• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    "The Wall" is political theater. An unmanned obstacle is a speed bump, not a barrier, and the only penalty for getting caught is having to try again tomorrow. I saw that in person in the late 90s. Back when NAFTA was going to fix it by removing the economic incentive and using military units to build wall 1.0 and assist in border patrol under Clinton. I've literally been there and watched illegals run across the border in flocks. You catch one, they all stop, because it's easier to try again tomorrow as a family unit than try to reconnect afterward. Now with cell phones so cheap and easily accessible, I assume even that's no longer an obstacle. If you want a wall to work, it's got to be protected and with deadly force, and nobody has the stomach for that.

Sure, you can cut illegals by legalizing them all. Amnesty for the ones who are here. Next up is the scare tactics they always use. My favorites are "jobs Americans won't do" which really means "for the wages and conditions offered" which leads to the second scare tactic of "prices will go up" and $5 tomatoes at the grocery store, because if (formerly illegal but now merit based) migrants don't pick them who will and labor costs money...and it's no longer the unskilled trades. I saw it in IT as well with the influx of Indians on tech worker visas. No, its very much about lowering wages. They can't sell you on that. "We'll let these people in to compete with you and cut your economic throat for our own profit" is a tough sell, so it's wrapped up differently but it takes VERY little effort to see the cycle and see that's exactly what's being done.
    Very well said. There is very little upside to either party in actually trying to solve the problem. Maintaining the charade is vastly more valuable.

Top Bottom