• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It would have been counterproductive for him to talk about any of that today. He did the right thing, saying "I'm talking about now, and the season, and contributing to the team. Contracts are an off-season discussion and I'm not getting into it."

Also: nothing produces sunshine and rainbows like winning.

I disagree with it being counterproductive. Put the ball in the teams court. Endear yourself to the fans.

“I love this team and these fans more than anything. I’d love to be here long term. We’ll see how it all works out.”

That puts it back on the Colts front office. Then if they don’t sign him it’s like, “Welp I tried. They didn’t want me.”

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I disagree with it being counterproductive. Put the ball in the teams court. Endear yourself to the fans.

“I love this team and these fans more than anything. I’d love to be here long term. We’ll see how it all works out.”

That puts it back on the Colts front office. Then if they don’t sign him it’s like, “Welp I tried. They didn’t want me.”
    Or he can play a couple of games to prove he's back and still effective then sit (to avoid injury) and wait for offers. Until he ditches his present agent I think this is very possible.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Except, now's not the time to put pressure anywhere, except on the team's opponents, on the field. Taylor did the right thing.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Or he can play a couple of games to prove he's back and still effective then sit (to avoid injury) and wait for offers. Until he ditches his present agent I think this is very possible.
    Zero chance that he sits. Under the current CBA, he would rack up $25K in fines each day that he sits out.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    From what I can find that is for missing pre-season meetings etc. He can practice, attend meetings and sit the games. He will miss 1/17th of his pay per game. Or come down with a mystery injury and be clear of all of it.
    Even if that were true, it would help is desire to get a huge second contract... how, exactly?

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Even if that were true, it would help is desire to get a huge second contract... how, exactly?
    He could sit after getting an offer.

"
    No one knows how long Taylor will play. Again, this dispute is over money, and Taylor does not want to risk the possibility of injury. Is it possible Taylor plays a few games, accrues a season under the terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, and then shuts it down?

From a financial leverage standpoint, the strategy would make sense. On the other hand, the Colts have the franchise tag and could still slap it on Taylor, keeping him a member of the Indianapolis Colts for another season."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    He could sit after getting an offer.

"
    No one knows how long Taylor will play. Again, this dispute is over money, and Taylor does not want to risk the possibility of injury. Is it possible Taylor plays a few games, accrues a season under the terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, and then shuts it down?

From a financial leverage standpoint, the strategy would make sense. On the other hand, the Colts have the franchise tag and could still slap it on Taylor, keeping him a member of the Indianapolis Colts for another season."

How can JT get any offers, when the Colts essentially own his rights this year and for both of the next two years, if they so choose?

JT not playing hurts JT the most, in the long run. There is no running back market in trade or free agency. And the trade deadline (31 October) will pass before JT could implement this "accrue a season and then sit" strategy.

As I've said all along, the best chance JT has of getting as big of a second contract as possible is with the Colts. If he plays then sits, he hurts his chance not just with the Colts, but with any other team that would even be considering him. And still: almost all of this drama has been manufactured by the media, who need their clickbait and their talking points.

Unless and until Taylor himself speaks publicly about contracts and his desire to stay in Indy or to go elsewhere, that will remain true. Literally the only thing known from JT himself is that he came into training camp a) still injured, and b) demanding a trade.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    And what will the Colts do if JT were to have, ahem, continued discomfort in his ankle that prevents his full participation? Hey coach, my back hurts. Hey coach, I tweeked a hammy. I have a headache, my pinky is in concusion protocol.... I didn't get the impression JT wants to play for the shoe. His words weren't obtuse but they sure weren't oozing commitment either. Time will tell.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom