

the magpul stock can be adjusted from 12.5"-14.5" LOP

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If you are a longhead the Magpul stock rocks (nice comb). It takes some rolling to fit my roundhead on it, but I do like that the Magpul stock can become short without anything to cut up your face.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom